rv exterior shine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quadrider

my rv has shinney spots and the rest of the rv is dull. I wanted to restore the shine but was inform that it wasnt posible to restore the shine on fiberglass by waxing or somthing else. There is a guy in my area advertising on craigslist that you can restore the finish. he estimate my rv at  a cost of 70 dollars in material and 2 days work at 600 dollars.he guaranted that the shine will come back and he will do a small section first to prove it. can it be restored and if so does anybody know how to restore the shine on fiberglass. money is tight and Im willing to do the work myself if it means saving 600 dollars.

Lots of previous discussions on this, and I'm the same boat as you are.  (That's the second time I've used a boat reference today on the RV forum! ??)  The main problem seems to be gelcoat, if that's how your fiberglass is coated.  Once it dulls substantially, it's like a clearcoat over the color and can be very hard or impossible to bring back completely.

My wife and I have a week-long anniversary trip (no kids) coming up in a couple weeks, with hopefully lots of leisure time around the campground.  I have a few different fiberglass products that I'm going to try in different areas of my MH's finish, and see what works best.  I plan on reporting back to the forum to share my experience, so stay tuned!

I had someone tell me the same thing and it did not work.  Looks really crummy now.  I tried just about everything suggested by this forum and nothing seemed to work.  Hope you have better luck.

I've heard some good reviews about REJEX, but have never used it myself.  As with all products, you need to make sure you have removed the oxidized layer before waxing with this stuff. 

Try some of the polishes that claim to be oxidation removers. It might help.  The marine (boat) polishes seem to do a bit better than the car types - they are designed for fiberglass and boats get severely oxidized. Be prepared for a lot of elbow grease.

There are no magic finish restorers and I suspect your guy's process won't do much either.  You could offer to pay for the materials up front and pay for the labor AFTERWARDS only if you are satisfied with the resulting shine.

RV Roamer said:
You could offer to pay for the materials up front and pay for the labor AFTERWARDS only if you are satisfied with the resulting shine.

It's not only the resulting shine but more importantly how long it lasts. I spent many hours using an oxidation remover and then wax on our motor home a couple years ago. It looked really good when I was finished but within three to four months was almost back to it's original condition and now doesn't look much worse than when I started. I would not go through all that work again for the way the final job eventually turned out. Once a fiberglass surfaced gets well oxidized, IMO, paint and big dollars are the only cures.

he is willing to prove that it will shine with no money up front and he show me before and after pictures of several jobs.the only question is how lond it will last.he claims it will last a long time.he been in the fiberglass and restoration businees for 20 years.I was hoping some one new how it is done so I could save 600 dollars.

quadrider said:
he is willing to prove that it will shine with no money up front and he show me before and after pictures of several jobs.the only question is how lond it will last.

If you have him do your motor home, try to find out what products he uses. This would be invaluable for many on the forum. Also, let us know how well it lasts. If I could find something which really works, as well as lasts a reasonable length of time, I might consider doing mine again. Thanks.

Just trying to help out a bit for folks with a shine problem on the RV.

There are basically 3 types of surfaces. (Not addressing bare metal, wood siding etc)  ;)

1. The older type is bare unpainted fiberglas, usually white.
2. Fiberglas coated with Gel coat... could be any color
3. Fiberglas with full body paint,
      Older models without Clear Coat
      Newer models with Clear coat.

I will address only item # 1.  (My RV).. There is no way to get a shine on it with ordinary methods, i.e. Automobile/Marine compounds and waxes. They won't last more than a few months, after hours/days of back-breaking work. There is, however, an easy way to clean it and prevent dirt accumulation to a very satisfactory level. My old RV looks like new and doesn't seem to want to get dirty any more. Furthermore, after I treated the entire fiberglas roof the same way, the white streaks down the sides after a rain are history. Problem over.

I have posted several entries on this. I invite you to search the forum for "Stop Wax" and see what you can find.

For all other finishes on your RV, there are myriad posts addressing that problem. So what type of RV finish do you have? Your choice.

Will be happy to answer any further questions.

carson FL

carson said:
     I have posted several entries on this. I invite you to search the forum for "Stop Wax" and see what you can find.

Carson,

I remember your post sometime ago about the Stop Wax and tried to find some. I believe that you said you purchased it from Home Depot. I tried two stores (Rochester and Tucson) and neither had it or had heard of it. Is that where you purchased yours?

When I encounter areas with oxidation, I use "hull-cleaner". I purchase it from West Marine, but it is in many other stores. It has gentle abrasives and chemical cleaners. After removing the oxidation, I wash with a regular automotive car-wash and then apply a couple of coats of marine wax, or synthetic polymer. The polymer is the best protector and the easiest to apply, but it is also the most expensive.

Richard, Something strange seems to be happening with that company..Their website is under construction, whatever that means. Maybe a victim of the times.

I purchased my supply a couple of times from our local Home Depot store not so long ago. They had lots on the shelves. Matter of fact another forum member confirmed that he found it there as well.

I don't know exactly who makes it, but it is made in the USA. The distributor is "Big Time Products, LLC" out of Rome GA.
  They have an Email: [email protected]

A google search seemed to be dubious. Haven't checked with HD lately on supply. Right now your guess is as good as mine. I am glad I got my supply when I did.

The UPC code is 7    31919 04101   2

Next time I go to HD I'll look for it and let you know.

Keep in touch.

carson FL

ps: I sent an E-mail to the company.

Richard,  more info... I received an e-mail back from the company.

Here is what they said> The Stop Wax product has been discontinued by Home Depot, therefore, we have discontinued it.  The website for the manufacturer is www.lustrelab.com.

I guess this is a sign of times

carson FL

Scottydl, you are going on a weeklong anniversary trip without the kids and you are planning to POLISH THE MOTORHOME?

carson said:
Here is what they said> The Stop Wax product has been discontinued by Home Depot, therefore, we have discontinued it.  The website for the manufacturer is www.lustrelab.com.

Carson,

Do you think that LustreLab? LXR? Inc. products are the same as the Stop Wax? Your e-mail response seems to indicate that they have discontinued the Stop Wax.

rankjo said:
Scottydl, you are going on a weeklong anniversary trip without the kids and you are planning to POLISH THE MOTORHOME?

LOL, maybe I didn't explain that well.  That's not the ONLY activity that will be going on.  ;D  Although my wife is already 5 months pregnant with our 3rd, so............

Seriously when I'm working and home with all the daily grind, I rarely have time for any kind of leisure activity to include "polishing the motorhome".  :)

Richard, I can only assume that the STOP WAX label was specific to HD.

In reading the Lustrelab website here , the wording on their product reads the same as STOP WAX.  I hope to get my E-mail answered today. Will let you know.

carson

Richard,  more info.

Received the following reply from Lustrelab today.

This was a product we made for a company that serviced Home Depot we have no outlets in your area. Lustrelab LXR is about two times the strength of the stop wax type products and can be purchased at www.lustrelab.com and click order now or phone 1-866-597-5971 the 32 ounce bottle is $19.95 plus shipping

Randell

Lustrelab Customer Service

carson FL

carson said:
Richard,  more info.

Received the following reply from Lustrelab today.

Thanks, Carson. I will wait for someone to report back on their results. After my last major clean/wax experiment, I am not too anxious to jump into the job again. I am keeping the link. If anyone tries the new product, please post your results. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom