Help with DC Power in Fleetword Niagra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magordon

Hello-

I've been reading this forum for a while and now I hope that someone can help me with a problem I'm stuck on.

Background:  I bought a used 2007 Fleetwood Niagra Pop up.  I'm getting no luck with "Real" technical support from the original dealer and I have seen no real support from Fleetwood,  I suppose that that is why this forum is so useful and packed with info.  Is this usual??

Specific problem:  None of my lights go on in the camper.  I'm assuing that these lights are all 12VDC, since they worked in the past with only battery power.

I have:
Checked the DC Power converter (simply a commercial battery charger behind the distribution panel)
Checked the 12 VDC Fuses (there is a red LED when a fuse is blown, I pulled them all out and checked)
Checked the  Battery Voltage-  OK
I have kicked a couple of rocks and trees as well. ( always helped in the past)

This happens when I'm hooked to the Car through the tow cable, or when I'm hooked to 120 VAC
None of the 8 lights go on.
All of the 110 V appliances (fridge, AC, Outlets, Ect) work.

Any ideas??  Also,  Does anyone have any list of what circuits are used where and for what in these type of pop ups? There is nothing in my manual, and the distribution panel has NO markings, just 4 110 breakers and 4 12VDC Fuses.  (Frustrating, ERRRRR!!)

Muchos gracias in advance!

Mark

Fleetwood will email a schematic of your trailer if you go to their web site and ask for one.

I'll try to get a schematic,  but even then, what could be the cause of all the lights being out, but the other 12 VDC items working (Fridge, Radio, Heater fan)

Thanks

Lost the upper lites on my PuP when the little red/white plug came undone raising/lowering the top( or may be stuffing canvas in). Followed the wires from lamp - down lifter - to side rail - to plug -- in and out of canvas. Reattached - all well.  Doesn't hurt to look.    Kate

magordon said:
I'll try to get a schematic,  but even then, what could be the cause of all the lights being out, but the other 12 VDC items working (Fridge, Radio, Heater fan)

Thanks

There are really only two things that can go wrong electrically, a short or an open. A short will cause fuses to pop and circuit breakers to trip. An open will cause a dead circuit. If you have no popped fuses (generally there are no circuit breakers on 12 volt DC) then you should look for a spot where all the 8 lights have a common wire and then find the break in that wire.

One easy thing to check is a proper ground. Turn the lights on and run a temporary ground from any of the light sockets to the frame of the trailer or directly to the negative post of the battery.

Jeff said:
One easy thing to check is a proper ground. Turn the lights on and run a temporary ground from any of the light sockets to the frame of the trailer or directly to the negative post of the battery.

He has to know which terminal of the light socket is the ground side, otherwise he could blow a fuse.

I just wire to one of the screws holding the light in place or some other part of the light housing.

If the lights are all in the "pop-up" part, then Maddog's suggestion is most likely it. If not, more looking to do.

My next step would be Jeff's suggestion about an alternate ground. If they work with that, then it narrows the search down quite a bit.

You should also make sure you actually have power at the fuse panel. Since your fridge etc works I'm guessing that you do, but it pays to be through when you have this sort of problem. Verify everything along the path from battery to lights and sooner or later you will find the anomaly. Once you know where the problem occurs, it usuallydoeisn't take too long to find out what needs to be fixed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom