Survey of CRT TV to LCD replacements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only had to hand over some Benjamins to install the floor......  My wife (and I) love the new surface, very easy to keep clean, no more shampooing the carpet, and it is not cold like the tile.  We had it installed by Dave and LJ's, in Woodland,WA.  Also had MCD shades put in the front window and cab sides, easy to operate, and very dark.  Obviously, we will be keeping this coach for awhile.  Doug M.

Nice pics.  So what is the first game you are going to have the guys over to watch?  I'll bring the stuffed and roasted jalapenos.

Ooh.. ooh - venison poppers (backstrap wrapped around a jalapeno pepper stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon)  ;D ;D Oh, forgot the freezer is empty.  Deer season open 11/6  :)

The dealer we bought ours from last spring installed a LCD TV before we bought it. a 26" CRT came out and this 26" LCD went back in it's place. I thought they did a good job.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    360.4 KB · Views: 209
Nice trim and finish.  Can't tell from the pics if the "box" behind it was removed or not.

The box behind was not removed and I'm having trouble finding the TV amplifier, I hope the dealer didn't remove it. The Tv wiring diagram shows it in behind the tv but it's not there.

If you are talking about the amp for the surround sound, try looking down by your left foot when you sit in the driver's seat.  If you ever want to remove and extra fifty pounds from over your head, I would suggest removing the box.

Yes there is a booster under my left foot rest, So That does the TV surround sound also.?? Thank you!!
Now to find the plug-ins they left unplugged from the new TV.....
Can you elorbrate on the box you are referring to. I'm not sure what you are talking about.
Thanks 

Wristpin said:
Yes there is a booster under my left foot rest, So That does the TV surround sound also.?? Thank you!!
Now to find the plug-ins they left unplugged from the new TV.....
Can you elaborate on the box you are referring to. I'm not sure what you are talking about.
Thanks 

Now guys next question.....
What controls the volume when you have the surround speakers plugged in and the speaker switch set to TV?

If your 'surround' sound is like mine (Q-Surround or something like that), it is driven by a variable line-level output from the TV or dash radio.  The Q-Surround is basically an amp that drives a bunch of cube speakers (and a woofer or two) and the amp controls are set at the Winnie factory.  You do not directly control the amp.  (This is how my system operates at least.)

OK!

2 hours into my trip to Fl, I pulled into Walmart and replaced the front tv!  I put in a 22" Emerson in the Wal mart parking lot - it looks great - all i need to do is find some natural oak at a cabinet shop on my way, and I'm converted!!!!!

The original tv developed MAJOR feedback on the way, the kids were screaming, blah blah blah, $300 and 3 hours later we are rollin with great DVD's and clear sound!

Although, when I run the generator the sound is clear.  When I pull power thru the inverter, there is a small amount of feedback.  Any ideas there??

susann9090 said:
Although, when I run the generator the sound is clear.  When I pull power thru the inverter, there is a small amount of feedback.  Any ideas there??

Ah - DVDs - the great entertainer  ;)

Your inverter's output is not a pure sine wave, but a square wave which drives some electronics batty (or is known to cause premature failure in certain devices) - here's a pretty decent FAQ about the issue (lower part of the page.)

You have inspired me to create the "Most Unlikely Place to do a Mod" award.  I should have anticipated this and installed my roof air in our local WalMart parking lot instead of my shop.

You rock  :D

lol!  thats funny john, i also did some electrical work in the wal mart parking lot!

so i got the tv in, i got some oak at menards and trimmed out my existing "shroud".  it looks great.  there is no feedback when i am plugged in, or when the gen set is running, but there is a little feedback when i am running on 12v.

should i just get a new inverter?

I'm a big fan of pure sine wave inverters, but they are considerably more expensive than the square or somewhat more expensive than stepped square wave inverters.  Here's a good Xantrex pure sine wave inverter that would be a good candidate for your application.  Don't even click on the link unless you are willing to fork out about $1.5k  :p.

wow!

for that kind of $$, i will just run the gen set while the kids are watching tv going down the road!!!

lol!  thanks!

The first order of business was the removal of the old TV and donating it to the guys in the office of the storage yard. The next and perhaps the most time consuming phase was measuring the available space and coming up with a workable means of mounting. As you can see, once the old TV is removed there remains an irregular flat surface and the front wooden frame. Not much vertical surface for mounting a flat panel unit.

My solution was to build an elevated shelf that would serve two purposes:

One, it raises the TV towards the upper portion of the frame more efficiently filling that space, while leaving suitable space below the shelf for placing a DVD player or satellite receiver.

Second, it allows a solid base to support a vertical frame element holding the TV itself. The open area to the left rear is for access to the rear of the receiver or DVD player without removing it. Well that, and I did not have the right tools for cutting the complex angles required to miter in the piece that would be required to complete that fourth side. I have installed a piece of the same carpet covering the base as a light shield over that opening to eliminate distracting light if watching TV during the day. But, who does that?

We originally planned to use a 26? TV, but since we seldom watch TV in the bedroom we elected to economize and go with a 24? unit. The mounting will accommodate a 26? TV should we, or a subsequent owner, want one. Rather than try to shave away the raised square of fiberboard in the center of the shelf I elected to retain it to hold the future DVD player in place with Velcro.

TV: Toshiba 24SL410U
Mount: Dynex DX-TVM111

Attachments

• vs-reartv1.jpg
    vs-reartv1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 89
  • vs-reartv3.jpg
    vs-reartv3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 78
  • vs-reartv8.jpg
    vs-reartv8.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 77
  • vs-reartv9.jpg
    vs-reartv9.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 76
  • vs-reartv11.jpg
    vs-reartv11.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 83
  • vs-reartv14.jpg
    vs-reartv14.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 79
2004 Itasca Sundancer 427P
Location of TV : entertainment center over passengers seat
Old TV: 27" RCA Tube Color TV, dint know the model number
New TV: 26" LED LCD 720p LG off Amazon.  Key features for me.  Power consumption (low 37watts), weight (11 pounds), Head phone jack ( got a head phone jack to RCA jack splitter off Amazon to connect to existing surround sound), RGB video input (to use as a monitor for my laptop)
Problems with the install:  The biggest problem is that when I removed the old TV I discovered the area behind the TV unfinished, bare particle board, and 1x2" framing.  Gained great access to the surround sound amp.  I cut 3/4" plywood to form a deck and cover the framing.  Next I got a discounted box of laminate flooring.  I custom cut flooring to cover bare particle board on inside of front cap, plywood covered 1x2 framing, and 3/4 plywood deck.  Mounted TV to through 3/4"plywood and 1x2 frame on extending arm.  Mounted printer behind the TV.  Connected sound Jack from laptop to sound in RGB jack on TV to get sound from laptop (DVDs, Netflicks, music) to TV.  Connected Main TV out on selector box to TV with coax TV cable (for Sat, Antenna, or cable).  Connected RGB output from laptop to back of TV to use as laptop monitor.  Connected wireless keyboard and mouse to laptop via USB.  Connected Droid 2 to USB port on laptop using PDAnet to internet access.  I removed the DVD player and use the area in the entertainmet center for the laptop.  Eventually I plan to bypass TV for sound and go directly from the laptop to the amp for surround sound system. 
I sit on the couch and check email and forums thru the Droid (as Modem) to the laptop to the TV as a monitor with wireless keyboard and mouse.   

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom