Ron Ruward in hospital 6-3-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArdraF

All,

Sam called me today to say that Ron had a stroke the other night and is in the hospital.  They're in Lewistown which has a small hospital.  Luckily their daughter Lisa, Brian, and Alexandra were visiting at the time.  Brian returned to work and Steven will be arriving next week, so Sam has family with her.

Apparently Ron had developed a heart murmur since his last checkup.  He began acting strangely that evening, such as rubbing the top of his head.  In the middle of the night Sam awakened when Ron started making odd noises and movements.  When she turned on the light she realized something was very wrong and they got Ron to the hospital where they diagnosed a stroke and put him on clot busters.  They're still doing tests, but his left side is most affected, especially his leg.  The biggest problem right now is that he's having difficulty swallowing so they've been trying to put feeding tubes in but Ron pulls them out.  He was so agitated that they gave him meds to quiet him so he's sleeping a lot and they'll try the tubes again later.

Now for the good news.  Ron's vital signs are all good and he's stabilized enough to be moved today from intensive care to acute care.  Also, he's always recognized Sam but, initially, not Lisa.  Now he recognizes Lisa and spoke clearly to a nurse for the first time.  At this point they don't have a prognosis, but Sam figures it's going to be a lengthy recovery with physical therapy, speech therapy, and such.

Sam asked me to let you all know about Ron's condition.  If you want to talk with her directly, please call on her cell phone instead of Ron's.  Also, Lisa and Brian were helping her get into the computer so she can communicate with us that way, but she said to remember she's not very computer literate.  Steve will also be able to help her when he arrives.

We hope Ron's recovery will be a swift one.

ArdraF

Thanks for posting that Ardra. I wondered why Ron hadn't been around the forum; He's usually here multiple times each day. I'll give Sam a call.

Just got off the phone with Sam. She seems to be holding up very well through this. The update was pretty much as Ardra reported. In addition to family, she said that they have a good church support group there in Lewiston. Sam said she would keep Ardra updated so Ardra can keep the rest of us updated.

Thanks for letting us know about Ron. I also noticed that he hadn't been around but thought maybe he was just off fishing. Tell Sam that our thoughts and prayers are with them both and here's hoping for a quick recovery that's easy on both of them.

Wendy

Ardra, thank you for letting us know about Ron.  We'll give Sam a call.  Can you email me Sam's cell phone number, I have just one number for them and it's probably Ron's.

Thanks for posting Ardra.  I don't have Sam's cell number as I always called Ron.    :)

Please forward it to me.  We are close so could help if Sam want us to come by.

Ardra,

Thank you very much for letting us know.  I also need Sam's  phone number and a snail mail address if you don't mind .  If Sam  gets online  we wish her the very best.  I have a feeling Ron will make a stubborn patient.  But then who has a husband that wouldn't resist any illness. 

Physical therapy and speech therapy can work wonders.

Cyber Hugs to us all. 

Betty

I'd also like cell number and snail mail address if you get a chance.

Wendy

Hi Ardra,

We're really sorry to hear about Ron. We'll hope and pray that he will recover quickly. Please email us Sam's number and address so we may call her.

Tell Sam how sorry we are to hear about Ron.  We hope his recovery will be speedy.  Our thoughts and good wishes go with him.  We are finding out that doing what the doctors and nurses tell him are the best and fastest ways to recovery. 

Daisy and Fred

Please pass along our prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery for Ron. It sounds like he's making progress and we hope that continues to accelerate.  Karen and I had a wonderful visit with them in April on our way back to Canada and look forward to stopping at " Sam's Camp" again some day to visit both.

Dale & Karen

Ardra, thanks for relaying the news. Please forward best wishes from Ray and Dani. We hope he does well, and recovers quickly. Our best to Sam, while she holds the fort.

Ray and Dani.

Oh, my -- what a shock!!  Thanks for alerting us, Ardra.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to Ron and Sam.  I'm not surprised he's combative, post stroke.  He's a fighter.  He's tough -- I'm confident he'll give it his absolute all during recovery.

Please e-mail Sam's cell number as all we have is Ron's.  Also would appreciate an e-mail with their snail mail address.  We stayed at Sam's Camp many years ago and I'm sure I could find it today if we were in the area, but have no idea what the actual address is.

Hang in there, Ron, Sam and family.

Tom and Margi 

Ron and Sam have always been in our corner, whatever lap it might be. Sam, we're here in yours.

Please send me Sam's cell and their snail mail address --I'm one of thos with only Ron's as well. . .

Hi Ardra,

Even though we haven't seen or talked to Ron & Sam in a while (in person) We would also like Sam's contact info by email so we can at least offer our prayers for Ron and any help if needed.

Jerry & Arlyne Ray

Ardra:

Ron and Sam are in our thoughts. We  also need Sam's number.

Thanks

Ron and Sam you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Sam, from someone that has been there done that, Peg says to make sure Ron does ALL the rehab. Some of it doesn't seem like it is doing anything or doesn't have a purpose but the rehab people have it figured out and there is a purpose for everything.

Hi Ardra,

So sorry to hear Ron is in the hospital. Please tell Sam we are thinking of them, saying a prayer, and wishing all good things for them as they get through rehab.

Jan and Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom