New TV and Surround Sound System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John - I found an old doc that I got from Winnie that describes the process for modifying the Sony TV's to work with the DHS system but the file size is approx. 3 MB and the system won't allow me to post it. The message was something to the effect that I needed permission. I truly believe this doc will shed light on the problem or at least add to the equation.
How can I attach this doc which, BTW, includes god pics?

TomC

me too! ;D  It's keeping me quite occupied too while recovering from some OP surgery. I can be up and at 'em tomorrow PTL till next time.

Lou (onaquest) said:
John, you found  A  solution, but not  THE  solution.

TomC's problem was that the audio from his TV was fixed amplitude and the AMP did not have a volume control.

You still have the same problem with your proposed solution.  The digital output on all my devices is not volume controllable from the source remote.  Volume is controlled within the receiver/amplifier.  (presumably, once it's converted to analog to be sent to the speakers)

The referenced converter made no mention of having the smarts, to not only convert the digital audio to analog, but to provide a variable output.

Tom's problem and Olive's problem may be slightly different.  The final solution to each problem is going to be interesting.

The beat goes on.......
Actually (tooting own horn..) I found the solution and posted it earlier here. There is a company that makes a stereo line-level IR (as in remote) controlled volume control, and it's cheep. BUT... It's in kit form.

John- I agree that the model change more than they need to, but maybe those of us that have done this can bullet-point the Do, Don't's, and "Watch out for" 's...  MAN is that sentence a punctuation nightmare..

If you start it I'lldo a review with pix on mine. And if the rest join in it should start to be a pretty nice knowledge base given a little time.

[quote author=TomC].... the file size is approx. 3 MB and the system won't allow me to post it.How can I attach this doc which, BTW, includes god pics?[/quote]

Tom, if it's a copyrighted document, it can't be attached or uploaded here without permission from the author/copyright owner. We have a maximum file size for individual attachments of 250K, but I'll gladly add it to the library if you email it to me and you have permission from the copyright owner.

Lou (onaquest) said:
Come on  now!

You Winni guys are about to disappoint me.  I thought you guys were a well connected, well informed bunch of guys who knew all there was to know about your brand of RV. 

This is a Winni specific problem, like it or not.  Suck it up and step up.......

The problem is that no one seems to know what the (Winni) pseudo surround sound amplifier looks like, what it's capabilities or limitations are, or where to find it.

All that TomC is asking is;  where in the hell RV is it?   

It's show time.........

hard to help when I don't have one in your MH ;D

TomC said:
John - I found an old doc that I got from Winnie that describes the process for modifying the Sony TV's to work with the DHS system but the file size is approx. 3 MB and the system won't allow me to post it. The message was something to the effect that I needed permission. I truly believe this doc will shed light on the problem or at least add to the equation.
How can I attach this doc which, BTW, includes god pics?

Tom - I can ask my contact at Winnebago for permission if you wish.

TomC said:
John - Can't accept your wager because all that impedance stuff went right over my head. Perhaps I'm in over my head.
Seriously, can you give a simple explanation for that.

Ya'll have been busy in this thread  :D

I'll try for a simple explanation, but it has been many years since I had electronic theory ..

In alternating current circuits (as in not DC), electrical resistance is expressed as ohms of impedance (abbreviated as 'Z').  For the best circuit efficiency (maximum transfer of power), impedance needs to be closely matched.  In this situation, speakers are usually four or eight ohms, amplifier inputs are somewhere in the range of 1-2k ohms (or could be 10K.)  If you directly connected the speakers to the input of the amp, you would have a serious impedance mismatch, very poor efficiency at way too high of a signal level, perhaps distortion and you would undoubtedly drive the amp way too hard.

Another common example would be a transmitter - for an example a CB radio (among others) has an output impedance of 52 ohms.  If you connect an antenna that is not in resonance (not tuned to the particular frequency of the transmitter), there is a mismatch and transmit power will not all be present at the antenna and some will be 'reflected' back to the radio.  So instead of three or 3.5 watts of power at the antenna, you might have one or two watts (or less or more depending on the mismatch.)

The transformer (matching transformer in this situation) primary winding and secondary winding have a different number of turns - this ratio of turns will determine if the transformer is a step-up, step-down, or if a one-to-one ratio, called an isolation transformer.  To design the transformer we would divide 2,000 by 8 and the result is the ratio we need of primary to secondary windings.

The size of the transformer (wire gauge) is determined by how much current it must handle.  For our matching transformer, the current levels are very small, so the transformer can be physically small.

I know there are a bunch of hams on the forum, so if I made a mess of the explanation, please clarify where necessary.

John, I'm not a ham, more like a pork chop, but I think you did an admirable job with your explanation. ;) ;D ;D

John - That would be great if you can get permission from your Winnie contact. The docs are "Product Modification Process MT02.doc" and "MVC-003F.jpg"
Good luck

TomC

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom