Survey of CRT TV to LCD replacements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John Canfield said:
Very nice job!  You're inspiring me to get my change-out started.  Got my Hitachi LCD modified for adjustable line-level audio out (to feed the Q-surround), now the hard part begins  :D
John: Does your Surround Sound have optical inputs? I have a Sony in the cabinet that does, and I just plugged a fiber in for real digital 5.1 when it's there.

Jeff - the "Surround sound" that Winnie used in our model years is not 5.1 Dolby.  The amplifier takes Left/Right analog audio and feeds a bunch of speakers in the coach and a woofer speaker.  Not only that, the "Q-Surround" amplifier is mounted about 10 feet away from the electronics in a bay under the driver  :eek:.  Access to the speaker wiring is unfortunately not convenient for a 5.1 Dolby retrofit.

Thanks Bunky for your post. I finally got the photos resized of our remodel of the CRT TV to the LCD replacement. It is a 26" Sanyo and we didn't make any changes that we can't un-do. Here are some of the photos we would like to share.
Thank you RV Forum for all the great suggestions.
Iron Horse

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 376
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 327
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 367
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 342
  • 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 383
We have an '04 Vectra 40AD. The HEAVY 27" Sony was located in an entertainment center directly behind the passenger seat (as it is John's Horizon as well). I was able to find a Magnavox 32" LCD/DVD (32MD359B) at Sam's for $379 that fit into the opening in the cabinet with no modification. It's only 720p, but my eyes can't tell the difference in a screen this size and we don't have HD with our TracVision anyway. I used a Sanus VM400 mount which is very stout and weighs very nearly as much as the TV does. I chose to use "multi-purpose" carpet to finish the 3/4" plywood floor and 1/4" luan sides of the cabinet because we didn't want things we put behind the TV for storage to "migrate" if possible, and the trade off for me me in time as opposed to staining and finishing was attractive. I used regular ol' contact cement to attach the carpet to the floor and side walls. The mount upright is 1x4 with a braced 2x4 backing. I also attached a power strip/surge suppressor to the 2x4 and will plug in a small LED night light on the power strip for TV watching or just a dim night light. I allowed the TV to recess a bit from flush when the mount is fully retracted to allow the use of simple 1" foam pipe insulation as the "keepers" in travel mode. How that will work out remains to be seen, but I'm hopeful. I'm still tweaking the mount, and need to replace the trim to cover the screw holes over the TV (Winnie used what appeared to be some super heavy duty double sided tape to keep that trim piece in place!!) - you can see that very plainly in the pics. I apologize for the picture resolution - it is the best I could coax out of my cell phone.  ;)  Overall, we're pretty pleased with how it came out, and I'm sure we can find something to fill up the newly found space!

Pops

Attachments

• 1_original_Sony (Small).jpg
    1_original_Sony (Small).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 4_Cab_w_mount_and_brace_2 (Small).jpg
    4_Cab_w_mount_and_brace_2 (Small).jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 5_Cab_w_mount_and_floor_1 (Small).jpg
    5_Cab_w_mount_and_floor_1 (Small).jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 6_Fin_cab_w_mount_and_pwr_strip (Small).jpg
    6_Fin_cab_w_mount_and_pwr_strip (Small).jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 7_LCD_mounted_in_cab_norm (Small).jpg
    7_LCD_mounted_in_cab_norm (Small).jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 8_LCD_swiveled_w_power_strip (Small).jpg
    8_LCD_swiveled_w_power_strip (Small).jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 9_LCD_mounted_in_cabinet_1 (Small).jpg
    9_LCD_mounted_in_cabinet_1 (Small).jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 9a_LCD_near_full_extension (Small).jpg
    9a_LCD_near_full_extension (Small).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 9b_LCD_travel_mode_1 (Small).jpg
    9b_LCD_travel_mode_1 (Small).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 155
Pops - good job!!

We bought a 720p TV as well - I think very few sat TV programs are a full 1080p and those are pay-per-view.  Your install looks a little similar to Rex's (LK23) except Rex (and me) lined the former CRT TV space with stained plywood.  I was considering lining the space like you did - that would have saved me hours of time and a bit of money.

Many thanks for taking the time to share your project :D

Hooray - I finally wrote up the replacement of the glass monster TV in the salon with our new 32" Hitachi LCD and I have a few pictures where I installed 5.1 surround speakers.  We have been using the new setup for about a month now and it works fantastically well - even the surround sound is very good even though the speaker placement is a compromise due to the rectangular shape of the salon.

I am using some foam to wedge into the sides of the TV when on the road, but it will still manage to extend a little after a few hours of road time.  Don't think this is a big deal since we used a double arm TV mount and there is little movement of the TV.  I'll keep pondering a solution for capturing the TV.

I have a 2001 Journey 36 DL and I have been racking my brain on a neat and tidy way to change the tube tv in the bedroom to a nice lcd. I have the old tv out along with the cabinet. I am just trying to find a way to mount the new tv and still have the holes in the wall covered.
Any ideas are appreciated.

'05 Journey
36G
Front overhead

While about 2/3 way through our 12,000 mile trip I realized I needed a new satellite dish to keep the DW happy.  We had plans to stop by the factory to have them address another issue.  DW said while we there they should do the dish also.  I asked if they could and they said yes.  About a week out she said why don't I have them do the crt to lcd also.  I said okay, whatever you say dear.  Got a quote and it seemed reasonable.  So had a new Winegard Trav'ler 3005 installed.  Wanted a Sony 32" to replace the RCA.  After they started into it I was informed the Sony wouldn't work because of the sound system so got a Jensen 32".  Then I found out that it would work with my satellite receiver so got a new HR 24-500 HD DVR receiver.  They cut the big box out.  Weighed the box only and found out it was 47 #s all by itself (no including crt tv).  Only thing I was real happy with is the fact that the new tv is mounted outside the old frame.  I was hoping to have it mounted inside the space where the old box was.  The Sony would have fit but the Jensen doesn't.  Needless to say it was quite the upgrade from just a new dish.  I am overall pretty happy.

In our 2007 Itasca Ellipse 40 FD we have:

1) Replaced the 27" Sony CRT "brick" above the fireplace with an HP 37" LCD...

2) Replaced the 19" LCD in the bedroom with a Sony 32" LCD...

3) Replaced the Winegard ASC 2003 dish with a Winegard Slimline Travelr...

The Slimline feeds a DirecTv HD DVR which in turn feeds all TVs via HDMI cable which I had to run.  The bedroom replacement was a piece of cake except for having to buy and route a 50' HDMI cable.  At the same time, I reversed the usage of the red/white/yellow composite cables between the bedroom tv and bedroom DVD player so we now have the better sound available for tv watching.

The living room tv replacement required a bit more modification due to the fireplace being located below the set.  I actually replaced the original fireplace (which had died) with a new one and built out the mounting cabinet about 2" to ensure the heat would clear the tv.

Next on the list is to replace the outside 20" (non digital) LCD TV with a 26" LCD yet to be determined.

We have a 2006 Vectra 40FD that came with a big 30" crt in the cabinet behind the passenger seat.  I pulled it out to hook up HDMI Cables and decided to forget about putting it back.  I replaced it with a 42" LCD mounted on a frame built inside the cabinet.  It is on a swivel mount.  If anyone is interested in how I did it, for this installation, let me know.  I also pulled out the Wingard distribution system and put in DishHD.

We have a 2006 Vectra 40FD that came with a big 30" crt in the cabinet behind the passenger seat.  I pulled it out to hook up HDMI Cables and decided to forget about putting it back.  I replaced it with a 42" LCD mounted on a frame built inside the cabinet.  It is on a swivel mount.  If anyone is interested in how I did it, for this installation, let me know.  I also pulled out the Wingard distribution system and put in DishHD.

Welcome.  I'd love to see some photos of how you did it.  I have an Ellipse 40FD and replaced the 26" CRT with a 37".  I'll post a couple of photos soon but I'm afraid I didn't document with photos during construction.  What TV do you have in the bedroom?  Any plans to change?

Hi--  I have an 03 Journey DL.  The rear TV is mounted in a cabinet in the corner.  Anyone ever remove the cabinet?  seems like it would be a nice idea to ditch the cabinet and mount a flat screen tv directly on the wall.

Back
Top Bottom