12 Volt Accessory Plug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ruthandken CDN

We have 3 of these in our Southwind, 1 on the dash, 1 on the passengers side, and 1 in the bedroom.  Does the engine have to be on for these to work?

No, but the battery disconnect (actually connect) does.  The one closest to the driver on the dash may need the ignition on.

The battery is on..the fuse which is in the cupboard in the bathroom is ok, but I changed it anyway just to be on the safe side.  Why don't these work?  What else do I need to check?

I would surprised if these were all on a single fuse.  I would guess there are push breakers on a distribution panel somewhere (I have three panels in my rig, one outside near the propane tank, one under the fridge, and one near the steering column).  Depending on which 12V plug I need to check the breaker may be on a different panel.

I don't have a Southwind, however, so that could be totally irrelevant to you (lots of help, I know!!!)

You didn't mention what year your Southwind is but my 93 Pace Arrow (same mfg. close cousin) has a large fuse panel in the engine compartment on the drivers side. I have a couple of these in my Pace and they are controlled by a fuse or fuses in that panel.
A simple DC tester will show whether there is power to them.

Woody

Ruth, maybe it depends on what you are plugging in to test these outlets.  I have heard that the power outlets and the standard cigar lighter outlet are somehow different.  Slightly different size or construction, I guess.    Do you have multiple things that you can try in those sockets to be sure they are not working?

Anyone else ever hear of this socket difference?

There's that fuse box under the bathroom sink..in there is also some breakers, but not for that.  There is a fuse box under the dash on the driver's side, again nothing there that pertains to that.  I have checked all the fuses in both boxes, cigarette lighter needed changing.  So we did that. 
Sorry it's a 2007 Southwind.
I'm trying to use a cell phone adapter, tried in all 3 slots, nothing.  There is apparently a fuse box under the hood, guess we'll have to check there.  I certainly hope it's easier to get at than the one under the dash.  Man you need to be Harry Houdini to get at that one!!!!
I absolutely need these plugs, one for my GPS and the other for my PressurePro.

Lou, yes I have...

The dash cigar lighter socket has spring-like elements inside to release the lighter when hot.

A true power plug does not have those springs. For example, I have a power plug in my antenna (Winegard) switching panel. That is not a cig lighter socket. Also, when you buy a cig lighter extension for power use, there are no springs inside. I use an extension cord directly from a strong battery source in the engine compartment to supply power to my Brake Buddy, I would not trust the dash cig lighter socket.

The other sockets in my RV I have not closely examined, but I suppose they are not cig types.

I don't know if this will help Ruth's or Ken's situation, but I answered your question, Lou.

Best I can do... carson FL

Lou's answer may be a bit too broad. Different brands and years are wired differently and some coaches may require the ignition to be on, at least in accessory. Typically they do not, however, and the bedroom socket is certainly not powered from the engine system. Have you tried all three of yours with the ignition on?

I'm also wondering if some idiot at the factory may have wired the outlets with incorrect polarity, i.e. the plus and minus wires reversed. I've seen that before, though never consistently on all the outlets. Odds are neither your GPS or pressure Pro will work in the outlet if the polarity is wrong. The cell phone charger is a maybe, depending on its design.  They make a little plug-in 12v voltmeter that would show you if there is power in the socket. Maybe Walmart of an auto parts store? I know JC Whitney has them. Or if you have a voltmeter with test leads you can use that to measyre voltage between the center pin and the side of the outlet.  If the voltmeter shows 12v power but none of your devices work, then the outlet is wired backwards.

Ken or Ruth, (please sign your name so I know who i'm talking to) ;D ;D

I've forgotten if your Southwind is a Ford or GM.  My Bounder (Southwind's poor second cousin) is a Ford and I have two fuse blocks under the dash.  One down by the steering column and one about in the center under the tilt back instrument panel.  I think the fuses for the outlets are in the upper one.

Did you order your diagrams from Fleetwood like I suggested?

While there are NEVER anythings like Guaranties when it comes to what goes where in an RV, I mean two rigs of the same make and model with consecutive VIN numbers may well be different

On my Damon the 12 volt outlet in the DASH is a "Chassis" Device  Being as Workhorse started life as GM and still uses GM thinking it's always LIVE off the chassis battery

Ford, on the other hand, ties the dash outlet (If it's wired as a chassis device) to the accessory circuit... (But they use heavier wire so it will take more current)

However, if your rig is on a FORD chassis, there is no reason the coach maker may not have re-wired it

(All the other outlets in my house are house circuits by the way, epically the ones I added, and all are heavier duty than GM uses too)

Other makers.... Well, there are 3 options for the dash outlet

Ignition controlled chassis battery

Always hot chassis battery

House circuit

And about the only way to be sure is to plug in something that lights up (A Vector digital 12 / 24 volt meter for example. IN fact that's a very good thing to plug in) and start flipping switches

You guys !!!! Naughty, naughty!
BTW it's Ruth, Ken leaves all the internet, techno, computer stuff to me.  He's a 'honey do' kind of guy.  Oh yeah he does take care of the black/gray tanks and he drives the rig.  Only thing he does on the internet is check his sport scores.  LOL.
Thanks for all the help, I believe I figured it out.  Went back and 'fiddled' with the fuse under the bathroom sink, think maybe it wasn't pushed in all the way.  Strange cause the one I took out was in the same spot as the one I put back in.  Oh well, go figure.  Now all 3 plugs work just fine.  Thank goodness.  Now if I could just figure out what is wrong with the Sirius connection on the radio.  :mad:
Ok here you go... :-* :-*

Strange cause the one I took out was in the same spot as the one I put back in

Push in fuses sometimes lose continuity to make a connection due to corrosion or carbon on the contact.  It's not unusual to pull out a fuse, and push it back in to make contact again.  Also road bumps sometimes push a fuse out of the socket and the fuse just fails internally.

This might be a good time, if you have not already done so, to get a full set of spare fuses for each value you have in your system with extra's of the common sizes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom