Survey of CRT TV to LCD replacements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The old CRT is out!  The power cord was on the bottom of the tv where I could not see it.  It was plugged into an unseen outlet behind the cabinet to the right behind the control box.

Attachments

• Removed old crt tv.jpg
    Removed old crt tv.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 139
I have tried to build a mock up box like I want to install in the metal Winny TV frame. It is giving me a lot of grief because of the mitered angles it requires. I am not a finish carpenter, so I have made numerous trial cuts to get the angles and they are fairly close, though not perfect. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments before I proceed any further. I have ordered a swivel mount which I will install on a wall inside the box, so it will be a few days before I receive it.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 79
I'm not sure what your picture is showing, also you should reduce the size of it to about 800x600 pixels.

Do you have a miter saw?  Cutting odd angles is difficult for sure.  When faced with an oddball situation like that I'll make a cardboard template and then cut wood to fit.  Sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error to get it right.

marbilupton said:
I have tried to build a mock up box like I want to install in the metal Winny TV frame. It is giving me a lot of grief because of the mitered angles it requires. I am not a finish carpenter, so I have made numerous trial cuts to get the angles and they are fairly close, though not perfect. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments before I proceed any further. I have ordered a swivel mount which I will install on a wall inside the box, so it will be a few days before I receive it.
  The angle is 30 degrees.

I am in the process of changing out our 27 inch Sony TV in the front of our 06 Adventurer 35A.  I am putting in a 32" LED and a SONY Surround sound/dvd.  I plan to use the frame and put an articulated arm in it.  The first problem was finding the rear mounting bolt to get the TV out.  I did not plan to take the bottom trim plastic off.  I have a good source of lumber and have some maple that will match the interior trim.

I am building in a storage shelf and keeping the original frame.  John did you figure out a lock yet?  I have a design I will use and will post pics when I get it done, I will be gone for 2 weeks so it will need to wait. 

schoolsout2 said:
..John did you figure out a lock yet? ..
Yes, finally!  I used some of the cherry I had to rip off the opening to make a keeper.  There is a "T" nut inserted from the backside the keeper screws into.  The pictures show the details.

Attachments

• Tab1.jpg
    Tab1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Tab2.jpg
    Tab2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Tab3.jpg
    Tab3.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 58
  • TVsecure1.jpg
    TVsecure1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 79
Well I finished the TV conversion for the front mounted CRT.  Now we are about 80 pounds lighter and I can do away with the Digital converter box.  While we were at it we put in the sterio so we can have the surround sound again.  I used some of the space for a shelf below to keep the remotes and a few other items, it is lage enough for the campground books for easy access on the road.  DW wanted one we could turn towards the couch and i wanted easy access to the wiring so we can add and remove some devices.

Attachments

• back.JPG
    back.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 128
  • finished.JPG
    finished.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 117
  • clamp.JPG
    clamp.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 101
  • out.JPG
    out.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 98
  • finished.JPG
    finished.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 110
Anyone used one of these?

JENSEN 24" 12 Volt LED LCD TV

http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen-24-led-dc-tv.html#review-list

John Canfield said:
$500?? Wow.  I like the 12V ability but not for that price.

Well, found it cheaper at camping world (it's "on sale")...and saved $10 more with coupon code I found online... "3705"  Been a while since I bought anything from camping world...looks like they finally got competitive; amazon must have given them a run for their money.  ;)

Going to try it out...just measured the main TV upfront and it looks like it will fit.

Well got the old tubes out today...pretty much ready to go for when the new 12 volt HDTV shows up... (not putting a TV back in the bedroom though)

I learned today (only recently bought the Winnebago) that I had a DC to AC inverter for the tube TV and VCR/DVD player.  But I prefer to have the 12 volt TV...more efficient and less drain on batteries. 

Got to get a bracket fabricated and go buy some paneling or something and vinyl to match to fill in the bottom as I am not putting the old plastic shrouds back in. 

Here is the TV:  http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/jensen-led-12-volt-hdtv-24-inch/68953
They have smaller and larger ones. 

Have this in-dash stereo/DVD player/Camera Monitor/Multimedia unit on the way so I have 12 volt multimedia ability and to replace that old sony black and white camera monitor.  (replacing camera too)  It has video out for the TV and auxiliary audio in from the TV. 
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68711_Jensen-VM9216BT-FREE-KIT-AND-HARNESS.html

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 56
Got the TV (looks nice)...that 24" 12 Volt Jensen fits perfect in the hole (height and width is perfect). It's going to look seamless when done.  I have some plywood and vinyl to fit in the bottom where the old TV hung down. 

After kicking around a few ideas for a mount I ended up using angle aluminum (u can get it from Lowes/Home Depot). 

I cut it and doubled it against each other.  Originally thought about building a square box with the aluminum but figured this might be just as good.... 

Here is a couple pics showing where I am now. 

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 73
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 79
More progress...

TV mounted - quality of the 12 volt TV is really good; really happy with it!

New multimedia center installed (AM/FM radio, DVD, back up monitor, MP3 player, etc). 

TV audio routed to radio/multimedia center.  Video out from radio/multimedia center to TV.  HDMI cable ran from TV to center console for auxiliary connections like tablet, laptop, etc. 

Still have to put in the new section under the TV...saving it for last for when I am sure all wiring is done.

Next up...install and run new back-up camera and cable. 

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom