Need to replace my Onan Microlite 4000 with what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2002Thor

Pulled the Onan after it started doing the start but not run bit unless hold down the start button.  Looks like the rotor plastic parts are coming apart with chunks at the bottom of the housing.  Having a difficult time getting a price from Cummings/onan to repair.  Not sure I want to fix this generator.  Would love to put a Honda EU3000is in place of the Onan.  Not sure it can be hooked to RV fuel supply or if the exhaust can be routed external.  Any suggestions on an economical and reliable replacement would be appreciated.  Onan is not what they used to be as far as I am concerned after experience with this unit at 645 hrs. 

Welcome to RV Forum - glad to have you onbaord!

Mounting a portable genset in an RV can be challenging if you want to use the onboard fuel supply, safe exhaust routing, adequate cooling with the bay doors closed, etc. I've seen reports of success, but it's a project!  If you can solve the exhaust problem, consider a small, separate onboard fuel tank and a little transfer pump to move fuel from the coach tank to the generator supply. 

I'm surprised that Onan shop won't quote a repair (unless they think there is even more internal damage?). Probably VERY expensive in any case, though.  Where are you located - perhaps somebody can suggest another generator repair shop.

Generac makes gas & propane gensets, but I'm not sure they are any better.

Thanks Gary for the comments, were just down the road in Kissimmee. -- I was hoping someone had a magical integration cure for the Honda.  The new generator with inverter technology is what I would prefer but don't see one that can be installed in the RV at a reasonable price.

I just recalled the orlando cummings dealer waited 15 minutes to get someone to answer the phone and got a $1,500 estimate -- wow are they proud of those parts that self destructed after 649 hrs.  Our local Camping world said to bring it by and they will give me an estimate, but they will have to get the parts from cummings etc etc.

I would go with Honda 2000 and just set it on the ground when parked but gotta have Air Cond in the wild down here.  Right now I'm thinking the GENERAC GUARDIAN RV GENERATOR QUIETPACT 40G Muffler Kit/Remote Adp./Remote Start/Tailpipe Included delivered to my house for $ 1,900 looks pretty good.

Whats the scope on them?  How do they stack up noise wise and do they deliver the power etc?

Dick

I had a 2002 Generac 5500 in my previous coach and it did a yeoman job of power generation. Quieter than the Onan 5000 in the 1996 coach I had previously but about the same as 2000-vintage Onans. However, it began to leak oil after about two years, from somewhere underneath. Made a mess of the area underneath, but didn't actually lose a lot of oil - maybe a cup a year.  Still ran fine and I never fixed it.

There is no one size fits all installation kit for motorhomes - they are all different and each one has its own challenges.

Back
Top Bottom