Survey of CRT TV to LCD replacements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry for the slow reply.  I did not realize there would be such interest in this project. 

I would like to add more more thing.  The opening for my TV is 26".  I bought an arm that said on the box would extend 15".  I thought this was going to be enough to center my TV with room to spare.  That 15" is if you extend it from a back wall and not a side wall.  I am about 1.5" short of being centered.  I was too far along in the mounting process to bring it back for another one.  I am comfortable with this. 

Here are the requested pics.  I don't take any pics before the TV was removed.  The short cable in the after pics are for tethering my cell.  The long one is the receiver for my wireless keyboard and mouse.  I usually sit on my couch while on the internet. 

Attachments

• old TV out.jpg
    old TV out.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 245
  • Ent center.jpg
    Ent center.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 197
  • tv after 1.jpg
    tv after 1.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 140
  • tv after 2.jpg
    tv after 2.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 114
  • tv after 3.jpg
    tv after 3.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 136
  • tv after 4.jpg
    tv after 4.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 160
  • tv after 6.jpg
    tv after 6.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 197
We have installed the bedroom TV in our 1997 Winnebago Adventurer (WCG34WA).  This one was pretty easily done.  There was no TV to removed so it was a matter of reinforcing the existing stud between the closet wall and the TV cabinet.  We purchased a 1 x 4 x 8 of vinyl board and cut 2 pieces from it to "sandwich" together, one inside the TV cabinet and one inside the closet.    We mounted the wall bracket (Video Secure  model #ML520B) with lag bolts and screws to this brace.  attached the mounting bracket to the rear of the TV moved into place.  We left the slide out from the original TV as it acts as a brace to hold the set from moving (just adjusted the til of the tv on the bracket.

1997 Winnebago Adventurer WCG34WA
original TV had been removed before we purchased this in February
24" DYNEX  LED/LCD HDTV-1080p-HDMI  Model: DX-24E150A11  (purchased on special @ BESTBUY for $199)

Attachments

• bedroom tv_2.JPG
    bedroom tv_2.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 85
  • bedroom tv bracket.JPG
    bedroom tv bracket.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 73
  • bedroom tv brace.JPG
    bedroom tv brace.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 69
  • bedroom tv back.JPG
    bedroom tv back.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Bedroom TV.JPG
    Bedroom TV.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 112
The first job on our "new to us" Minnie Winnie 31C was to replace the TV.  Ours has the entertainment console over the cab with the TV mounted in the right side angled toward the sofa.

Removal:  I pried off the trim border from the TV opening, then pushed back the two thin, plywood "finishers" that go up each side of the TV.  Once pushed back, I was able to pry them out.  The finishers and trim are held by thin pins.  I also had to pry out the side finish panels from the DVD player space below the TV.

I now had access to the two bolts in the "hold down" strap - removed them and wrestled the old (26") TV out of its hole - man, is that heavy!

We purchased a 26" Vizio LCD to replace the CRT.  Obviously it is significantly thinner, and lighter(!) but would fit inside the opening.  I purchased two very heavy "L" brackets, a sheet of 3/4 finish plywood and a simple flat screen mounting kit that was basically four buttons and four slide-in holders (Sams Club).  I welded two 1/4-20 nuts to the back of the vertical arms of the "L" brackets, then fastened them to the original baseboard using three lag screws each.  The plywood was cut to fit the opening, stained to match the trim work and drilled for the 1/4-20 screws.  The mounting "slots" were mounted to the plywood and a rectangular hole cut to pass the cabling through.

Prior to mounting the backboard in the opening, I replaced all the side "finishers" such that the opening now resembled a shallow box.  Once the "buttons" were screwed to the rear of the TV, it was a simple exercise to pass the cables through to the TV, then "hook" the TV into the "slots". The trim piece around the original opening was replaced and the job was done!

Looks good, works great and I saved about 50lb of high mounted weight!  The coach rattles less and is probably good for at least 5mpg better gas mileage!  ;D

We replaced the 32 inch Sony in our 07 Winnebago Adventurer 38-J with a 32 inch Visio LCD VA220E HDTV. The tv is located in the entertainment center behind the passenger seat. The removal was very easy and took about 30 minutes. The installation was just as easy using a articulated wall mount. Installation took about 1 1/2 hours due to having to position the wall mount in the proper position. I used a 3 inch piece of poplar stained to match the entertainment system to fill the gap on the bottom.

I also ended up replacing the Memorex surround sound system with a RCA system ($150). With the exception of the subwoofer, I used the existing speakers.

David and Derita said:
We replaced the 32 inch Sony in our 07 Winnebago Adventurer 38-J with a 32 inch Visio LCD VA220E HDTV. The tv is located in the entertainment center behind the passenger seat. The removal was very easy and took about 30 minutes. The installation was just as easy using a articulated wall mount. Installation took about 1 1/2 hours due to having to position the wall mount in the proper position. I used a 3 inch piece of poplar stained to match the entertainment system to fill the gap on the bottom.

I also ended up replacing the Memorex surround sound system with a RCA system ($150). With the exception of the subwoofer, I used the existing speakers.

Pictures, by chance?

Paul

I'm in the process of replacing our CRT in our 2005 Sightseer 29R.  Last winter we noticed that our CRT TV had a green tint.  This summer while camping our CRT TV went pop and the picture disappeared.  I am 90 percent complete with installing a new 32? Samsung LED TV and a Panasonic Sound Bar.  I'm putting finish on our new woodwork and waiting for the delivery of a cable that I bought on EBay that will connect our dash radio to our new sound bar.  I'm turning the space occupied by our old CRT TV into storage space.  The new LED TV will pivot to allow access.  I plan to publish more info and pictures when complete.

Before starting the TV replacement project I spent a day upgrading the TV antenna wiring on our Sightseer.  We have DirecTV and a Winegard CarryOut Antenna.  Our satellite receiver needs two inputs to watch TV and to record.  In the past I used the satellite input and the cable input to feed two inputs into our satellite box.  But if we wanted to connect to the cable output in an RV park then I would bypass  the satellite receiver box by removing a wire and feeding the input directly into our TV switch box.  To fix this I ran another TV antenna wire and added a new satellite input connection to the RV.  Now I can connect to our DirecTV antenna and at the same time I can connect to an RV park cable outlet and just punch a button on our TV switch box.

Without the added wiring we could only watch the same program on all TVs when viewing DirecTV.  Now we can watch satellite on one TV, cable on another, and over the air broadcasts on a third as I finally installed a digital converter.

While checking our TV antenna wiring I could not find the lead going to our outside TV.  We've never used the outside TV outlet but I plan to take our kitchen TV when we head south this winter and use it at our outside TV station.  To find which wire went to which TV I connected a nine volt battery to a piece of antenna wire and I added a connector to the opposite end.  I was able to connect the battery to either end of an antenna wire and use a voltage meter to find the hot wire.  This way I was able to label each wire.  I wasn't able to find the inside end of the outside TV outlet so I ran a new antenna wire to the outside TV outlet.  Now all TV outlets work.

Here is a link to some pictures of a work in progress.  I'll add pictures when I finish.

http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd417/JamesDAllen/Sightseer%2029R%20TV%20Replacement/

I will probably complete our project on Tuesday. 

I'm mostly finished.  I have to return a 3' optical cable for a 4' optical cable and tie up the cable.  I also need to pick up my tools and clean the MH.

Here are pictures.

http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd417/JamesDAllen/Sightseer%2029R%20TV%20Replacement/

Safe Travels.

JD & Kathy Allen

Well all you guys have finally inspired me to switch out the old Sony 27" monster in my 05 Vectra 40FD.  The project has just started I removed the old TV and have measured the opening and purchased a new JVC LT-32DM22 with a DVD.  Getting ready to start reinforcing the bottom for the mount I opted for.  A Mor/Ryde TV Mount TV-40-001H-S.  I am considering removing the old DVD/VCR combo as old technology and just going with the DVD included in the new set.  The JVC has variable Audio output and works great with the current Winny Speaker system.  I tried it out yesterday as a trial run and everything worked great just plugged in the RCA jacks as they were before.  I will keep you updated and send pics as the project is completed.
Wish me luck.

You're lucky the JVC has variable audio out - that seems to be a rare feature.  We replaced the DVD/VCR also - those are yesterday's news.

Keep us posted and take lots of pictures!

Hi Ho:  Wow, lots of people have taken the leap.  I figure after 11 years it's about time.  As soon as the warranty expired on our 2000 Itasca Suncruiser I chucked the entire (enhanced) audio system and installed a 5.1 with good subwoofer.  It has worked well for over 10 years now, but was, of course, not HD.  The trick to getting home theater audio was to use a home audio receiver.  This makes the entire WI audio system a thing of the past, but has given us very good service.

The downside is the $250 for the receiver and the power to run the thing.  I used a receiver with built-in DVD player so that helped fit everything in.

The new concept is to buy another $250 receiver with HDMI a 32-inch HD TV (Vizio) and a Dish DVR and Blu Ray DVD player to replace what is now there.  I don't know why home theater receivers with built-in Blu Ray players are not more plentiful.  Has anyone found a good one?
something like a Sony STR-DH810 or even STR-DH510 with a BDP-S370 Blu Ray is the best I can find.  Any better ideas?

I am installing a Winegard MiniMax on the roof.  I actually noticed today that we don't meet the set-back from objects.  There is an FM antenna about two feet in front and a Citizens Band antenna about 4 feet away.  Has anyone had problems with installed antennas?  We have not had any that I know about the the currect tracking antenna, but the dish is a little bigger than the Winegard.  They specify a 35-inch set-back for a 15-inch high obstacle.  This is certainly more pessimistic than the pattern at our longitude would suggest.  Maybe it is meant for folks in Canada or Alaska.  Or maybe they figure one needs Fresnel Zone clearance.  Or maybe antennas don't block the signal significantly?  Any ideas?

I think I will use the idea of a horizontal bottom support with a side mount so access to the space behind the 1.5 inch thick is available for storage.  I like the recent post that made that suggestion.  Is that enough restraint for the 32-inch Vizio?

Thanks for your ideas.  What a super group.

Dirk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom