Survey of CRT TV to LCD replacements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a Sony with Blu-Ray - $370 at Amazon, a little over your budget but purchasing it would greatly assist the country's economic recovery.

Show us some pictures of your proposed area in question and maybe we can help you with planning.

I wouldn't worry too much about clearances for receiving antennas unless it is a dish that relies on line-of-sight.  Heck - you're the engineer :p .

Hi Ho:  Thanks again, John.  I did see the Sony that you suggest.  It includes a set of speakers that I don't need, so I didn't really look at it.  The receiver doesn't seem to be a receiver, but a Blu Ray with amplifiers.  We don't use the radio in the coach but rather the one in the receiver, so I think I will keep that approach.  Also, the depth of the cabinets is less than 15 inches so in order to make connections of the back of the receiver it must be less deep than that (say about 14 inches).  All of the Sony receivers are less than 14 inches.

As far as the antennas are concerned I will just mount the dish as far back as I can and let it go at that.  Receive antennas are as important as transmit antennas for satellite links.  Antennas are reciprocal which means that the transmit and receive performance is the same.  There is typically only about 2 dB of link margin for TVRO.  That seems incredibly small, but link margin is expensive.  There isn't much one can do to improve the receive performance except to use a preamp (LNB) with a lower noise figure (or noise temperature) or get a bigger antenna, so obstructions of any kind can be a link margin killer.  We have all had the TV quit when there is just a little snow of frost on the radome.  Attenuation from rain is also significant at C-Band to say nothing of the Ka-band that Direct TV uses for HD.  One thing about obstructions from verticle antennas is that it will only be a problem (if at all) when the dish is pointed in one direction.

Back up on the roof today to finish dish installation.

By the way, as I was getting my medical review for my pilot's license last week the doc said that older folks (like me) are more likely to die from accident because of breaking a hip than any other cause.  Be careful on roofs!

Dirk

dirko said:
... I did see the Sony that you suggest.  It includes a set of speakers that I don't need, so I didn't really look at it.

Hi Dirk - that was just a quick suggestion, there are doubtless many others out there in the market.  I have lots of speakers lying around that have been removed from service, so unused stuff gets squirreled away.

[OT]

Speaking of squirreled away, I'm doing some storage building cleaning (on the property) and I came across my student pilot license and medical certificate from 25 years ago.  I had to jump through hoops to get my medical due to some long past arrhythmia issues.  I quit flying at 40 hours when we moved to Florida from Dallas :-\  Father-in-law put his logbook away at 4,100 hours.  He was a CFII, multi-engine, and medical flight examiner.

[/OT]

Hi Ho John:  I like to keep stuff for eventual use, but my wife is an "antihorder" so that get mitigated.  I can really relate to the "jumping through hoops".  About 9 years ago I had an MI, so each year I get to do the "hoop jumping".  Just finished with the cardiologist and my internest.  I have probably had more echocardiograms (each year) than anyone I know.  Tomorrow I get to see the medical flight examiner one again.

he problem is that we spend so much time in the motorhome that I don't get as much time flying as I used to.  I know, that's a tough problem.  :) :)  Thanks again for your continued involvement in the Rvforum.  You contribute a great deal.

Dirk

I have a Sunrise 32V. We do not like looking up at an angle to watch TV.  The easy chair that normally sits behind the passenger seat was not there when we purchased the unit so Cleo the dog sleeps there. I'm taking about 8 inches of the floor space and installing a flat screen with a lift. Using a lift as I will be blocking a window when watching TV. Will make a cabinet to match current wood work which will hide TV and lift when not in use. This is a work in progress and will post some pictures when it's done. The existing TV location will be modified into a storage cabinet for DVD and what ever.  Rear TV has been removed and space turned into a towel storage cabinet.  Purchased a 32 inch Samsung LED/LCD from Costco for $376 CND and have been using it a little in the house to break it in prior to install in MH. :)

artdecamper said:
... Purchased a 32 inch Samsung LED/LCD from Costco for $376 CND and have been using it a little in the house to break it in prior to install in MH....

Breaking it in first in the house is a very good idea.  Good luck and take lots of pictures for us!!

My turn in the barrel....

Getting close to being done. I did things a little different. First the background; '04 Adventurer, 26" Sony CRT over the dash, replaced with 32" Panasonic.

What I did differently is to totally remove the face frame, the plastic shroud underneath, and the metal frame that held the original TV. Biggest surprise to me was how much the metal piece I took out weighed; 40 pounds! That and a 77 pound TV means I'll loose almost 100 pounds with the new setup. I modeled the setup after what is done in the Sightseers with front flat TVs.

After I had it all removed, I just installed a piece of wood just behind the cabinet faces on the sides, made a hole in it access the connections. Only comes down as far headliner on the bottom. Carpeted the new panel with cheap black automotive style carpet. Simple non-adjustable mount for the TV bolted to the new panel.

The new TV only hangs a few inches below the cabinets on either side. I need to make a new headliner still, to cover where I removed the plastic shroud, but some luan and some cheap tan vinyl will take care of that. I will be adding some powered visors at the same time, no old holes from that swap is a bonus.  Some damage from the old face rubbing on the "wood" of the side cabinets to deal with sometime, but that is mostly cosmetic.

Sorry no pics yet, just hung the TV in place last night. Be on vacation in a week, get some pictures then.

Well the old Sony is gone and the new 32" JVC is installed.  Lot's more room in the upper cabinet too, as the old DVD/VCR is history.  :)

Attachments

• DSC00019 (640x480).jpg
    DSC00019 (640x480).jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC00023 (640x480).jpg
    DSC00023 (640x480).jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00028 (640x480).jpg
    DSC00028 (640x480).jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00029 (640x480).jpg
    DSC00029 (640x480).jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00040 (640x480).jpg
    DSC00040 (640x480).jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC00045 (640x480).jpg
    DSC00045 (640x480).jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC00051 (480x640).jpg
    DSC00051 (480x640).jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC00052 (640x480).jpg
    DSC00052 (640x480).jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 87
A Mor/Ryde TV Mount TV-40-001H-S.  I got it from Tweety's RV on the net.  Good price, works great.  Haven't traveled with it yet but it does lock in place and looks like it will keep everything where it belongs.

Interesting. I still haven't engineered a travel lock for our LCD install - so far I am just living with its propensity to work its way out an inch or two.

LED TV Installation Update

I had to modify my TV installation.  It wasn't unexpected.  I knew that I might need to secure the TV when traveling.  When driving the TV would tilt forward over time and start rattling.  I made a wooden clip that sits on top of the TV and wedges behind the sound bar that keeps the TV from tilting forward.

Pictures of clip below:

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd417/JamesDAllen/Sightseer%2029R%20TV%20Replacement/2011-10-07164900.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd417/JamesDAllen/Sightseer%2029R%20TV%20Replacement/2011-10-07164914.jpg

Another problem: I was not able to control the sound bar volume with my DirecTV remote control.  I have searched for a DirecTV remote code but none worked.  I contacted both DirecTV and Panasonic and neither could help me.  I connected the sound bar to the TV using an optical cable.  I read last night that someone connected the sound bar to their TV using a HDMI cable and they were able to use any remote.  I just tried a HDMI cable and it works.  I can now control sound bar volume using the DirecTV remote. 

Safe Travels.

JD & Kathy

Thanks for the report JD.  I can't use a wedge like you did - I need to get brain cells working on solving my problem.  I'm not familiar with your sound bar - I suppose it contains its own amplifier?

ennored said:
My turn in the barrel....

Getting close to being done. I did things a little different. First the background; '04 Adventurer, 26" Sony CRT over the dash, replaced with 32" Panasonic.

What I did differently is to totally remove the face frame, the plastic shroud underneath, and the metal frame that held the original TV. Biggest surprise to me was how much the metal piece I took out weighed; 40 pounds! That and a 77 pound TV means I'll loose almost 100 pounds with the new setup. I modeled the setup after what is done in the Sightseers with front flat TVs.

After I had it all removed, I just installed a piece of wood just behind the cabinet faces on the sides, made a hole in it access the connections. Only comes down as far headliner on the bottom. Carpeted the new panel with cheap black automotive style carpet. Simple non-adjustable mount for the TV bolted to the new panel.

The new TV only hangs a few inches below the cabinets on either side. I need to make a new headliner still, to cover where I removed the plastic shroud, but some luan and some cheap tan vinyl will take care of that. I will be adding some powered visors at the same time, no old holes from that swap is a bonus.  Some damage from the old face rubbing on the "wood" of the side cabinets to deal with sometime, but that is mostly cosmetic.

Took a quick pic in the dark last night, gets the idea across, nothing left of the original TV setup.

Attachments

• New TV.jpg
    New TV.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 283
Just finished my TV upgrade in my Winnebago 06 31C Outlook that has a overhead entertainment center. Sorry no pictures!
I changed out the 25 inch RCA with a new 26 inch Samsung flat screen. I used 3/4 inch finish plywood to construct a 4 sided 6 inch deep box to fit the opening of the old TV. Then a  3/4 plywood back was added also. I mounted the box on the inside of the opening resting it on the original steel frame on the bottom of the opening. Then holding the box against the opening I screwed it into place thru the original outside trim. Covered the 4 countersunk holes with wood plugs and stained everything to match my original Winnebago trim.
I held the TV in place by drilling 2 counter sunk holes thru the bottom plastic base. I just have some packing material holding the top of the TV for now while traveling. Don't forget to take it out while playing the TV because of heat buildup!
What a great looking upgrade, if I do say so myself!  :)
Scott  ;D

Just took the Vectra on a twenty mile warm up run to fill it with propane for the Winter.  The new Flat screen stayed put with the Mor/Ryde mount, didn't rattle or make noise, I guess the project can now be determined a success.

I have a different angle of attack on this one. My 2004 Vectra 40AD has the side mounted TV but it's not where I want it even if it was an LCD. I saw some new models that had a TV mounted in the buffet and a motor to raise it up and down to hide it away when travelling. The buffet is where we really wanted the TV. The usual place is no directly accross from the recliner and the TV can't be seen when at the table eating so we decided to temporarily let the TV just sit on the buffet and to lay it on the bed when travelling. I'm going to experiment with an idea of putting an eye hook or two above the buffet and hooking a bungee from the eye hooks to the tv when traveling and taking the bungee off for appearances when parked. Velcro under the TV's stand would keep it from moving side to side. I got a 32 inch LCD LED that is VERY thin and weighs only 18 pounds. This is not an elegant solution but we will live with it for a while to see how it works until we come up with a better idea.

In the mean time our rig is at the local dealer getting prepped for our fulltime launch in the spring. One thing they are doing is puting a couple doors on the opening that held the TV. This way it will be another storage area. In the future we may do something different but this is our permanent/temporary solution

As requested here is my particular info:

Model, model year, floorplan of your Winnebago Industries RV
2004 Vectra 40AD

Location of replaced TV (dash, bedroom, etc.)
Living room behind passenger front seat, facing to the driver side sofa/recliner

Make, model, size of TV to be replaced (if known)
Sony 27FS100N

Make, model number, size of replacement LCD
Samsung UN32D6000 32-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV

Issues with the replacement, other comments
see above text

Trav'ler satellite dish for direct TV is also being installed.
We LIKE everything we like.... We are nevr just CAMPING.
We are fulltimers. (or will be in 7 months)

This TV is in my 1989 Itasca.  I would like to replace it but we are not interested in a large TV.  I would like to fill the same space with a new digital TV.

I would appreciate hearing some ideas on how to do this.

Old TV

Thanks,
Jim & Deanna

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom