electric water heater - no hot water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon Cuz

The electric water heater in my 06 Journey is not making hot water. I have checked the CB, it is OK. Is there any other thing that could be a problem besides the element? If not can I check the element or do I replace it. If so how do I replace it?

Joncuz

Have you checked the switch for the water heater? Does it have an "on" indicator? If so, and not "on", it may have failed. There is also a reset on the back of the heater for  some Atwood heater models.  Often hard to get at, but simple to reset (a red push button).
But yes, you can repalce the heater element if it comes to that. You can get OEM parts at RV shops, but hardware stores often have an equivalent one for less $$.

You didn't mention what make/model of water heater you have, but it is likely an Atwood.

There's usually a reset on the hi temperature cutoff that you might have to reset if the heater was turned on with no water in it.

Also, check the Energy Management System to make sure the "Water Heater" led is ON. 

Good luck,
Bill

To answer your questions, and a couple more of my own. It is an Atwood 10 gal. It works on propane.The red light in the on/off switch burned out a while ago but the tank continued to heat.The water heater LED is on. How do you access the back of the water tank? Where is the reset on the hi temperature cut off? How do you access the heating element?

Thanks for the input.

Jon

All the 120v electric stuff is on the back side of the heater, opposite the propane stuff you can see from the outside access panel. Your coach may or may not have access to it - depends on year, model & floor plan.

Jon
I had the same problem.  It was the reset hi temp. button at the rear of the heater.  Mine is accessed by a plastic screw on cover located under your coach, lying on your back and at the rear of the heater.
Just for info purposes. I had a mobil rv tech. come out to my site.  He said he reset the button.
He also said not to turn on the elect. part of the heater after driving long distances.  Wait awhile as he thinks the motoraid  allready has the water above temp. and trips the breaker.
Dont know if thats true, but I do it anyway.

The motoraid works well on my rig too.  I usually don't turn the electric element off unless I dry camp (to avoid hitting the inverter with a big load when I swith it on).  The high temp breaker has never tripped on my WH. 

Sarge

I have never seen a water heater electric hooked up to the inverter. But then it might have been hooked up that way by an owner.

Finally got out to and under the coach today. Re the reset button, I found a screw off access panel on the back of the compartment holding the water heater. I took that off and could not find anything that felt like a button. ( I could not get high enough to see inside the compartment.) Am I in the right area.

Jon

You never did say whether you get hot water with gas.

If you don't it may be something as simple as the by=pass valve for the water Heater is in the 'winterizing position'.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom