Digital Camera Purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another option to the digital camera is to get a videocam that thas the ability to take still shots.  I recently purchased a Sony video camera that will also take digital snapshots to a memory stick.  We took it on our last vacation overseas and it was great.  It took very high quality snapshots as well as video on tape. 

I also own a Cannon 4 mp digital camera which I would recommend to anyone.  It has been dropped a few times, and it is still ticking and taking great pics. 

Both of these cameras interface directly to the computer.  They work great with the photo software that came with my HP printer so I am able to print the pictures.

Hope this helps.

Smoky said:
I wish I had a 1 gig card.? Definitely not overkill you lucky guy you! :D

Its all ways interesting how one can write something with one thought in mind and others read it differently. When I wrote overkill I was thinking about the speed 20MBps read or write which makes a cost premium of about 50 per cent over std high speed card and thus generally is only used by professionals. The responses here all referred to the 1GB. ;D

Well if the write speed prevents any kind of lag between pressing the button for the shot and writing the shot to the card, it still is not overkill IMO.  I just hate that lag and cannot take high speed stuff without being really lucky.

Smoky,
There are two types of time lags in a digital camera: (#1) between pressing the button and capturing the image on the CCD and (#2) recording the image from the CCD to the memory card.  The first affects composition of the shot - a moving subject will have changed position (or facial expression) before the image is captured. The second affects  your ability to take another shot and also to follow the action through the viewfinder.  A fast memory card helps the second factor but not the first.

Some digitals have noticeably shorter #1 time lags than others, but all of them have some. For that matter, most all autofocus cameras have some of the #1 type of lag.  If the lag is an important factor for you (it is for me), it's wise to check the detailed specs (or a professional quality review) on the lag factors before purchasing a  digital camera

Gary,

The lag on my Nikon 990 used to drive me crazy. I'd just get the composition right and something would move after I pressed the shutter. I noticed on the digital SLR there is no perceptible lag. The photo I took of the hummingbird hovering would have been near impossible with the 990. They just dart around too fast.

Yeah, the short lag is one of the nice features of your Canon Rebel.

Reviews on Steve's Digicams (www.steves-digicams.com) and DCResource.com usually report on the lag time for each camera 

Gary,

Steve's and DPReview are two I use all the time when looking for info. Not sure if I've ever looked at DCResource.

I hope there will be a well attended discussion regarding digital cameras at Moab.  Sounds like a perfect time to become educated.  My main criterion is light weight, which sometimes minimizes the megapixel and zoom features.  I'll be interested in upgrading from my Canon Elph.

--pat

Pat said:
I hope there will be a well attended discussion regarding digital cameras at Moab.

Hopefully the Moab head rally organizer (Phil???) is following along.

My main criterion is light weight, which sometimes minimizes the megapixel and zoom features.

Jerry's camera is tough to beat when combining those features (and others) and weight. But, of course, technology keeps marching on and someone might have something lighter with more features at a lower price by time the Moab rally rolls around.

I think we're going to get the new Kodak P850.  5Mpixel, 12x optical zoom, image stabilizer, excellent optics, and the familiarity of Kodak cameras.  This would be our 3rd Kodak digital.  The list price is $499, which is very attractive, even without any discounts.

Ned said:
I think we're going to get the new Kodak P850.? 5Mpixel, 12x optical zoom, image stabilizer, excellent optics, and the familiarity of Kodak cameras.? This would be our 3rd Kodak digital.? The list price is $499, which is very attractive, even without any discounts.

Does that mean Lorna will be giving a show and tell demo at QZ and Moab?? ??? ??? ;D

Tom said:
Hopefully the Moab head rally organizer (Phil???) is following along.

Tom,

By the time the Moab rally rolls around, the camera will be totally obsolete and the guy with the new replacement model will not be at the rally. :-[

Phil

LOL Phil, but someone will have their latest and greatest camera at Moab.

Tom said:
LOL Phil, but someone will have their latest and greatest camera at Moab.

That's the person that gets to do the show and tell.  ;D

That Kodak you are looking at looks to be a very nice camera. I looked at buying it before I bought my new camera...however it was a little to big from what I needed...however from what I could see in the store it is a very capable camera, good luck with the purchase :D!

I just bought a Nikon Coolpix 7900 last week. So far I am finding it okay...but not awesome. I wanted something pocket sized and "point and shoot"....which is what I got basically, however because it is so small, it lacks optical zoom (3x only)...however it makes up for the lack of optical zoom with the 7.1MP resolution so I can always crop with photoshop if needed. I usually use the LCD screen to take pictures, and I find the battery life to be excellent.

However I think you'd be more happy with the Kodak...it has a nice lens on it...it has a powerful optical zoom, and a nice large view finder. Again, good luck with the purchase :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom