Spotting Scopes ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

Yesterday on our trip around the park we saw a bunch of folks looking out into a field.  A grizzly and cub were about 1/2 mile or more out.  Couple guys had spotting scopes set up on tripods.  I like stuff.  I actuallt love stuff.  Hava a bunch of stuff.  This stuff has Jolene interested.  Gooood.... 

OK, what to look for.  I have been a bit out of photography for a bit, so my optics knowledge has suffered.  I know there is magnification, and light gathering, but something like a 25x50x50 would mean 25 mag, and a 50 in light, what is the other 50?

What numbers would I want?

Diameter of the objective lens in millimeters. Here's some good information about spotting scopes from my favorite "stuff" supplier.

The best place I have found to learn about scopes is a website called "Better View Desired".  It pops up on a Google search.

There you will find reviews of a great number of binos and scopes, in a fair amount of detail.  He uses them for weeks or months before he writes.

The author has (or maybe had)  a slight bias towards Nikon IMHO because he did work for them at birding festivals, but despite that he has an encyclopedic knowledge of scopes, binos, 'through the lens' photography etc.  I have seen him lecture and he is really good.

My own experience is that the cheaper scopes, which includes anything less than $500, are disappointing once you get them out of the showroom.  Eventually I bought a Bausch and Lomb Elite Scope, which cost around 1K eight years ago, and I have been very happy with it since. This line is nitrogen purged, has fully coated lenses and so forth, but is light enough to carry around. It does ok for looking at the moon and planets, though it's a birding scope really.

Birding festivals are really good places to look for scopes and binos.  At the Titusville Fl. Festival, for example, there were 6 or 8 displays of all the latest stuff with cameras to go with them if you want.

Rankjo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom