* in One Remote

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art In Mobile

Like most of us on this forum I had many remote controlled devices in my Winnie. Some had the volume on the right and some had the volume on the left. Same way with the channel select. Then I installed a DVD burner between the VHS-DVD player and the new 32 LCD TV. Now one more remote! I went to Radio Shack and got the 8-in One remote. It was about 39 dollars but I have seen it on sale at Radio Shack for 19 dollars. You can enter your device directly by code or if you have a device not listed you can enter it with the learn function just by aiming the old remote at it. I pulled a little hair out learning to do it but it does work great! Some functions  you will have to learn to use a differently worded key as there are so many variables do to the many different electronic devices out there. As an example for the word (Edit) I might have to use the word (info) on the new one. I even have the Bose radio programed on it.  It also has Marco keys which with one push of a button will turn on your Dvd player, then your TV. It can also turn off the same devices with one Marco button. I now can turn up the volume,  on the TV, DVD-Vhs player, Cd player, Bose radio, With the SAME button! When I am using the DVD player I have the volume set on it so I can just hit the regular volume button on the remote even though I am in DVD mode and it still switches over to TV mode just for the TV volume only. If you can get past the programing you will like it. When they go back on sale I will get one for the house.
Now I know the volume is always on the left even in the dark. I guess I am just getting to old to remember what all those other buttons are for on all the other remotes I used to carry on the Winnie. Art

Another great solution is the Logitech Harmony programmable remote. It has the advantage that it is never obsolete - you download the codes for your specific devices from the internet. A bit pricey but very slick!

Any fixed function "universal' remote that you buy (or get with a new piece of equipment) is frozen in time from the date it was designed. If you buy some new piece of gear later, odds are the codes to operate it will not be present in the older remote. With the Harmony, you always have the latest code set available to you. It also is oriented around functions  rather than devices, so when you click " Watch a DVD" it automatically turns on the Tv AND the Dvd, sets the tv to DVD input and sets the volume control to whichever device you want to control volume for that use.  Magic!

Gary
The nice thing about this 39 dollar (or 19 dollar when on sale) is it never goes obsolete as it has the learn function. I had to use it on one of my devices which did not have the code . You just point the remote from the one you want to put into the new one and press the key you want to learn. It reads the IR light signal & you have that function on the new remote. It also can turn on several things at a time with one button. I admit it is harder to program then the more expensive ones but works great. At the cheap price I can have one in the house and bedroom, & 2 in the RV. Art

Most new remotes have a learn function and can control multiple devices - even the ones that come with a new DVD or TV. I've got a boxful of these allegedly universal remotes and they all fail to handle at least one of my devices. Glad you found one that works with ALL of yours - you must be a lucky man!  :D

Gary
I also had 2 that didn't seem to work on some of my devices. Then I found out what I was doing wrong. They did not make it clear in the instructions to make sure I held the learning remote key down first! Then hit the key on the old remote. For an example what I was doing was hitting the old one first and lets say it was sending out a code flash of 123456 & because I was pushing the key on the new remote  just a mil second after I hit the first one, all the new remote was seeing was a flash code of 23456. It was missing 1 and 2. I was stumped for a week on this. The Learn mode just captures what the old remote is sending. That is why it works so well. You may have a different problem with yours but I am glad I figured mine out. Art

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom