Survey of CRT TV to LCD replacements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While at the 2012 Winnebago Grand National Rally, one of the vendor booths was from MOR/ryde - these are the guys that Winnebago buys all of their locking, telescoping or rotating TV mounts from. They weren't retailing mounts when we did our flat panel install, or I would have gone with one of their locking mounts.  Have a look at their website when you start shopping for mounts!

Yup!  Mor-ryde makes a great mount.  I discussed this back on page 5 of this thread.  Have had it in for about a year now and all is great.  I think I even suggested a vendor, but I don't remember. 

No credit needed here, just wanted to reinforce the stability of the mount.  By the way, I believe I ordered mine from Tweety's RV. :)

Finally got around to the bedroom TV in our Vectra 40FD.  The old Sony 19 inch space eater is gone and more storage has been created by using a new cabinet door (stained to match interior) and shelf.  The new Samsung 24 inch is mounted to the front of the cabinet.  The result is over 6 cubic feet of more storage the DW loves it.  Pictures included:

Attachments

• 100_0745 (640x480).jpg
    100_0745 (640x480).jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_0746 (640x480).jpg
    100_0746 (640x480).jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_0747 (640x480).jpg
    100_0747 (640x480).jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 126
Did you use any backing for the tv mount or is it mounted directly to the cabinet door? 

directly to the cabinet door with flat washers under the head of the four screws.  Center of cabinet door is made of MDF for support.

I just completed my first flat screen conversion on my 2003 Ultimate Advantage 40e. The TV was located in the front center overhead cabinet. It was a 26" RCA. It was replaced with a 32" Emerson flat screen model no. LC320EM2 from Walmart.  I removed and totally discarded (stored actually) the original oak surround.  I used a Morryde TV mount, model TV40-001H. The new flat screen fit perfectly side to side. My cabinet floor was already sloped toward the viewing area, so I had to turn the TV mount mounting plate upside down to drop the TV far enough to make room for the OEM surround sound speaker mounted above the TV, and to set the right angle to match the angled cabinet sides. The biggest issue was the curved metal front on the bottom of the cabinet. After some consideration and trepidation, I unleashed the metal cutting tools and removed the curve, making the bottom front straight across. I originally intended to create top and bottom boards to match the original oak cabinetry, but after a couple of weeks dawdling the DW declared she liked the black look above and below (as seen with nothing filling the gaps ...she watches TV only after dark) that matches the black frame around the TV screen. So after a bad attempt with MDF trim, I went to 1/4" plywood covered with a black denim-print cloth.  A 4x2 piece of plywood from Lowes, and 1 yard of material from Hancock fabrics gave me plenty of extra stock for re-do's if necessary. As the speakers are on the bottom of the TV, I drilled large holes in the bottom trim board before attaching the cloth. I used "Goop" adhesive (awesome stuff!) and a regular household stapler to attach the cloth to the plywood, and to attach velcro to the plywood to hold it in place above and below the TV ...using angle brackets inside the cabinet for the other side of the velcro. I did have to get the "wort" audio cable from River Park Audio in Elkhart IN to make the original Winnebago surround sound work. I am pleased with the result, and am amazed that after setting up the TV for local digital channels we do not have to get up and change the switcbox to antenna to watch locals ...we just move the channel selector from "4" for Dish and it goes right to the local digital channels!

You can see pics and some description of the process I went through on my website.
Edit: link in sig line.

Well I "bought" a 24" LED that doesn't lose or distort it's picture for well over 45 degrees off access so we can actually watch TV laying down, AND it's 50% more efficient than the LCD steam iron it replaces  :eek:

Cost me $00.17 after my company hotel points. Gave Best Buy a quarter and got change back :)

What model Jeff?  We replaced a very old (and expensive) 15" Sharp LCD in the aft cabin with a 19 or 20 inch Visio LED model last summer - it must weigh 1/3rd of the old Sharp.

It's a 24" LG, 1/2 as deep as the sharp too. The mounting panel is out in the radio room drying a nice matt black finish  :)

I don't remember LCD technology names, but I can lay this one back almost flat and still see it. It's akin to the larger hi-end plates or a CRT. I actually think I could have squeaked a 26" in the same hole. Now for routing HDMI up front  :mad:

Here's the result of the bedroom install...

Check out the extreme viewing angle on the last pic

Attachments

• Dark CU.jpg
    Dark CU.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 112
  • CU Flash.jpg
    CU Flash.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Foot of Bed.jpg
    Foot of Bed.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 109
Finally!  I converted. :)  After much thought and studying of the various methods in this thread, I decided to go for the easy option.  I removed the mahoosive old CRT and found I had 33" width between the two overheads lockers on each side of the gaping hole.  This meant a 32" LCD TV, which I got from Wally World online for $200 on a special (Vizio - very nice).

I then bought a large frame-type full-motion bracket and fitted it to the TV.  This enabled me to judge where it would sit in the existing steel frame (I decided to leave it all in, disposing of the plastic surround).  I manufactured a mounting board out of 3/4" ply, bolted it in place with nylon locknuts, cut out holes for the wiring, fitted an HDMI WiFi receiver so I can watch online streaming (great for UK TV ;) ), and fixed the bracket to the board.

Turns out the TV slopes downward at exactly the right angle to watch, and is held in place by the little metal lip which kept the old CRT TV in place.  I padded out the lip with rubber to absorb virbration, and have driven around 500 miles without so much as a squeak.

Finally, I trimmed it off with some black lightweight board from Walmart ($2.98 for the sheet) and it all looks like it's been there all its life. :)

Dougie.

Attachments

• 888012_504633099594618_265476577_o (Large).jpg
    888012_504633099594618_265476577_o (Large).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 899782_504632606261334_21514631_o (Large).jpg
    899782_504632606261334_21514631_o (Large).jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 143

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members