89 Skamper Popup-Replace lift system or sell as-is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clattin

I have an 89 Skamper 255c popup camper (a big rascal at 25'6" extended) that I damaged the lift system when trying to pack it all up in a rush during a rain storm two summers ago.  We are going to upgrade to either a travel trailer or toyhauler.  This would make a great inexpensive camper for someone, but it does need the lift system repaired/replaced and a little other TLC.  I have found where you can purchase the lift systems (www.goshenstamping.com) but don't have a clue where to find someone that can install it.

#1.  Would it even be worth it to repair/replace the lift system?
#2.  If I do or don't repair it, what would be a reasonable asking price for this camper?  Its in good condition with a furnace, refrig, etc.  It sleeps 6 comfortably and has twin axels, twin propane tanks, brakes, spare, awning, etc.
#3.  Should I just sell it as scrap or for parts?

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Thanks!
Chris
[email protected]

NADA gives the value of an 1989 255c as only $680-$820 and that presumably would be in working condition. If it is still usable as is, you might get something near that if everything else is fine.  Maybe $400?  How much does the replacement lift mechanism cost? I doubt if it would be cost effective to buy it and pay somebody to install it (sounds like many hours of labor!).

Try Craig's List.

I'm not sure, but I assume they give you the opportunity to explain things just as you did here.  Your trailer may be just what someone is looking for.  My guess is, it's better than scrap and will find a new home.

I have no idea on asking price, or how one establishes a price for a unit that old.  It sounds like a quality unit other than the lift problem.  Good luck with moving it.

Thanks for the info, guys!

I don't know what the cost of the parts for the lift system will be...I'll contact them tomorrow to see, but I suspect you're right.  It does look like a lot of time investment, but it might be worthwhile for someone who needs an inexpensive camper to take their familyy camping this summer.  I'd sell it as-is for a couple hundred bucks, just to get it off my property.  I got a good deal on it to begin with and we used it many times, so I feel like we got our money's worth out of it.

Thanks again!
Chris

If the top can be raised and the lift damage merely makes it inconvenient, you should have no problem getting a couple hundred for it. There are always people looking for bargains and often handyman types as well. Put it out in the yard with a $295 sign on it and I'll bet people flock to your door.

Reminds me of my first job while on "work release study" in High school.

I worked in a locally owned shoe store.  We were located, sandwiched really,  between a Tom MccAnn and a Florsheim shoe store.  You can imagine how creative we had to be to get our share of the market.

The owner's moto was;  it ain't old 'till it's sold.  He would take all the outdated woman's shoes (still neatly boxed) and put them on a sales table marked $2.50 a pair.  After about a week, when very few had sold, he would unbox them, throw the boxes away, mix them up (all styles and sizes) and mark the table "two pair for $5".

People would flock to the table and hunt for matched pairs for hours.  I've seen near fights over a pair of "pink patent leather pumps".  Maybe just a half pair :D

Point is, don't waste money fixing it trying to get a higher price.  It's appeal will be that it's a bargain of a fix'er up'er.

Like Gary said, put it in the yard at a fair price as is  and you will probably make someone's day, make a new friend and possibly some kids entire summer.  I see another lifetime RVer in the making.   

I say sell it as is on Craigs list and ebay classified ad.  Make sure you put a great description and good pics. I just sold a very old popup that had a broken lift cable. It took me 3 days to get it sold.  I got what I was asking. (500.00).  plus it had no ac, no electric, no heat.  If you want 600.00 out of it ask 750.00 for it and I bet someone will come offer 600-650 for it..

I always buy used campers. at least 4-6 years old sometimes older,  I let someone else pay the depreciation. I bought my last camper at 30% of what it was brand new. granted it was 6 years old , but besides cosmetics, it works great. 

just go for it worst thing that happens is that no one makes you an offer. then you re-list it for 100.00 less and try again.

Back
Top Bottom