Anybody ever used Dish network on the road?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Distant Network Services is for anyone that can't receive the 4 major networks via over the air stations.  RVs are a special case but weren't the original target for DNS.  The change to all digital over the air next month will have no effect on cable or satellite customers, their programming is already digital for satellite and in most cases for cable.

There are a number of Spanish language channels on satellite, but I don't know of any Portuguese stations.  Nor any Brazil originated programming available here in the US.  This is specifically from Dish Network or DirecTV.  There are other satellite services that offer programming from many other satellites (think the old C-band service) that my be better for your needs.

Thanks for the correction, Ned.  Guess I was thinking in terms of RVers, but you're right.  It's for anyone who can't get the main networks such as those who live in the boonies - or RVs.  Actually it seems to me it originally came about under the "equal access" provisions of federal law that made it possible for everyone who wanted the major TV networks to have them.  That goes back awhile!  :eek:

ArdraF

I've had 11 years of DTV  at home and if there were a customer oriented provider option I'd switch in a second.  I guess Dish is just as greedy and prone to change the rules as they please.    cell phone companies, credit card companies, mortgage companies, ... the list is getting longer and longer...  IMHO.

Ned said:
Distant Network Services is for anyone that can't receive the 4 major networks via over the air stations. 

There are a number of Spanish language channels on satellite, but I don't know of any Portuguese stations.  Nor any Brazil originated programming available here in the US.  This is specifically from Dish Network or DirecTV. 

Hey Ned,  Nice to see you again! 

You guys had me confused on DNS because in my vocabulary that means Domain Name System (I'm sure you've heard of that).  I don't do over the air TV any more. If I can't find an RV park with cable, I just don't use the TV! 

However, I'm kind of tired of the selections available.  My friend, who sells HughesNet, DirecTV, and Dish Network all over the USA, Mexico, Central America and the Carribbean, gave me the literature for Dish swhich shows no less than 7 options for Brazilian Channels ranging from $14.99 to $44.99. They also have programming from South Asia, African, Arbain, Armenian, French, German, Gree, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Poland, Portugal, Russia/Ukrane, Tagalag, Urdu, and Vietnamese.

Before meeting my friend, I was more disposed toward DircecTv but that was based on personal bias, not on any facts. Since I don't need the sports channels (which he admits, if you want sports, go with DTV), I'm leaning toward following his advice for Dish.

Thing is, I'm on a much tighter budget these days, so I'm not sure if I can afford it.  At least I don't have to put any money up front. Dish leases the receiver for $0.00 per month as long as you retain their service and there is no installation fee.

Good to hear from you too, Bruce.  It's been a while since we got together.

DNS: not enough unique acronyms to go around :)

I'm not surprised that there are other language channels offered in other countries, but are they available in the US?  Are you staying in Brazil or are you back in the states for awhile?  I see you're in Houston at the moment.

Just a word of caution about Dish Network's international programing. Most of their international stations are broadcast on their 118 satellite. That satellite uses KA band frequencies and requires special equipment. It's not a big deal, you just need to be aware that their normal dish won't work with that satellite. If you have the system installed by Dish, they'll provide the right equipment for the programing you order. But, if you buy an additional dish or some type of RV dome antenna, you'll need to do your homework to make sure it's compatible.  

bross said:
Most of their international stations are broadcast on their 118 satellite. That satellite uses KA band frequencies and requires special equipment. It's not a big deal, you just need to be aware that their normal dish won't work with that satellite. If you have the system installed by Dish, they'll provide the right equipment for the programing you order. But, if you buy an additional dish or some type of RV dome antenna, you'll need to do your homework to make sure it's compatible.  

Bross,

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm sure the vendor I'm dealing with knows all this, and I'll have him install it for me.  He's about an hour away from me here and we are collaborating on HughesNet business, so he'll take care of me on that.  I didn't know it was on a different satellite.  I'm not sure what I will do for a dish, but I'll probalby just get a tripod and use the dish that comes free with the system.

Ned said:
Good to hear from you too, Bruce.  It's been a while since we got together.

DNS: not enough unique acronyms to go around :)

I'm not surprised that there are other language channels offered in other countries, but are they available in the US?  Are you staying in Brazil or are you back in the states for awhile?  I see you're in Houston at the moment.

Ned

Last time I saw you was in Palm Springs, many many moons ago.  I know it has been at least 10 years, becuase in Sept. 2000 I was deployed to Brazil for one year.  Since that time, I have traveled there a minimum of once a year for a minimum of 2 weeks per trip.

In 2005, I started a business there in January.  In June I bought a house there, and in July I got married there.  It took me 4 months to get my wife a green card (we both had to fly to Rio) and then she came to live with me in the USA.  We  still make the trip there once a year.  We have relatives living in our house (it's a very big house--the business is in the front part).  You can check out the business at http://www.bandalarga.net.  Currently our only product is HughesNet, but we hope to change that by the end of this year by adding other products.  We have an import license and can import from anywhere we want, but we haven't done that yet. 

This year, we went there for President's Day I stayed almost three weeks, but S?nia stayed behind to reorganize the business. We started the reorganization by me making her my partner and the business administrator and she took over the finances.  There were some serious problems with that but she is solving them. We have hired a new General Manager who is working with her to handle all aspects of the business besides the fianancial part which he will take over from her when she leaves with her continuing to monitor that part of the business.  She is currently scheduled to come to Houston at the end of June.  She still needs to become fluent in English. That's a tough struggle for her. It was much easier for me to learn Portuguese. I'm considering the Dish TV with Brazilian channels as a surprise for her.  She already listens to Brazilian radio stations over the internet.

Regarding the international programming, my friend's customers are all in the southern USA, Mexico, Central America, and the Carribean.  He is located here in Houston (actually Katy).  If I get the service I will buy it from him. He gives any Brazilan customers to me, but so far, I don't sell satellite TV, but I might consider it.

Where are you now?  I'd like to set up a visit after S?nia comes back so you can meet her.

Bruce, I've followed your adventures over the years, your new business, your wedding, and moving to Brazil.  I think were still living in Rancho Mirage when we last met so that would be early 1997 or before.  We have a lot north of San Antonio where we spend at least part of the winter, but now we're on our way to Milwaukee.  We'll be there Monday until late August.  We'll be back in TX sometime in early October for a couple of months.  We're an easy day's drive from Katy and have a full hookup site for our friends.

Ned,

1997?  That means I'm 12 years older now!  My goodness, how did I let that happen?

This is a long term project here at Bush Intercontinental, so it's entirely possible we'll still be here in October. Let's see how it goes. S?nia deserves a visit to San Antonio.  The last time I was there was for basic training in January of 1973. She also has a Brazilian friend that is going to college there, I believe.

Ok, stay in touch.  Lots to see around SA and the Hill Country where we are.

Ron said:
Word of caution be absolutely sure you can receive the Brazilian channels where you are located before committing the Dish.

OK, Ron.

Well as you know, my situation is mobile. I'm rarely in one place more than three months, but there's an occasional exception which I suspect this assignment to be.  But I'll see if I can find out the coverage areas for the various plans.  The fine print says that two dishes may be required to get both American and International programming.

Forgive me if this was said before, I read over the posts quickly and didn't see it. If you have a dome dish and want HD you can only use Dishnetwork. Directv uses 2 different bands and a dome cannot work with the HD band they are using. I know Winegard (because that is what I have) and I think others may work with Dishnetwork HD.

I recently bought an LCD tv for my motorhome and plan on upgrading my receiver in the future. I was happy to see my Winegard dome is HD ready when I bought this coach. Older HD ready Winegards need an converter type box but the newer ones have it in the electronics.

For a CRT, HD is useless, as it can't display the HD quality signal.  For an LCD that small, I doubt you could tell the difference between SD and HD.

Ned said:
For a CRT, HD is useless, as it can't display the HD quality signal.  For an LCD that small, I doubt you could tell the difference between SD and HD.

Ned

Wouldn't that only be true if the image quality of the CRT was limited to a 480 line display?

I don't know of any HD capable CRT displays, certainly not OEM installed in any RVs.

Ned said:
I don't know of any HD capable CRT displays, certainly not OEM installed in any RVs.

That's why I switched TV's. ;D

Back
Top Bottom