Survey of CRT TV to LCD replacements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2009 Winnebago Destination 37G ? adding front TV
Part two of this project ? the mounting of the TV

For mounting, I choose to use the Winnebago designed and manufactured TV mounting bracket. This kept me from having to design something from scratch, and assured me that it would stand up to the rigors of motorhome travel. I have designed mounts in the past ? specifically for a 1999 Adventurer, when I replaced the CRT and replaced with an LCD, so although designing a mount is not foreign to me, I was also looking at saving time.

The mount is two basic pieces. The main support that screws into the cabinet and the TV mounting panel the attaches to the TV, then to the main support. The Main support sits on the bottom of the cabinet, and attaches with four ? #8 screws. I did need to add a 3/8 thick piece of wood between the bottom shelf (floor) of the cabinet and the bottom of the main support. This was accomplished with a trip to Lowe?s and purchasing a 24x3/8x4 inch piece of wood. Available as ?craft wood.? The interior of the front overhead cabinet is ?stepped.? The front section lower than the rear section. The support overlaps the exterior ?rail? of the cabinet on top and each side takes two ? #8 which go into the frame horizontally and one ? #8 that goes in vertically. The TV mount has a ?hook? built into it that goes over the top of the main support frame, and then attaches with one ? #8 one each side. I found that a #8 is to large, so I intend to thread the holes in the main support so a #8x32 or 24 bolt can be used.

I also purchased and installed the two vertical ?electrical? panels to install along the sides of the main TV support. In a factory install these panels are designed to hold an electrical outlet, speaker switch and the like. I installed them just to close off the area behind the TV so I did not have go chasing items that might slide in the cabinet and get lodged behind the TV. The panels attach to the upper ?step? of the cabinet on the bottom, to the back of the cabinet and to the ceiling of the cabinet with ? #8 screws on the back and top and ? #8 on the legs. Again a 3/8x6? spacer was required under the bottom ?legs? of the panel.

Photo one - Mounting parts - Center is the main support, below that is the TV bracket.
Photo two - Main support installed
Photo three - Main support with the "electrical" panels

Part three of the series will deal with the TV bracket and the attachment to the TV and the main support.

Attachments

• IMG_1639_B_B.JPG
    IMG_1639_B_B.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1640_B_B.JPG
    IMG_1640_B_B.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1643_B_B.JPG
    IMG_1643_B_B.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 177
2009 Winnebago Destination 37G ? adding front TV
Part three of this project ? the mounting of the TV bracket

The TV mounting bracket ? the section that attaches to the TV proved to be the most challenging. The mount bracket is designed for a Sharp LCZ6D43U 26 inch LCD. Physical dimensions of the Sharp TV are 26x18x3. It also has a VESA 100x100 mount. I choose a Samsung LED LCD, model UN26D4003. This TV is slightly smaller, but the main difference is a VESA 200x100 mounting area. This meant that I had to adapt it down to a 100x100. To do this I used two pieces of ? x1/8 flat aluminum, each about 9 ?? long. I drilled two holes in the center of each strip, matching the factory mount and put in #10 x 1? bolts. I connected the flat aluminum to the TV using industry standard M4x70mm bolts.

During the lay-out of the mounting bracket to the TV, I noticed that the TV attach point were relatively high on the TV. The mounting holes in the bracket, designed to match the slots on the main support, seemed to indicate that the mount of the Sharp LCD TV was more on center on the TV. If I were to use the ?factory? holes on the bracket, then the TV would be low, well below the cabinet bottom. Since there was space on the TV bracket, I drilled another set of holes higher on the bracket. This way the TV would mount to the main support toward the top. Making this modification of course caused two, later to be three other problems. First, on the bottom of the TV bracket was a second square hook, which looked like it was designed to catch and support the bottom edge of the TV. This hook rested against the back of the TV I was trying to install. Choice was to cut this support hook off. As I examined the TV bracket, I noticed that the support hook on the bottom was a separate piece of steel that was riveted and spot welded on the TV bracket. I drilled the rivets out, then drilled the welds and took a cold chisel and used it and a hammer to separate the pieces. OK, one problem solved, the next one was that the TV bracket obstructed the antenna connector on the TV. This I solved by drilling a 1/2? hole through the TV bracket where the antenna connected. Now problem two was solved.

Problem three was that the new mount holes for the TV in the bracket did not line up with the slots in the main support, so the TV would not attach to the main support. Now I was at a little disadvantage. First, I had already screwed the main support to the cabinet, so I did not want to take it out. Second, the motorhome is about four miles from my home/garage where all the heavy duty power tools are. So, after making a trip back home to get big drill bits, I drilled two holes in the main support where the bolts from the bracket would go. This allowed the TV bracket to mount on the main support ?as designed.?
Things looked good, until I discovered that the main support also covered the antenna connector. All the other connectors were free and clear, except the TV connector. Back to the drill, another hole, closer to ?? was made in the main support to allow the antenna cable through to the connector.
So, I then aligned the bottom holes of the bracket with the holes in the main support, put in two screws, attached the power cable, and I was ready to test. To make sure that I did not have a viewing angle problem, I spaced the top of the TV bracket away from the TV with some washers. This gave the TV a downward tilt.

So, now I have to put some trim along the edges of the cabinet to hide the opening that was not covered by the TV. I think that I have some stock left over from the kitchen remodel of the S&B that matches pretty closely to the finish on the motorhome cabinets.

Cost wise ? the mount cost about 2/3rds the cost of the TV.  Would I go the same route in the future (using the ?factory?) mount?  Maybe. One thing for sure, it was nice having steel components that for the most part fit right out of the box. This in itself reduced fabrication time.

I?ll post pictures with the trim in place when I complete it. Be a couple weeks as work will be getting in the way of play and travel.

Photo one ? Adapter ? 200x100 to 100x100 mount
Photo two ? TV bracket, attached. Lower hook removed and hole for antenna cable
Photo three ? Main support with holes drilled to accommodate upper bracket mounting bolts and antenna cable
Photo four -  Semi complete
Photo five ? TV installed ? gap around edges

Part four will be the finished ? with trim result.

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_3822_B_B.JPG
    IMG_3822_B_B.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3824_B_B.JPG
    IMG_3824_B_B.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1652_B_B.JPG
    IMG_1652_B_B.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1653_B_B.JPG
    IMG_1653_B_B.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1656_B_B.JPG
    IMG_1656_B_B.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 161
I saw a cool TV retro while in Florida this year. This owner of a HR mounted his flat screen under the cabinet like the one pictured above. He mounted the TV on a custom made mounting plate. Then with custom made hinges he attached it to the over head cabinet and Plate. The TV would swing up, screen first against the cabinet when traveling. he used snap latches to hold it in place while in the up/storage position.
Sorry no pictures taken!  :-[

Scott  :)

OK, job completed -

I had some finished maple left over from our cabinet install in our S&B (I know I keep stuff for a reason) and the finish was a pretty close match to the maple in the motorhome. Basically I needed to install an additional "stile" alongside existing ones and then anchor the additional "stiles" to the existing stiles and rails of the cabinet. My original thought was to take a thin piece of plywood, cut in larger than the additional stile, attach it to the new stile, this would give me an area to attach it to the existing stiles and rails. The more I thought, the more the plan changed - I ended up getting steel "mending plates" and attaching those to the new stiles. This gave me an "ear" to use to connect to the existing cabinet work. The pictures will give you a better idea of what I did. But, it is done, looks "almost" factory. I discovered that the TV is actuall about an 1/8 inch out of level. And someday if it bothers me enough, I will take it apart and correct the mounting holes in the attachment plate on the TV.

Photo one - picture of the back of the additional stile with attachment plates
Photo two - same stile, only the front side
Photo three - same stile - edge view
Photo four - back of the additional stile once installed
Photo five - the TV with out the final trim
Photo six - the final project

Attachments

• IMG_1658_B_B.JPG
    IMG_1658_B_B.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1659_B_B.JPG
    IMG_1659_B_B.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1660_B_B.JPG
    IMG_1660_B_B.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1666_B_B.JPG
    IMG_1666_B_B.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1656_B_B.JPG
    IMG_1656_B_B.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1662_B_B.JPG
    IMG_1662_B_B.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 147
I was able to remove my 26/27" Sony CRT from the front overhead cabinet and mount a 32" Vizio in it's place.  It took me several days to finally decide that I would make my own mount and mount this flush against the front facia with a metal bracket/plywood behind it WITHOUT using an articulating mount.  I did not want any rattles or sounds coming from this TV area as I had my fill of these sounds with the massive 77 lb CRT TV I removed.  :)

I ended up cutting about 1 1/2" off of each inside sides of the front facia, and lined the complete inside edges with the smooth part of velcro to limit rattling.  I am not interested in having any more "storage" space behind the TV, so that space was unused and left as was.

Please excuse these pictures as I took them with my iPhone. 

Picture 1:  Facia is cut and lined with the smooth part of velcro.  Most of the 3 1/2" LCD will be inside the cabinet with only about an inch on front of the facia.

Picture 2:  The bracket and my plans for screwing it to the sides of the metal enclosure

Picture 3:  Home made bracket on the back of the TV.  I will hold this TV WITH bracket installed on it up to the front facia and hold it with Bungie cords while I screw the brackets to the metal enclosure.

Picture 4:  While the TV was out, I went ahead and installed insulation across the front/top.  Winnebago should have insulated this area, but I guess they think the 1/2" of spray on stuff is sufficient.

Picture 5:  Back of TV inside the enclosure....yeah unused storage space, but who cares.....I dont want it.

Picture 6:  TV is flush against the facia

Picture 7:  Finished angle showing flush TV

Picture 8:  Whew!  Finished!

Attachments

• 1A.JPG
    1A.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 190
  • 2A.JPG
    2A.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 3A.JPG
    3A.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 4A.JPG
    4A.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 153
  • 5A.JPG
    5A.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 6A.JPG
    6A.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 7A.JPG
    7A.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 189
  • 8A.JPG
    8A.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 166
Promised Pics of my TV replacement re thread 144 and 145. Here they are, tried to post them before but they wouldn't go, then spent 3 months in Arizona enjoying my new TV.

I removed the overhead TV, manufactured a lift, and bulit a cabinet around it on the side where an easy chair would sit, across from the sofa. It worked out great, no more sore necks looking up sideways.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 104
Wow!  That's lateral thinking.  It would work in ours too, but the swivel recliner chair would have to go.

Hmmmmm....

Dougie.

Wow, nice job Art!  Contemporary styling, doesn't take up much room and very secure for travel!  Good design.  Thanks for sharing!  :)

Art, are there notes on how you constructed the lift?  I think I spot a locker strut!

Dougie.

As promised earlier, I have finished the bedroom TV replacement. The full story, complete with pictures in some kind of definition can be seen by clicking right  http://newphasor.com/Max_s_stuff.html.

Art, Nice work I love the design.  Question:  How did you accomodate the return air vent under your new cabinet, is there a grate of some sort on the side?

Very nice job Max!  Neat, organized, secure and gives lots of room for other items in that cabinet.  Makes a person start thinking what can be done. :)

I'm installing a digital satellite dish and want to replace the CRT TV in my 2005 Winnebago adventurer 37b any tips.

Original Post in Winnebago specific issues / Sightseer TV/DTD (March 5, 2012)
2007 Winnebago Sightseer 29R

I have an analog TV between the passenger/driver and want to remove it to install a digital TV. I removed the wood frame but was not able to determine a way to get behind the TV to get it out.
Has anyone found the way into the TV compartment without tearing out upholstery either under or on the sides of the compartment?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
June 20, 2012
2007 Winnebago Sightseer 29R

I'm finally back to working on getting my TV replaced.  Thanks to all who responded to the original post.  I've also read thru this Survey of CRT to LCD thread.  Lots of ingenious ideas and terrific craftsmanship.  It makes me feel pretty dumb to not even be able to get my TV out. 

Which brings me to the situation and problem I hope  somebody can help me with.  My overhead TV cabinet installation appears to be the same or at least very similar to all Winnebago models old and new.  However the TV mounting is not.  The TV is an old Sharp HD, vice a CRT.  There is no metal strap holding it in.  The mounting looks similar to what some of you have done with your new TV's: 
wood running laterally across the metal case and screwed to the sides of that case -
TV wall-mount running vertically and screwed to lateral piece of wood -
then the TV held in place forward with Velcro against the fascia.

This information was gleaned by climbing onto the dashboard and peeking thru the hole in the back of the metal case.  There's just enough room to see inside, but not nearly enough to reach my hand/arm in to loosen bolts.
It appears that what I need is a way to remove the upholstery from all around the lower part of the metal case.  This will expose the openings in the metal case and allow access to the rear of the TV and to its mounting.  There are 2 wood screws running thru the upholstery at the very front of the case, which is a start;  but the upholstery is far too solidly installed all around the case for these screws to be the only anchors.  There must be another mechanism along the sides and the back of the lower portion of the metal case for holding the upholstery in place.

I've noticed that no one has spent much time explaining how they removed their TV.  This leads me to believe that I am overlooking something very simple.  I hope that someone will take pity and be kind enough to point it out to me.

Thanks,
John

Back
Top Bottom