front and rear television

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ebbs

MY 2004 SUNDANCER HAS FRONT AND REAR TELEVISIONS, SURROUND SOUND, SATELLITE, THE REAR TV DOES NOT WORK WITH THE DVD VCR BUT WORKS WITH ALL OTER FUNCTIONS. IT HAS A WINEGUARD SWITCHING BOX. IS THIS NORMAL?

Hi ebbs - welcome to the forum!  Make yourself at home and please look around.  One request - please do not use all capitals in your posting, it is more difficult to read and in Internet circles, this is considered 'shouting.'

We have front and rear TVs as well and we can switch the rear TV to DVD or the antenna.  You could take a look at your audio/visual wiring diagram and trace out the connections.  It is all controlled by the Wineguard switch box.  There is a link to wiring diagrams in the resources sticky.

I have a 2006 Voyage and like yours the rear TV only has a cable going to it. The Front TV has a cable and ATV  cable from the VHS and DVD player. I wish I could run ATV cable back there but what a job! Art

The capability you are looking for requires an RF modulator between the A/V outputs of the DVD player and the cable going to the rear TV.  Some models of the Winegard A/V switch box have this feature and some don't.

You can purchase a modulator (converts your A/V signal to a channel 3 or 4 composite signal) very cheaply.  These modulators were very popular for adding gaming capability to the old "rec room" TV. :D

You may have to add to, or alter, your switching capabilities in the front entertainment cabinet.

Attached is a copy of my setup... 

Attachments

• RV Entertainment Cabinet future.jpg
    RV Entertainment Cabinet future.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 57
The original poster said "IT HAS A WINEGUARD SWITCHING BOX."  (Please do not shout)

Now, Winegard makes many switching boxes... The one in MY rig has buttons (one fore each destination) labeled DVD.  IT has a MODULATOR built in

However with the FRONT tv I can select DVD via one of the A/V in lines.  Thus bypassing the switch (Very handy actually since I can leave the set on VCR or ANT or CABLE)

If I do this then the position of the power switch, on the switch box (A small round button in the upper left on my box) matters not.. This is the same button that provides power to the roof-top antenna by the way.

However the REAR set does not have this options (Well. Did not, long story) it only gets DVD via the RF-feed

So the Winegard box has a modulator built in, it has LINE Inputs from the DVD, and it converts to RF to send to the bedroom

At least the model I have does... I know some winegard switched so not

But before you buy... Check to see if yours has that feature and you have simply turned it OFF

John From Detroit
Good Info. I just found my 2006 Voyage does not have that feature. As Ebbs is a 2004 he more than likely does not. The way to tell is if you have the 3 color Av inputs (red, white, yellow,) on the back of the Wineguard then you do have the good one! Thanks now I know how I can get DVD to the back TV. Art

you can watch the dvd player on all of our tv's front rear and outside, but you can only hear the sound in the front one. The reason for this is the dvd has the built in 5.1 amp which is worthless. :mad:

If you don't have the 3-color jacks on he back of the winegard then you might try your VCR. if you have one, use LINE IN on the vcr for the DVD

Or as others have said, get a modulator, cheaper than a new switch

kevin said:
you can watch the dvd player on all of our tv's front rear and outside, but you can only hear the sound in the front one. The reason for this is the dvd has the built in 5.1 amp which is worthless. :mad:

Kevin, the answer to your situation is to add an inexpensive (stand alone) DVD player to the mix and switch the A/V outputs as you currently do the existing sources.  You can still use the existing DVD (with the 5.1 sound) with the main RV.

already added one in the back, and the outside already has one too, but that doesn't solve the problem, if you want to watch a dvd inside, and you happen to be grilling you can't watch it on all tv's and have sound, just in the main room. That is why i say it is worthless to me. ;D

Now I see your problem ...  Your problem is that you are trying to do too many things at one time. ;D ;D

I'm not sure how many folks here would perceive what you described to be a real problem ;) ???

thanks for all the replies. my winegard video switching box does not have a built in modulator, so i added a modulator connecting the audio vodeo cables that originally went from the vcr/dvd to the main tv to the modulator instead of the tv than connected a rf cable from the modulator to the auxiliary input of the switching box. now i can view dvd on rear tv as well as front surround sound works and all is good. thanks again, have any class c owners tried bal qtg leveler stabilizer scissor jacks on a rig such as my 04 430v sundancer i have a new in the box set with power packs and dont know if i want to install or sell them and find a better way to level as this rig seems to be real tough to get level.

Thanks for the feed back.  It's always nice to know if we were of any help.

Can't help with the levelers, however.

Lou (onaquest) said:
Now I see your problem ...  Your problem is that you are trying to do too many things at one time. ;D ;D

I'm not sure how many folks here would perceive what you described to be a real problem ;) ???
it's just nice to be able to start a movie while I'm grilling out side, and be able to finish it inside without removeing the dvd from one player to another. just me though.

Kevin, I didn't press the point earlier, but you could solve your problem the same way the OP did.  Put the additional DVD player in the entertainment cabinet ahead of the switch and you could switch the output to all the TV's (including the audio).  Just don't use the current one with built-in audio when you think you will want to move between tv's.

It wouldn't be worth it to me, but then I can't grill and watch a movie at the same time without screwing up one or the other. :D ;D

ebbs said:
... have any class c owners tried bal qtg leveler stabilizer scissor jacks on a rig such as my 04 430v sundancer i have a new in the box set with power packs and dont know if i want to install or sell them and find a better way to level as this rig seems to be real tough to get level.

I'd start a new thread about leveling jacks if I were you...

Lou (onaquest) said:
Kevin, I didn't press the point earlier, but you could solve your problem the same way the OP did.  Put the additional DVD player in the entertainment cabinet ahead of the switch and you could switch the output to all the TV's (including the audio).  Just don't use the current one with built-in audio when you think you will want to move between tv's.

It wouldn't be worth it to me, but then I can't grill and watch a movie at the same time without screwing up one or the other. :D ;D
true but then you only have the tv audio, and that ain't nothing to right home about either. plus starting to loose room in the little cabinet with the sat reciever and all. So I will do what I have for the last 2plus years, deal with it. Trust me if that were the only problems that we have I'd have it made.

Back
Top Bottom