Digital Camera Purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueblood

My kids bought me a Kodak EasyShare CX7530 for Fathers Day to replace a very old early model digital I've been using for many moons. 
This is okay for some things but far short of what I'd like to be able to photograph on our travels.

I'm close to jumping upscale for a digital camera and looking at the  Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20K. I would like to have any input on camera or possible good source (I see several on Interent at~ $400 ). Bottom line to try and put it simply is this a good way to go to be able to take high quality photos of distant objects like when touring National Parks in west, etc. and on other hand being able to do similar quality work on close up wildlife, etc.

There are some very good 12x zoom, image stabilized, cameras available today for well under $1000.  The Panasonic DMC-FZ20K that you mentioned is one of them.  I've seen it for about $400 at http://www.42photo.com/productdetail.asp?level=&catid=0&productid=12672.

I'm on the same quest for the same reason.

To add to your research Blueblood, there several cameras in the Panasonic Lumix family, including a new Z30 - 8 MP.  My primary source is http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=746.

Olympus has announced a "coming soon" 10x image stabilized camera. http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=775

Since I like my current Olympus and the fact that the new Olympus, like my old one, use AA batteries I'm eagerly awaiting the reviews on the new Olympus.

Ned, that's a great price - any history on 42nd St Photo?

Joel

42nd St. Photo has been around a long time.  I remember them advertising in Photography magazine back in the 70s.

Leo,

Kodak has recently announced a new series digital, P850 and P880.

<http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_3906.html>

will get you some information.

The P850 is 12X optical, image stabalized, 5 megapixel ($499 list).  The P880 is an 8 megapixel with a shorter zoom ($599 list).

My family members have 2 DX6490's and one DX 7590 (?), 4 and 5 megapixel cameras that we have all been pretty happy with.  They are 10X optical zoom ... important to me.

As my daughter and I shared the DX6490 until recently (she bought me out  ;D  ) I was looking to replace with the 7590, but now may certainly take a second look at the P850 ... need that zoom and the image stabalization would certainly be good.

Howard

The new P850 looks like a winner for the point & shoot person (like me) that still wants a long zoom lens and plenty of megapixels. I'll be anxiously awaiting the reviews at dcresource.com and Steve's digicam pages  http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Jerry F.  Has a new Panasonic with stabilized 12X optical zoom.  I was very impressed with it.  He had it at Moab this year.
Mayb Jerry will jump in and give the details.

Ron said:
Mayb Jerry will jump in and give the details.

You won't be able to stop him Ron  ;D  But it sure is a nice camera that he has.

Tom said:
You won't be able to stop him Ron? ;D? But it sure is a nice camera that he has.

I wouldn't want to stop him.  He is probably the most experienced in the framily right now with that camera.  I was very impressed and from what I have seen so far that is the camera I want.

blueblood said:
My kids bought me a Kodak EasyShare CX7530 for Fathers Day to replace a very old early model digital I've been using for many moons. 
This is okay for some things but far short of what I'd like to be able to photograph on our travels.

I'm close to jumping upscale for a digital camera and looking at the  Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20K. I would like to have any input on camera or possible good source (I see several on Interent at~ $400 ). Bottom line to try and put it simply is this a good way to go to be able to take high quality photos of distant objects like when touring National Parks in west, etc. and on other hand being able to do similar quality work on close up wildlife, etc.

Leo

I bought mine based on Jerry Fitzgerald's strong recommendation. I give it one also.

FWIW I have been very happy with my Olympus.  The pics I post on this forum are from that (latest posted in Sam's camp mini rally thread).

BernieD said:
Leo

I bought mine based on Jerry Fitzgerald's strong recommendation. I give it one also.

I am highly impressed with Jerry's new camera with 12X stablized optical zoom.  Excellent camera at a reasonable price.

Ron said:
I am highly impressed with Jerry's new camera with 12X stabilized optical zoom.? Excellent camera at a reasonable price.

I liked its specs and review so I bought it last Thursday from Central Digital for $401 + shipping. They moved fast. The web site said 1 to 2 business days to ship then shipping time. They actually shipped in less than 4 hours from Brooklyn and package arrived just over 24 hrs later in SLC on Friday. I paid for 3 day select which meant receipt tommorrow at 4:30 but it arrived today at 3:19.

Some added info. I found that a number of web sites could be found at one of two physical addresses in Brooklyn. I was a little leary of Central Digital for this reason but as I noted above it worked real well. I had tried 42nd Photo but despite web site showing in stock it wasn't and as I called each web site rather than place on line I found similar situation repeatedly. I worked a list of lowest prices from PriceGrabber but eventually got lowest price from a non-listed site i.e. Central Digital

The biggest hurdle was shipping address not same as billing. Many refused to ship -others asked that I call MC and have them add the shipping address to my records. They then added 4 days to verify the address plus then added the normal time to ship, plus shipping, making the whole proposed shipping time nearly two weeks in business days.  I found that MC wasn't exactly thrilled with making the addition to records but was willing to do it. I decided not to go that route.

My solution was to go on line to my account record and change my billing address to shipping address; a change which takes place immediately. I then placed order -waited for store to confirm information and ship then reversed the procedure.  ::)

Congratulations on the new camera Leo. I too was impressed with it when Jerry demo'd it at Moab. Do you think he's on some kind of commission?  ;D

Congratulation in the new Camera Leo  that is an impressive camera.  Just ask Jerry he is probably the most experienced framily member with that camera. ;D

Grats BB on the new camera.  I note you got the same camera as Jerry, but not sure which camera that is.  Could you provide the details?

That was pretty clever how you changed addresses and then back again.

Smoky said:
Grats BB on the new camera.? I note you got the same camera as Jerry, but not sure which camera that is.? Could you provide the details?

That was pretty clever how you changed addresses and then back again.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20K

BTW _ I purchased a Sandisk I GB Extreme III SD card for the camera. Per manufacturer -
This 1 Gigabyte SD Card has a minimum of 20MB/second sequential write and read speed (based on SanDisk internal testing), which allows for faster capturing of large image files to the card, faster viewing of images and faster data transfer rates.

It will do  130+  images uncompressed.

Probably overkill but what the heck only live once

Leo,

Trust me, that 1Gig card is not overkill!!! You will find it very useful once you start taking pictures.

Jim Dick said:
Leo,

Trust me, that 1Gig card is not overkill!!! You will find it very useful once you start taking pictures.

Thanks, Jim I don't remember if the pictures I looked at at your place in TGO were digital or film but I'd love to some day be able to come even close to the beauty.

Leo,

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, all my pics for the past 5 years or so have been digital. You should be able to easily take them now. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom