Survey of CRT TV to LCD replacements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I did reinstall the courtesy light.  If you look closely at the picture named "Showing Post Offset from center.jpg" you will notice the white and yellow wires and the blue wire nuts.  The light is mounted underneath.  I don't anticipate using the light often, but it's there if needed.  Actually one of the easier things I did.  We don't expect to use the space for storage, so the wires are not really in the way. 

My DW does not like seeing the bones behind the TV, so she put in a little black "curtain" using a small spring rod.  Simple and effective.  You can see that in the picture named "TV lowered for viewing.jpg".

In researching how to do my project I saw write ups of how people put in new TVs but kept the plastic or fiberglass surrounds.  That may not require woodworking or as much.  I wanted to make it look as if it came from the factory.  Fortunately I had the time and enough of the skills to satisfy myself and my DW. 

It might be easier for you if you could contact me directly.  I'm not sure how to do that.  I'm a little reluctant to provide contact info on a public forum.

jwleslie

mweber (KC9NPT) said:
Will send you a PM on here with my email address, just check for messages at My Messages at top of page.

If you put your email address in your profile, people can email you directly but the address won't be exposed to anyone other than the recipient.

Piano hinge

Both gkaster and Turtlekent said they used a piano hinge on the upward opening cabinet door.  We like the idea of mounting the flat TV on this door and using the piano hinge.  Having never used piano hinges we have been doing internet research.

We would like the door to have about an inch overhang all around so the door would latch tightly against the frame.  After watching a bunch of Youtube videos, they all talk about a 'swinging' type door with piano hinge.

We need some direction.  How did you install your piano hinge so the door closed firm?  What gauge piano hinge would be strong (extra strong) enough?  Would another type of hinge be a stronger, better choice?

Obviously we are not cabinet makers but can do this.  We have boxed in the 'new' storage space, insulated behind all the cab0ver space.  I am thinking of stapling carpet on the bottom up and around about a quarter of the way up.  I am thinking it would be sound deadening and cover up where the  floor/sides meet . What do you think?

Any suggestions, thoughts or ramblings on this topic are appreciated.
Mike Leslie
2003 Winnebago Minnie 29C

Just bought a 2008 Itasca Latitue, the tv in the bedroom is a flat screen analog.  We would like to replace it with a digital, and was wondering if anyone has done this and what all is involved.
I'm handicaps thanks to a stroke a couple of years ago and would welcome all the help or suggestions that will help us do the change out.
The current unit has wood pieces on each side of it, and looks like they would have to be removed to get to the mounting brackets, but hate to remove them without knowing for sure.

Thanks!

Bob

John,

Thanks for the information.  I called them and they confirmed what I thought about the wood pieces on both sides of the current analog set.

We have a 2005 Minnie 26H and are going to replace the original CRT with a 24" Sanyo from Walmart.  My plan is to mount a 12X21" piece of oak over the opening after we take everything out.  Then mount the articulating arm to the new piece of oak.  We will still have room to put a blue ray player on the bottom of the shelf and maybe a Slingbox M1 to watch our home TV while on the road.  I wonder if the original antennae (satellite and bat wing will have to be changed also.  Will post photos after we get it done.

If you want high definition satellite, then you will most likely need to upgrade your equipment.  For high def over-the-air TV, Wineguard sells an add-on assembly which improves the antenna performance of the venerable bat-wing antenna or you can replace the large bat-wing with a much smaller antenna designed for the new TV frequencies.  You remove the bat-wing from the arms and mount the new one, very simple and inexpensive.

Only took me since last August to take out the old GE anchor and put in an Insignia 32" that can be lowered to almost eye level when sitting in coach. Also swivels to either side if we want. Still have to decide what to do with space behind the tv. Used an OmniMount 25X mount.

Attachments

• DSCF2689.JPG
    DSCF2689.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF2688.JPG
    DSCF2688.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF2687.JPG
    DSCF2687.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF2686.JPG
    DSCF2686.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 89
The mount is designed for 7 - 25 lb tv. This one is 9 lb so the tension even at its lowest is enough to hold it in any position. Plus, if you look closely at the enlargement below, you can see part of the bracket for the tv stand bottom center below the tv frame. It's hollow and I just screwed an L bracket  to the steel frame under the tv and lower the bracket over the .The mount tension keeps everything in place and the bracket is just a safety to prevent tv from extending away from cabinetry.

Attachments

• DSCF2689xplod.jpg
    DSCF2689xplod.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 69
I assume everyone following this thread got the same email notice that it was updated? The last posting 8 see is Johns in April

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom