Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Survey of CRT TV to LCD replacements  (Read 252231 times)

alaskalife

• ---
Re: Survey of CRT TV to LCD replacements
« Reply #270 on: March 25, 2014, 11:32:18 AM »
You can use existing coax to feed the other TV's the signal from sat and/or antenna.  For DVD, Blu-Ray, etc. the easiest thing will be to just have separate players for each TV. 
current:  1999 Winnebago Adventurer 35C Ford V10
sold:  2008 Keystone Big Sky 350 RLQ
........pulled by 2007 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Dually 2WD 5.9 Cummins and
........2000 Ford F-350 Crew Cab SRW 4WD 7.3 Turbo
traded:  pop-up with slide - forget model

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #271 on: March 25, 2014, 12:39:58 PM »
..What is the best and easiest way to get the appropriate signals to the 2 other tvs, keeping in mind the horror of having to pull new wire!!! Has anyone used an HDMI cat 5e 4x4 distribution box. Any recommendations on suppliers and ways to wire??
Thanks Les

Hi and welcome Les.  Here's a thread that might be of some value.  I don't think there is any easy way to get coax or Cat5 from one end to the other.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

TurtleKent

• ---
« Reply #272 on: April 19, 2014, 10:25:36 PM »
I replaced my TV a little differently.  I decided to locate the HDTV in the top cabinet opening, so I relocated the top doors down to the middle cabinet.  We found we liked the viewing angle much better having to look up slightly.  In the upper cabinet I made a plywood door, attached at the top with a piano hinge, mounted the HDTV to the face of the plywood, used gas struts to hold the TV upright so I could access all the new storage space behind.  Mounting HDTV on the face of the cabinet allowed me to install a larger TV(37") than would fit within the cabinet opening.
Kent, Sue, and Pecos
2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP
formerly 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #273 on: April 20, 2014, 07:19:52 AM »
Very creative idea Kent!  I'm going to split off your post and move it to the TV thread sticky.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

SCVJeff

• ---
« Reply #274 on: April 22, 2014, 11:23:16 PM »
Hi and welcome Les.  Here's a thread that might be of some value.  I don't think there is any easy way to get coax or Cat5 from one end to the other.
I wonder if he got lost in the bay?

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #275 on: April 23, 2014, 07:23:26 AM »
He hasn't been on the board since the end of March.  ???
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

mweber (KC9NPT)

• ---
« Reply #276 on: July 22, 2014, 07:40:42 AM »
Just went thru this whole thread, very interesting. We have a 2000 Suncruiser 35U and would like to replace the old monster GE. However, I would like to be able to drop TV when watching so that we are not looking up. Is there any reason that a swivel mount cannot be rotated 90 degrees so it goes up and down as opposed to side to side/ in and out?
When traveling, it would be up in position of existing TV, when watching down closer to to of dash.
Merrill
KC9NPT

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2002 Wrangler
2005 Liberty
Chicago 'burbs, IL

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #277 on: July 22, 2014, 08:27:57 AM »
Your TV is an over the dash version?  The new LED flat panels are very lightweight but you might have to custom engineer a mount.  If you could post some pictures of the area, maybe we can visualize your situation.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #278 on: July 22, 2014, 08:41:24 AM »
Is there any reason that a swivel mount cannot be rotated 90 degrees so it goes up and down as opposed to side to side/ in and out?

Yes!! The mount, in most cases, cannot hold the weight in that position. I tried this exact scenario in my trailer and the swivels simply could not hack it with the replacement 26" TV. It is not that heavy but...... I could not tighten the swivel joints enough to do any good and the TV  self-pivoted down towards the floor too much as well.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:44:36 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

mweber (KC9NPT)

• ---
« Reply #279 on: July 22, 2014, 08:52:58 AM »
Yes!! The mount, in most cases, cannot hold the weight in that position. I tried this exact scenario in my trailer and the swivels simply could not hack it with the replacement 26" TV. It is not that heavy but...... I could not tighten the swivel joints enough to do any good and the TV  self-pivoted down towards the floor too much as well.

Sorry, meant to respond to John's request for pix.

Here's a picture

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:56:08 AM by mweber (KC9NPT) »
Merrill
KC9NPT

2002 Wrangler
2005 Liberty
Chicago 'burbs, IL

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #280 on: July 22, 2014, 09:14:29 AM »
Stu's right - those friction mounts wouldn't (and aren't) designed to hold a TV in that orientation.  There are flip-down mounts available - this one is only rated for up to a 23" TV though.

I do think it's very possible to custom fabricate a mount that would handle a much larger screen.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

mweber (KC9NPT)

• ---
« Reply #281 on: July 22, 2014, 12:02:26 PM »
Thanks, but a flip down mount doesn't get it lower for viewing.
Merrill
KC9NPT

2002 Wrangler
2005 Liberty
Chicago 'burbs, IL

deerwinnie

• ---
  • 2003 JourneyDL 36GD
« Reply #282 on: July 25, 2014, 09:14:27 AM »
Been following this area, finally got tv switched out in our 2003 Journey DL, took out tv + metal framework, (pain in the #!@)  then designed new framework to hold 32" Jensen 12v tv
Hope pics post.
Alan & Glenita Dearden
Scott City, Ks
Age doesn't always bring wisdom, sometimes age comes alone.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #283 on: July 25, 2014, 09:26:36 AM »
Good show Alan!  Can you post some larger pictures, say 800 pixels wide?  It's really difficult to see your handiwork from the small pictures.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

deerwinnie

• ---
  • 2003 JourneyDL 36GD
« Reply #284 on: July 25, 2014, 10:10:37 AM »
I'll see if I can figure out how to post from my tablet, these pics I had too send to my email, then save to computer, that's why they were resized.
I'm technology chalenged, so bear with me....LOL
Alan & Glenita Dearden
Scott City, Ks
Age doesn't always bring wisdom, sometimes age comes alone.

gkaster

• ---
« Reply #285 on: July 26, 2014, 09:10:55 PM »
I did a conversion to LED from CRT in a 2006 Winn Adventurer 35A with maple woodwork/trim. Both front and bedroom tvs were replaced. Major issue was getting the front crt out. A little metal cutting had to be done to get it out. Once both were removed. I installed shelving in the openings adding storage area. This especially added needed storage in the bedroom area for linens and towels. I used 1/2 inch birch plywood and created two covers for the spaces from where the crts came out. These were fastened to existing woodwork with piano hinges, so the TV's could be lifted to give access to the new storage areas. I can send anyone interested some pictures.  If someone wants to discuss in greater detail they can contact me via email   ggkaster@gmail.com. Gary in Ohio

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #286 on: July 27, 2014, 08:42:39 AM »
Gary - please post your pictures here.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

gkaster

• ---
« Reply #287 on: July 27, 2014, 06:41:06 PM »
I tried to attach them but got an error that the files were too large. Any suggestions?

gkaster

• ---
« Reply #288 on: July 27, 2014, 06:58:36 PM »
I went back and resized my original photos. I have attached 4 that illustrate my points.

jwleslie

• ---
« Reply #289 on: July 27, 2014, 10:36:17 PM »
This is a reply to mweber from earlier this month who is looking for TV mount that can be used to move the TV to a lower position.  I had the same issue when I changed the old CRT TV to a new 32 inch flat panel in my 2002 Itasca Suncruiser.  I found the following mount available from Amazon:

OmniMount PLAY20 Interactive Panel Mount

It works great.  Allows me to lower the TV By a foot or more for viewing and then is easy to move back for stowing.

If interested I could post a picture or 2 of the finished work, but it would be a few days.

Edit by staff: added link to product

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:43:43 AM by John Canfield »

mweber (KC9NPT)

• ---
« Reply #290 on: July 28, 2014, 06:38:12 AM »
Thanks, will take a look at it today.
Would appreciate pictures when you can.
Merrill
KC9NPT

2002 Wrangler
2005 Liberty
Chicago 'burbs, IL

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #291 on: July 28, 2014, 07:44:32 AM »
Welcome jwleslie!
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

jwleslie

• ---
« Reply #292 on: August 01, 2014, 10:32:43 PM »
Here are pictures of the install of a 32 inch flat panel TV in the front of my 2002 Suncruiser 35U.  I used the Omni Mount Play20. 

I should have taken pictures during the process, but did not. 

Basically I removed the existing 25 or 26 inch GE TV and all of the Winnebago supplied metal supports and the fiberglass surround.  I built a wood support structure including the post show in the pictures.  The post is attached at the bottom and to the existing metal frame at the top.  The post needed to be offset from the center for the mount so that the TV would swing back to the center when stowed.  This required taking careful measurements.  The wood structure is probably beefier than it needs to be, but I did not want to take any chances considering that it needs to tolerate driving conditions.  I then trimmed it with oak plywood and moldings so that it fits with existing oak cabinets.  Not a perfect match on the finish but pretty good.  I also used some foam weather stripping to cushion the TV.  The Omni Mount allows us to lower the TV as well as swivel it for viewing.

I picked a 32 inch TV because it fit perfectly between the existing cabinets.  Besides the TV, I spent about $100 on the project.  This included the mount and oak trim.  I used poplar for the structure because I had it available.  And I had all the necessary tools.

Before I started on the project, I reviewed in depth the information on this forum and found it very helpful.  I realized that each of these TV conversion projects is custom.  I gave this a lot of thought and a little bit of try and error.  I actually purchased a more conventional mount  and tried to turn it 90 degrees.  Never installed it because I realized it would not work.  Was able to return it.  I then found the Omni Mount and it works very well.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the welcome!  I find this forum to be very educational.  We have had our Suncruiser for only a few months and the information here has proved valuable.

jwleslie

flat Panel

Edit by staff: removed excess blank lines
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:55:26 AM by John Canfield »

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #293 on: August 02, 2014, 06:57:12 AM »
Excellent!  That's a novel idea for an over the dash TV.  Poplar is an excellent secondary wood, I always keep quite a bit on hand for woodworking projects.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

mweber (KC9NPT)

• ---
« Reply #294 on: August 02, 2014, 07:40:05 AM »
Thanks for the pictures. I was looking at using a 32" Insignia from Best Buy. Are you saying the mount has to swing to side in order to be raised?

Merrill
Merrill
KC9NPT

2002 Wrangler
2005 Liberty
Chicago 'burbs, IL

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #295 on: August 02, 2014, 07:56:25 AM »
Probably only because that is where he chose to mount the post. If it was mounted in the centre of the opening it would likely drop straight down unless the arm was too long to permit this.
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

jwleslie

• ---
« Reply #296 on: August 02, 2014, 10:24:35 AM »
The mount does not have to swing side to side in order to be raised or lowered.  It will move up or down in line with the mounting post and somewhat to either side of the post.  In order to put the TV into the stowed position between the existing cabinets, I needed to locate the post away from the center line of the opening.  I could have gone either right or left - chose to go right.

Here is a link to the Omni Mount website where you can download some additional information about the Play 20.

http://www.omnimount.com/products/tv_wall_mounts/interactive/play20/

There may be other products available that work similar or even better.  But this works great for us and we are pleased. 

We also thought about placing the TV in other locations in the motorhome.  We don't particular like it to be in the front between the cabinets.  But other locations would have required a lot more effort and probably substantially more cost.  With the solution we have we can at least lower it into a more suitable viewing angle.  We have a significantly improved picture compared to the old TV and eliminated a fair amount of weight as well.

If you have any other questions, please ask.

jwleslie

mweber (KC9NPT)

• ---
« Reply #297 on: August 02, 2014, 11:17:26 AM »
I was planning on having it drop straight down, but after seeing your pictures, DW decided that your way would be better for viewing from slide.

Another question, did you have plastic surrounding original TV? I can only locate 4 screws to remove the front piece, is that all there is, do you remember?\\Thanks for your help.
Merrill
KC9NPT

2002 Wrangler
2005 Liberty
Chicago 'burbs, IL

jwleslie

• ---
« Reply #298 on: August 02, 2014, 02:04:14 PM »
Yes, there was beige colored plastic (I think actually fiberglass) surrounding the TV.  I don't remember how many screws needed to be removed.  I kind of recall that this was 2 pieces - one at the front and one covering the bottom.  There may be some descriptions in this forum about how to remove this.  I can tell you the old TV in mine was very heavy 60 - 70 lbs, so it would be good to have help since it is a tight space and somewhat awkward.  And the TV was secured with a fairly large metal bracket and good size bolts.  Not terribly difficult to remove the bracket but it is a tight space. 

I'd be happy to answer any other questions, and am interested in how you proceed.

jwleslie

mweber (KC9NPT)

• ---
« Reply #299 on: August 02, 2014, 02:39:22 PM »
Did you reinstall the courtesy light that is under the TV, works when you opened the driver door?

Mine is definitely 2 pieces, part covering bottom has several screws holding it in place.

Will take me a while to do this, especially wood working part. Not very good at that and don't have all the proper tools
Merrill
KC9NPT

2002 Wrangler
2005 Liberty
Chicago 'burbs, IL

Hosted by Over The Network