Right clips for new blinds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
I got a very nice set of day/night shades (free) from another member here, figuring I would just use the L-brackets on my old blinds to mount the new ones.  The problem turned out to be that the old blinds had a wood frame routing the strings (L-bracket just screwed right into the wood) and the newer blinds were metal framed and seemed to need some specialized brackets.

I finally made it to the nearest RV store (40 miles away) yesterday and after some searching in the back the employee came out with a bag of 10 brackets that probably cost less than $5, and sold me 4 of them for $2.50 each.  ::)  He explained how they clip onto the miniblind bracket.  I started messing with it today and it seems fairly straightforward, but there is a gap between the bracket and the clip that would be screwed to the wall.  I'm not sure if the gap belongs... it's a pretty loose fit when I fit the bracket on there by hand, but maybe it'll be tighter once fastened to the wall?

See photos below... is that normal for these mounts, or do I need a different style/size?

Attachments

• DSC01109.JPG
    DSC01109.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC01110.JPG
    DSC01110.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 57
Scotty,

Call the company on the bottom of the blinds and ask for the proper clips.  I suspect they will send them free.  They have been very good on free stringing supplies and instructions and in helping when we bought new blinds for the windshield.  The blinds came out of a 2001 Newmar Dutch star.  She may need that information.

Scotty...Looks to me like you have the clips around the wrong way, anyway - unless you did that for photo purposes.  The holes in the clips are for mounting, either against the face of the frame/wall or for inside mount (fastening into the underside of the frame reveal).  In your case I doubt you have a recessed frame to worry about and the blinds would be surface mounted.  The opening of the clip would be facing you and the blind pushed into it, usually 'snapping' in place.  The clips may not be the correct type and "No" there shouldn't be a gap if installed correctly. 

BT

There are mounting holes on both sides of the "L", and it appears the clips can be used for two different sized miniblind frames.  The problem is if I turn them around, that end of the "L" is shorter and the clip won't even get close to "snapping" in place over the top of the frame.  Hmm.  :mad:  I hate when this little stuff gets complicated!  :)

I was thinking of gluing a small square of wood, cork, or something else onto the back of the frame to fill in that gap and help those clips hold the blinds up.

Jim Godward said:
Scotty,

I'll have to go look when I am in the MH this afternoon.

Well  it wasn't that afternoon and I still haven't done it as I have to take the valence off to see the right way.  i have other stuff I have to do for the next 3 days but will try to get to it this weekend if you have not solved the problem by then

Did you call the maker??

No big hurry Jim.  :)  I assumed they were closed Monday for the holiday, and didn't get a chance today.  While I'm thinking of it, I'll go outside right now and get the phone # off the frame for a call tomorrow.

I got ahold of Specialty Window Coverings this morning, and they have the clips available for $11 total.  So since I already spent $10 on the ones shown above, I think I'll try to make them work first before ordering another set.  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom