Survey of CRT TV to LCD replacements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
stardalo said:
Hi--  I have an 03 Journey DL.  The rear TV is mounted in a cabinet in the corner.  Anyone ever remove the cabinet?  seems like it would be a nice idea to ditch the cabinet and mount a flat screen tv directly on the wall.

I have a 2000 Horizon and have a similar "angled" TV in the bedroom area.  I've removed the TV and find that behind it is some exposed wiring plus a 12vdc power outlet for the TV.  If one does as you desire (and I am considering it as well) some fascade will be required to hide the wiring.  It needs to be "removeable" in order to service the wiring, if needbe.  Done right, it should be a neat installation and the front face of the fascade could be used for wall-mounting the TV.

I have a 2003 Horizon 36LD and it had the same "headknocker" 19" TV. When I removed the TV and the cabinet I found the same bundle of wires which were about 3" into the bedroom. I used a 2X6 sawed diagonally for a top piece and a bottom piece. This allows the TV to be angled for better viewing and the wires are now inside of the enclosure. I needed to have the TV controls on the left or top because the right side of the TV is against the wall.  I found a 26" Sony which meets that criteria. I next built the mounting hardware from aluminum materials and a cover from thin plywood to make it look OK. I took some pictures which probably turned out OK, but at the end the flash reflections from the screen ruined the last ones. I think the installation looks great and it works good. I do not however recommend the Sony, because the remote control doesn't work very well. I have now added a platform to mount a satellite H24 receiver.

If someone wants to build the same system I will describe it more completely and add some pictures.

These are some of the pictures from my installation.

06 Missile launch as seen from my yard at the house.
08 rear of TV with mounting plated installed
09 Rear of TV with mounting plates installed.
11 Rear of TV with mounting plates installed.
12 Space where TV will be mounted
13 Space where TV will be mounted
14 Space where TV will be mounted
16 TV mounted
17 TV mounted
18 H24 HD DirecTV receiver
22 Finished job except for clamp to hold RX to platform

12 & 13 Show how the 2X6 was sawed to make the mounting plates

8 thru 11 show the aluminum mounting plates

The smaller plate replaces the original foot to hold the TV when set on a floor. It is  mounted to the bottom 2X6.

The larger plate and the piece of angle are slid below the top mounting arm and twp long screws are installed from the top and go into the aluminum angle.

When the TV is mounted make a shroud from thin plywood to cover the open space.

When all is done it should look somewhat like as shown in 22 except nicer.

The TV is a 26" Sony 720p. The TV controls are on the top. You can probably find a better choice TV than the Sony. Be sure to check the vertical viewing angle. I had a Toshiba that was so bad that when lying on the bed, the picture almost disappeared. I took it back and ordered the Sony through amazon.com. The Sony has a great picture but the remote control is pretty bad and slow to respond.

Attachments

• DSCN0606 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0606 (Small).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN0608 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0608 (Small).jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN0609 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0609 (Small).jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN0611 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0611 (Small).jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN0612 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0612 (Small).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN0613 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0613 (Small).jpg
    357 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN0614 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0614 (Small).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN0616 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0616 (Small).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN0617 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0617 (Small).jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCN0618 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0618 (Small).jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN0622 (Small).jpg
    DSCN0622 (Small).jpg
    389 KB · Views: 174
OK, after months of delay, mostly because I lacked inspiration, I have finally completed my front TV mod in my 2000 Itasca Horizon.  I replaced the 25" CRT boat anchor with a 32" Vizio LCD.  My intent, when I started was to try and make this look like it was "made this way" from the factory.  I partially succeeded, but was foiled a bit by not being able to match 100%, the color of the sun faded maple in my coach.  I'm happy with it and the looks are what I wanted to achieve.  As opposed to spending a lot of words here on how it was done, I decided to prepare a tutorial and pictures for inclusion in the library if Tom/John think that is appropriate.  If not, I can furnish both in emails to anyone who is interested.  I've posted a few pictures of the finished product.  Simply stated, I modified the metal cabinet by sawing the "ears" off it at the bottom on each side and fabricated/mounted some pieces to it to hold the new TV.  I cut the rounded front off the old wooden surround and extended the side pieces out to interface with the rear of the TV.  The old plastic was utilized and the rounded front was cut off in a straight line and that interfaced with the new wooden surround I created.

Attachments

• Picture 18-Front View.JPG
    Picture 18-Front View.JPG
    371.9 KB · Views: 253
  • Picture 19-Side View Right.JPG
    Picture 19-Side View Right.JPG
    404.2 KB · Views: 225
  • Picture 21-Bottom.JPG
    Picture 21-Bottom.JPG
    373.1 KB · Views: 196
tennsmith said:
...As opposed to spending a lot of words here on how it was done, I decided to prepare a tutorial and pictures for inclusion in the library if Tom/John think that is appropriate....

Great idea Bob and very nicely done project!  Can you email the file to Tom?

John, I have already sent the text and pictures to Tom.  Heard back from him and he said he'd try and get it in the library tonight.  Stardalo, give him a day to get it done and if it isn't there, I'll mail you the text and pictures.

With regard to marverickbbd's post on July 9, 2010, I found this link relating to Jensen's claim that the Jensen LCD TV's are designed for RV use.  I was wondering why Winnebago factory would install the Jensen line of LCD TVs as part of maverickbbd's upgrade.  This link indicates that Jensen's models are specifically designed for the rugged RV environment.  I would appreciate more of an explanation on how the Jensen LCD TV interfaces with the surround sound system in maverickbbd's coach.

http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/products/lcd-tvs/lcd-tvs.html

Finally got around to posting pics of my two TV conversions on our Ellipse 40FD.  Salon tv is an HP 37" and the bedroom is a Sony Bravia 32".  We're very happy with both.  Next comes the outside tv conversion to some form of 26".

Attachments

• DSC08447.JPG
    DSC08447.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC08535.JPG
    DSC08535.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC08536.JPG
    DSC08536.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC08537.JPG
    DSC08537.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 103
2005 itasca 33v crt replacement.  I am a hobby woodworker, which helped.  Removed frame, old tv, plastic tub, metal wrap around tub from old crt. I had to make a couple cuts to get the metal tub out.  Made a new frame for my Phillips 1080i 32" lcd using most of the old frame and adding hangars of oak and plywood to attach the tv bracket to the back of the tv. Put a nice covered piece of 1/4" plywood over the hole left by the plastic tub and it gives me a lot more visibility looking at mtn scenery etc... I can post pics if anyone is interested in how it looks...By using the phillips tv it is only 30 1/2 inches wide and I could make it fit inside the exhisting frame without cutting the side boards.  All I had to do was make a new bottom board and back hangars...

We have an '06 Vectra 40FD, and I replaced my 30" Sony flat screen CRT with a 37" Dynex LCD.  The TV came from Best Buy on sale for $400.  The exterior dimensions were perfect, I ended up with approximately a 3/4" space all around the TV and the cabinet opening, without modification.  The LCD TV weighs only 37lbs., whereas the Sony was a struggle for two of us to handle and remove.  I made a mount for the articulating arm from 3/4" plywood, and used square u-bolts to fasten it to the 3/4" by 1 1/2" metal supports which run underneath the cabinet floor.  I also replaced the outside 25" Sony TV with a Weber Baby Q, which I use MUCH more often, and gained another considerable weight loss.  I had previously installed a Tivax digital converter, and also a Jack antenna.  Where I'm now located, I  could only receive two OTA stations, now with the LCD TV, and removing the converter, I can now receive a total of thirteen channels.  I don't have satellite TV, only a cable hookup when available, so the OTA reception comes in real handy.  I will try to post photos when I can figure out how to do that.

Pushrod, don't forget to get some of that fancy new 'wood' floor in the pictures.

I guess I can do that, but I'll wait till I can open it all up to see the full effect........  Call me if you know how to post pics...... Doug

Maybe this will work.....  As requested by MAVERICKBBD, I threw in a couple of shots of our new laminate wood flooring.

Attachments

• 42 Buick 011.jpg
    42 Buick 011.jpg
    618.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 42 Buick 010.jpg
    42 Buick 010.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 42 Buick 010.jpg
    42 Buick 010.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 42 Buick 008.jpg
    42 Buick 008.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 42 Buick 006.jpg
    42 Buick 006.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 42 Buick 007.jpg
    42 Buick 007.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 111
Doug - thanks for the pictures!!  That's an interesting idea about securing the TV - I still don't have a good plan for that as yet.

I better not let Jane see the pictures of your floor - I would instantly have a new project  ;D  We would both like to get rid of our carpet - at least in the salon.  Was the transition from the wood flooring to tile fairly smooth?

Back
Top Bottom