EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Alaska with the Stocks 2009  (Read 107169 times)

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
Re: Alaska with the Stocks 2009
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2009, 09:33:10 PM »
Let me echo Betty - your travel journal is anything but dull. 
Margi

Thanks so much.  i really wasn't fishing for compliments, but they did inspire me to post tonight (I was going to combine the next two days.)

Linda
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA
2006 Airstream Motor Home
2006 Jeep Liberty (Towed)

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2009, 09:42:10 PM »
I was so sorry the Top of the World highway was in such poor shape this year. 

There is a fun store in Anchorage (if it's still there) called New Sagayas -- and I may have murdered the spelling.  Pam Van Luchene recommended it.  It has all kinds of really fresh fish, many exotic seasonings, and all kinds of kitchen gadgets.  It's a neat place to wander around.  They also served a lunch buffet.

Margi

We got so much dust inside our GPS on TOTW that our GPS stopped functioning and will not eject the disc so Dean can clean it out.  He is working with Pioneer to try to get it going again.  Until then, I am functioning as navigator in the RV.  In the Jeep, the GPS disc does not cover AK (and purchase of one that does would cost $300), so I am practicing my map-reading there, too.  Scary, it is.  In fact, we went by New Sagayas when we were lost somewhere, and I recognized the name from someone's log.  I should have noted its location, but I will find out where it is and go there--it's inside, so it's dry!
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2009, 10:40:56 PM »
Did you feel today's earthquake?  It was reported at 5.7 epicentered in Willows, east of Anchorage.  Probably not strong enough to cause extensive damage, but strong enough to shake Anchorage a bit?

Do take in New Sagayas.  It's just one of those neat places to stroll through.  The fish is FRESH.  We pulled a little '86 Suzuki cloth top on that trip and could barely find a place for it in the parking lot around lunch time.  Lots of Anchorage business people were there for lunch.  What better recommendation?  :D

Margi

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2009, 01:23:45 AM »
June 22, 2009   Day 31   Anchorage, AK

When we awakened, it wasn't raining!  I have been wanting to barbecue fish since Valdez, and I wanted to have fish for breakfast.  Dean didn't, but he promised he would barbecue it tonight, even if he had to do it under the awning in the rain, which he is doing right now.  I unwrapped the planks and put one to soak at 6:00, ready to start cooking at 6:20.  Oops!  When Dean took it out, it had cloned, and there were two.   One side was not wet, so back into the sink it went, and we started over again. 
   Before we left Cypress, Dean bought a very expensive Motostat, which has not been able to find a signal since we hit Canada.  We've been in contact with them, and they said we were not far enough west, gave us new settings, etc.  Today we decided Anchorage is far enough west, and we were going to get it working.  WiFi has been very unreliable at RV parks despite what Trailer Life says, and I wanted our Motostat to work and work well.  By the way, I have found a way to get good WiFi at the last 3 stops.  I call as soon as I know what town we'll be in and tell the RV park that I must have WiFi or I can't stay, and they park us near the office.  We have had good reception when others in the park have not. Dean went through hassles, inputting and jumping through hoops, and they closed without getting us fixed.  We will open with them at 6 a.m. our time tomorrow morning.
   Our only excitement today was at about 11:28 a.m. when our RV shook quite a bit due to a 5.4 earthquake.  I was glad that we weren't on the water at Valdez.  Sherlock just looked at us because it felt very much like it does when Dean retracts the jacks.  We had a smaller aftershock later.

Weather:  Rain off and on until 3:30, then the sun comes out for about 3 hours when it's too late to go to an outside activity like the Botanical Garden or Zoo, then more rain.  High of 54°F, winds 5-10 mph, nice weather if you have on jeans (not shorts!)

Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Ian

• ---
  • Oh give me a mobile home, so I can roam
    • My family web site
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2009, 03:50:14 AM »
We got so much dust inside our GPS on TOTW that our GPS stopped functioning and will not eject the disc so Dean can clean it out.  He is working with Pioneer to try to get it going again.  
In older days the CD/DVD players used to have a small hole in the face plate. This would allow the user to insert an opened paperclip or similar sized wire/probe and that would manipulate the drive wheel which would gradually unlock the tray and allow the CD to release. If you have such a hole in the faceplate then find a paperclip and see if that helps. If there isn't a hole then you need expert attention.

Attached pic will show some options for the hole locations.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 05:32:41 AM by Ian »
Cheers, Ian - from Adelaide, South Australia. GMT+0930 +1 for Daylight Robbery - Oct to Apr
A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles. Tim Cahill
A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it. John Steinbeck

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2009, 09:32:48 PM »
Linda, are you talking about the TV or internet MotoSat dish?  We had MotoSat TV and couldn't get signals after about Prince Rupert.  On the return down the Alcan we got TV at Soldier's Summit but no where else until we got closer to the U.S.  No one else could get it either, so don't be surprised if you're out of range.  Someone in Skagway told us you have to have a really big dish up there because of the latitude and we've since heard the same thing.  We had the same situation in Newfoundland, except for the first night which wasn't very far from the ferry dock.

Writing the above reminds me that every day as we'd pull into a campground on the Alaska trip Jerry would put up the dish and almost immediately there would be a crowd of guys around asking, "Can you get it to work?"  None of them could either.  ;D

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2009, 10:29:30 PM »
Ardra,

Fred and I both bought 30 or 32 inches dishes in Dawson Creek to try to maintain TV reception. I can say it wasn't worth the money. Worked a few places.

Ken
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2009, 10:35:42 PM »
Ken, that's interesting.  I wonder how our new 5 LNB dish would work up there.  It is larger than the previous one but the way it triangulates to get the right satellite might preclude its usefulness too.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Dawn

« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2009, 10:54:18 AM »
Until then, I am functioning as navigator in the RV. 

That's the scariest thing you've typed yet! :o 
Dawn

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2009, 11:59:26 AM »
June 23 & 24   Days 32 & 33   Anchorage, AK

Dean spent half of Tuesday, all day Wednesday, and an hour this morning working with MotoStat trying to get the internet working.  He was on the phone and busy continuously with it, with no breaks, about a 12-hour exercise. We have read with a great deal of interest the replies, and if misery loves company, we're happy.  Unfortunately, everyone agreed today that it just doesn't work here.  Dean's thinking is that the footprint should be largest in Anchorage.  He'll try again in Homer, but I'm focusing on the things we can do and see. 
   We had heard from other tourists that the Anchorage Zoo was poor, so we decided to go check it out ourselves.  It is small, but if your expectations aren't too high, you, too, could have a nice afternoon there.  They had most of the Alaskan animals, and they were awake!  We saw owls, bears, hawks, foxes, deer, eagles, lynx, wolverines, a river otter, a harbor seal, musk oxen, an amur tiger, Dall sheep, a snow leopard, caribou, freshly shorn alpacas, yaks, a porcupine, moose, and more.  There were signs giving the facts about each, and I'm sure it's very expensive to keep it going.  Each of the 6 wolves needs about 10 pounds of food per day.  Admission was only $12 (I used a Toursaver coupon and got in free), and we had a good time.
   I've been cold, and I found a wonderful "Alaska" coat today.  It has lots of pockets, lots of layers, and is cuddly.  I love it!  Meanwhile, Dean wore shorts.
   We got our mail yesterday, took care of business today, and will move to Homer tomorrow.

Wildlife:  Wendy, I know stuffed animals don't count, but how about animals in zoos?  If so, we had a great count today.  We did see 2 uncaged squirrels.

Weather:  We saw the sun a few times today!  Cloudy, high of 57°F, a few minutes of rain a few times today, but mostly dry.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2009, 12:07:26 PM »
Day 32 & 33 jpart 2

The zoo had elevated boardwalks for viewing of some of the exhibits without having bars between you and the animals.  This made taking pictures much better.

More photos.

Dean
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2009, 12:16:33 PM »
We had HughesNet coverage everywhere in AK that we could see the horizon, including Anchorage.  You are on the Horizons 1 127W satellite, right?  That's the only one that works reliably in AK.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2009, 12:23:32 PM »
Linda:

We also had good coverage in Anchorage with 127W. Tell Dean not to givre up, they always try to fond a reason other than their equipment.

Mike (ex-f-221)

• ---
« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2009, 03:56:30 PM »
The last photos:
#4 before and #3 after a visit at the barbershop?
Mike Muellner
Bremerhaven, Germany

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2009, 04:02:03 PM »
Mike, LOL

Where is PETA when we need them. They are worried about killing a fly. Guess you know what I am talking about. I'll kill a fly in a moment and love animals in safe quarters in a Zoo... free meals..

carson FL

Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2009, 10:21:12 PM »
The last photos:
#4 before and #3 after a visit at the barbershop?

#3 was definitely after.  There was one unshorn alpaca in the pen, and we should have pictured him for comparison.  The shaggy beast (#4) is actually two beasts--a mother yak and her baby.  They just kind of look like a big blob of fur.  I didn't even realize the baby was there nursing until s(he) moved.  They could definitely use a trip to the barbershop!
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2009, 03:34:12 AM »
June 25, 2009   Day 34   Seward, AK

What a glorious day!  When we awoke, there was no rain, AND the SUN was SHINING! I thought to myself, "How stupid we are to be leaving!"  I had read the weather reports, and Homer was supposed to have rain for the next 5 days, so we decided to try Seward instead.
   We were going right by Potter’s Marsh, and we couldn't resist stopping to see wildlife on such a gorgeous day.  We saw an Arctic tern right away, zigzagging over the water catching fish.  We were mesmerized by his quick turns and acrobatics, forgetting to get a picture until the last minute as he was flying away. We heard lots of songbirds, but they were hidden by the trees and grasses.  I did spot 2 Canadian geese in the grass.  There was a nesting box right next to the boardwalk (which was quite extensive).  The parents were busily flying food in for the chicks inside.  They had a turn-around time of less than a minute when delivering, and it took them about 10 minutes to collect the food.  They were white-bellied, with back and wing feathers of the most beautiful royal purple-blue color.  I wondered if they might be starlings.  Unfortunately, they were quicker than we were, so no photos.
     Quietly sitting near the boardwalk were two families of geese, one with mom, dad, and 3 goslings; the other was mom, dad, and 2 goslings.  All the bird parents we saw today were very attentive, guarding their young and providing for them.
   I think I've seen 3 of the "Big 5" in Alaska-bear, orca, caribou.  But, I haven't seen a wild moose I could count-the big brown blob we saw behind the rock doesn't count.  I told Dean at the beginning of the day that I envisioned seeing a moose standing in a lily pond.  I was surprised when The Milepost said we were coming to Lily Pond, and to watch for moose.  We watched, but all we saw was a pond completely covered with lilies that were about to bloom.  So we stopped and took a picture of this pretty pond.  I thought about photo-shopping in a moose, but only for a second.  The owner of our campground says they had a moose stroll through 3 days ago.  Is the 5th animal of the “Alaskan Big Five” a Dall sheep?
   We're in a very nice campground on a creek. A new electrical problem is giving Dean new challenges, so we went out to dinner at Chinook’s Waterfront.  The bill for food only was $53.36, with a coupon for 5% off from our RV cg.  The fish was good, but the sides were just wild rice and a tiny bit of cole slaw.  Afterwards we drove around and familiarized ourselves with the layout of Seward. 
   I am so glad Dean has technical skills and can work with the problems we are encountering.  As soon as we get this new problem straightened out, Dean will try some of the technical advice Forum members have sent us.  Thank you all.

Wildlife:  2 magpies, 11 Canadian geese, 1 sandpiper, 2 possible starlings
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2009, 10:35:50 AM »
That's the scariest thing you've typed yet! :o 

Even with the young, memories sometimes fail us.  Do you remember going somewhere special every Friday during the summer?  Do you remember a mother who taught you and your brother to use a Thomas Guide when you were about 8 years old and who drove where you told me, even when I knew it was the wrong direction?  Do you remember being hired as a dispatcher for the Sheriff's Department based primarily on your excellent knowledge of the freeways and map-reading? 

The main navigation problem I have is maps with too little detail, and up here in Alaska, most cities don't have a whole lot of streets, and there is only one big highway going from city to city.  Piece of cake!
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

gmsboss1

• ---
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2009, 05:22:45 PM »
HI Linda and Dean--

Having "done" a blog with entries almost every day for our last trip which was from the last week in March until mid June, we're well aware of the time and thought that goes into this effort you are making for us and wanted to send you a big THANKS!

Mary Ann and I haven't made the trip to Alaska, so we look forward every day to sharing your adventure -- and the pictures are great.  Please keep it going!

Hope the electrical gremlins get exorcized soon and that the rest of your trip is easier.

Thanks again.

Don and Mary Ann
Don and Mary Ann (Pelicanlady) Nesbitt
Cary, NC
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40X
2012 Jeep GC Overland 4x4 Hemi Toad
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away!

Dawn

« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2009, 01:10:42 PM »
Do you remember going somewhere special every Friday during the summer?  Do you remember a mother who taught you and your brother to use a Thomas Guide when you were about 8 years old and who drove where you told me, even when I knew it was the wrong direction?  Do you remember being hired as a dispatcher for the Sheriff's Department based primarily on your excellent knowledge of the freeways and map-reading? 

The main navigation problem I have is maps with too little detail, and up here in Alaska, most cities don't have a whole lot of streets, and there is only one big highway going from city to city.  Piece of cake!

Let me know when you hit Mexico. 
Dawn

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2009, 03:36:42 PM »
June 26, 2009   Day 35   Seward, AK

Wow!  Today good news and fun!  Dean got to talk to the inverter people first thing this morning, and apparently we need a new AC board.  It is being shipped by FedEx and should arrive on Monday. Until then, we barbecue, eat cold food, or eat out.  No hairdryer, vacuum, hot cider, etc.  How easy it is to get used to these luxuries like hot food and drinks.
   We went to The Bakery for a $9 breakfast omelet (no coupon), and then went next door to embark on our Renown wildlife cruise, which departed from the Seward harbor dock.  The Glacier Express is a 3-deck catamaran, and the cruise is 6 hours long. I believe this is the best Seward tour of the Kenai Fjords NP because the catamaran is the speediest and smoothest, so there is less chance of seasickness.  It cost $129, but I got to go for free (Toursaver coupon).
    We were greeted by National Park ranger Tom who was a former high-school teacher for 34 years, and he acted as our guide. As we pulled from the dock at 11:40, the clouds were thick and covered the sky; rain was predicted, and it was cold.
    We came upon several otters, floating on their backs with pups on their tummies.  They were pretty close to the shore, so you needed magnification to see them.  Everyone rushed out on the front of the boat, and being short and slow, I was not able to see because of the tall people in front of me.  There were "only" 80 people on this ship, which can accommodate 250 passengers.  I can't help but compare this with Stan Stephens' Valdez cruise where there was no crowding because they had railing and deck all around the outside, so there was plenty of room for everyone to have a front-row seat. 
   We were served lunch at 12:15.  It was a plastic basket with a bagel, smoked salmon or turkey, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, an oatmeal raisin cookie, and a sweet, juicy apple. We were given our choice of a free can of soda.  Subsequent sodas were $1, and coffee, tea, and water were available for free all day. The bagel and the cookie came from The Bakery, same place we had breakfast, and they were the best soft bagel and most delicious oatmeal cookie I've ever had.  We stopped and bought some more cookies because I wanted to try to figure out what the mystery ingredient was in the cookies that added a subtle caramel(?)flavor and a tiny bit of crunch. Unfortunately, we ordered oatmeal cookies and she said oatmeal cookies, but when we got them home, they were chocolate chip-but still very tasty.
   After a 3-hour cruise, we proceeded slowly into an ice field generated by the Aialik Glacier. Because the sky was so overcast, the glacier blue was really vivid, especially at the base. We got closer and closer, until we were within a quarter-mile of the glacier and heard what sounded like the hull running aground.  We stayed there about 30 minutes listening to the groaning, booming explosions, shotgun-type bangs.  These big sounds were followed by tiny showers of ice falling into the water.  The Mears Glacier on the Valdez cruise was just as noisy and gave off very large chunks. The captain had what I thought was a good idea; he asked for 20 minutes of silent time to allow everyone to hear all the sounds, but people just talked a little more quietly.
   We had bypassed 2 orcas on our way into the Aialik Glacier because there were two boats observing them, and that's the legal maximum.  There was a queue forming with one boat in line, and the captain told us we'd be the second.  Well, when we came back, the orcas were gone!  I was SO disappointed!
   We cruised and cruised and cruised when the captain finally said he had found orcas.  And did he!  Too many to count!  Two were on my side of the boat, then ducked under the boat, and came up on the other side.  There were many more on my side to watch, too, as well as on the other side where the two orcas had gone.  We went a little further and found more orcas, and there were Dall's porpoises playing ring-around-the-orca, zipping through the water in circles, almost looking like they were playing tag.  What a thrill!  Dll's porpoises' shapes and coloring are just like orcas, but they're about 1/5 the size and so energetic.  We'd seen them from afar several times earlier, and the captain had failed to go over to them, saying that they were feeding and wouldn't be interesting.  I had mentally named him the "Manana Captain" because he kept saying, "We'll see better later."  Well, he knew his business, and I guess that's why he's the captain and I am the passenger.  I'm glad I didn't verbalize my thought.
   The captain then took us to see the marine birds' nesting grounds.  There were thousands of kittiwakes (real name is true gull).  They look like miniature seagulls with black wing tips.  We were told there were cormorant nests, but I only saw one cormorant there, and he went behind the rock, so I couldn't see his nest.  We were also told there were murres.  I am familiar with them, but I didn't see any.  We have seen born horned and tufted puffins throughout the trip, just swimming alongside the boat.  It's hard to get a picture because they appear and disappear so quickly.
   We went a short way to the Stellar sea lion "haulout" where the bachelor sea lions and juveniles were basking in the newly-emerged sunlight.  There were more than 100 either on the rocks or in the water.  We were told their numbers have mysteriously declined by 90% (I'd previously heard 80%), and no one knows why-predators, changing temperatures due to global warming, disease.
   The cruise was wonderful, and I'm so glad we went.  I put my emphasis on seeing wildlife when thinking about where we'd be spending our money, so we will be doing several cruises.  The Stan Stephens Valdez Cruise still has its first-place ranking.

Weather:  Thick overcast which progressively thinned and became blue sky with some clouds and SUN.  High temp was 60°F.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2009, 03:39:53 PM »
Day 35 part 2,

More photos.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2009, 07:33:57 AM »
Hi Dean & Linda,

Are you going to stay at Seward and see the 4th of July race to the top of the mountain and back? This was one of the highlights of our visit there. One of the competitors, when we saw it was in a full "ELVIS" costume and did surprisingly well.   And of course there is also the great "OutHouse" race.  We took the all afternoon kayak tour across the sound and really enjoyed that (from the tour coupon book).

We've been reliving our trip with your posts. Thanks for taking the effort to keep us up to date with your travels.

Chet18013
Chet18013
Full time in a 45' '04 Monaco Signature
towing a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel

railroad

• Window to the World
« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2009, 08:57:07 PM »
Hi Linda & Dean:

Great log and writing style. I'm new to the Fourm (used to post many years back) but not new to Rv'ing. Heard about your trip from Chet (we've corresponed w/ e-mails) and my wife & I are about 3 weeks behind you. We're currently in Whitehorse and won't be leaving until next Tuesday. Then it is on to Dawson City, TOWH, Chicken, Tok and Fairbanks.

I've just spent the last 45 minutes scanning through you posts and sorry to hear of your troubles w/ the inverter.

I've been keeping our blog site up to date as best I can using the free wifi when available. Verizon had promised me aircard usage up here but never told me about the horrific roaming charges attached.

If you get the chance, check our site.

Playing golf tomorrow at Mountain View GC in Whitehorse then off to the Follies Monday nite.

Safe travels

Gene & Laurie

Gene & Laurie Zeiner
Full Time - "Hold on Tight To Your Dreams"
2007 Newmar Ventana 40' DP
2008 Honda CRV- Toad

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2009, 11:24:40 PM »
June 27   Day 36      Seward, AK

The sun was shining when we woke up, and we both said, "SUN!"  We puttered around doing mundane chores, had a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich for brunch since we can't cook, and set off for the SeaLife Center, the Seward aquarium.  We knew it was small because we drove by it yesterday, so our expectations were low.  We paid our $20 admission (Thanks to Toursaver, my ticket was free), and had a wonderful afternoon watching and learning about amorous marine birds, Stellar sea lions who were courting, and a cute orphaned otter. The sea otter, Skittles, was found almost frozen to a dock, and he will be airlifted to a Washington zoo in a few weeks.  The sea lions, Woody and Kiska, have been together for 16 years, but separated at mating time.  This year the Center decided to let them court, and the musky odor Woody emits is so strong sometimes that the guide can smell him way out in the parking lot. We saw pretty Harlequin ducks sitting on a log, and pigeon guillemots raised their beaks in a high-pitched song.  The male King eider is so pretty in a variety of colors (grey with a unique bump on his nose), and the reddish-brown female King eider looks entirely different.  I saw many of these birds on our cruise yesterday, and I was glad to learn their names.
   The moon jellies were beautiful as always.  We bought two great little DVDs on Alaskan animals and the antics they perform in their very nice gift shop.
   We went right across the street to the restaurant on the corner (sorry we can't find the receipt with the name), and we had a good meal of scallops, beef enchiladas, and clam chowder with coffee.  It cost $52 with tip; we had good service.
   Then we took a drive out to Lowell Point.  There were two remote RV camps on the water (for Class B & C RVs), and homes with a variety of architecture.  We stopped at the smallest Safeway I've ever seen and found that it had a nice variety of goods for sale.

Wildlife not at SeaLife Center:  1 wild otter, 2 robins

Stoney Creek Campground, $38.11, FHU, 50 amps, WIFI (selected sites & in meeting room that has tables and chairs), TV svc.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2009, 11:52:43 PM »
Day 36 part 2,

More photos.

Dean

Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #146 on: June 29, 2009, 01:19:32 AM »
Hi Dean & Linda,

Are you going to stay at Seward and see the 4th of July race to the top of the mountain and back? This was one of the highlights of our visit there. One of the competitors, when we saw it was in a full "ELVIS" costume and did surprisingly well.   And of course there is also the great "OutHouse" race. 

Chet18013

We're not sure where we'll be--the major factor will probably be when our inverter AC card arrives.  But, I'm so glad you wrote.  I'll go to the visitor center and see what they have planned for this year, and I will also call Homer's vc because we were thinking of moving on to Homer on Tuesday if all goes well.  Thank YOU for the good info.

Linda
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2009, 06:38:48 PM »
June 28, 2009   Day 37      Seward, AK

It rained all night, but the sun was shining when we awakened again!  Alaska is such a beautiful green, especially when illuminated by the sun.   I decided to go to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at Mile 79 on the Seward Highway, 73 miles from Seward.  I thought we might as well have some fun.
  We stopped at Mile 45 at the Summit Lake Lodge for a delightful breakfast.  The lodge was handcrafted in 1954, has a nice view of a lake, and is absolutely beautiful. Swallows were everywhere, bringing food into their babies. The lodge has wonderful pictures of wildlife, good food, and reasonable prices (omelets were $9.75 with potatoes and toast).  It also has good service, and clean, roomy, nicely decorated restrooms.
   The admission at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is $10/adults up to 65, $7.50/seniors (65 and over) and all fees go to conserve Alaskan wildlife.  The first thing we viewed was a grove of trees that were killed by saltwater from the nearby inlet when the land sank 10 feet as a result of the 1964 earthquake.  The signs were very informative.  I learned that after the barbed quill of the porcupine enters a person or animal's skin, the animal's body heat makes the skin swell around the barb and makes it more difficult to remove.  We saw prairie buffalo, musk oxen, wood bison, brown bears, wood bison, orphaned moose, big moose, caribou, elk, and Sitka black-tailed deer.  We found the black bear pen, but not its occupants.  We had seen most of these at the Anchorage Zoo, but this was special because all the animals had huge enclosures and seemed to be happy.  Their mission is to restore animals which have decreased in number and to educate all ages of people.  They are also doing research.
   We reveled in seeing the beautiful landscape on the drive and enjoyed the 2 hours we spent at AWCC.  We came home with our batteries re-charged, as well as those on the motorhome.  Within 2 minutes of arrival back the cg, rain started, and it hasn't stopped.  Rain is very considerate in Seward-it only rains at night so it doesn't interfere with our activities.

Wildlife not at AWCC:  2 magpies, 3 ducks (I think they were King eider females)

Daytime temp:  High 60's, slight breeze
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2009, 06:40:03 PM »
June 29   Day 38   Seward

Good news, bad news day.  Good news--Our inverter AC thingie arrived.  Bad news-the instructions that were included were not for our part.  Good news-it came at 4:00, so there was plenty of daylight left to install it if we could get a fax or verbal instructions.  Bad news-Washington is one hour later than Alaska, so they were closed.  We called the Stoney Creek cg office to get their fax number, and they said they would come in early to receive it.  Such nice people! 
   Good news-it was a beautiful sunny day to go see Exit Glacier and eat lunch by a stream while charging our RV batteries.  Bad news-Exit Glacier is small, appears dirty from ash from Redoubt, and is a 1-mile walk on a steep trail to get to actually put your toes on it, so I couldn't do it. 
   Good news-the Seward Salmon Bake, a restaurant on Exit Glacier Road which was recommended by locals, advertises "Good beer, lousy food".  We didn't try the beer, but the food was very good.  Bad news-it cost $54.  We need to get electricity back again so we can cook at home instead of eating out so often.

Daytime temp:  high of 60°F, slight breeze
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA

Dean & Linda Stock

• ---
« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2009, 06:41:13 PM »
June 30   Day 39   Homer

We called the inverter people as soon as they opened and found out that they don't usually include directions because most people hire an RV technician to do the work instead of doing it themselves.  They told Dean what he needed to make the repair
   We made the lovely scenic drive today from Seward to Homer.  We went through several lovely towns-Sodoltna, Kenai, Coopers Landing, Ninilchik-which were all humming with boat and RV activity.  I saw more boats and RVs today than I have in all the rest of the trip added together.  Fishermen were standing about 50 feet apart in the streams, just like a row of dominoes.  We wanted to take a picture, but the parking areas were full.  There were lots of streams, rivers, trees, greenery of all kinds.
   Dean wanted 50 amps, so we chose Oceanview RV park.  We did drive out to the spit, and the RV park out there is beautifully situated.  We may live on 30 amps out there for a day or two.  They are not much cheaper than here.
   WE HAVE ELECTRICITY!  At 10:40 p.m., Dean finished the installation of the inverter card, after several hours in cold, windy weather.  The heater came on and within minutes it was warm in the RV.  We'll sleep well tonight.
   Afterthought-while I was in the RV as Dean worked outside, I read "extra" pamphlets we had picked up.  I came across the information that the Seward Museum had two slide shows, "The History of Seward" and "The History of the Iditarod Trail" at 7 PM on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  If we had gone to the VC, we would have known that, and we would have seen these shows.  It's the only VC we haven't gone to first-I don't know why we didn't.  But, in Homer, it will be our first stop.

Distance traveled:  173 miles

Daytime Temperature:  High of 60°F, strong breeze

Staying at: Oceanview R.V. Park, $53.75 with 50 amps ($5 less for 30 amps), free cable (but you have to get a box in the office and wire it in), free wifi in the laundry room (or $9/12 hours, or $5/3 hours at your site, Laundry Room, here we come!) FHU, view of the mountains, in walking distance of downtown.
Dean and Linda Stock
and Sherlock (the cat)
Cypress, CA