Ron Ruward in hospital 6-3-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have little doubt that when Ron is ready we will know it! ;D

ROFL

Yes, I bet he is building himself up for that first post ;)

Ron, take care mate, we're still here and always thinking good thoughts for you.

Ron is well aware that you're all here still.  I specifically told him his friends - not only in the U.S. but around the world including Ian in Austrailia - are keeping tabs on his progresss.  I think it will be a while before he communicates with us, but I can assure you his humor hasn't changed.  Meanwhile, I'll continue being his surrogate communicator as things come up.

ArdraF

Ian,

Sorry for the delay. Been busy lately and haven't visited the forum much.

No, I think we should take it easy on Ron for awhile. He'll let us know when he's ready. ;D ;D

Oh I am so sorry I just heard about this!!!  I don't know how it passed me by!  :eek:

Well, I am glad to hear that Ron is doing much better!  I have to add Ron to my prayers!!

This is a synopsis of a message I posted in the staff area earlier today.

I talked with Ron on the phone yesterday, having talked with Sam the day before. Progress is extremely slow and somewhat frustrating for both of them. Ron has lost his taste buds and, as a result, isn't eating much of anything. He's lost a lot of weight in addition to having lost muscle mass.

He receives daily physical therapy, but is unable to stand up without help, and is essentially confined to a wheelchair. Because the wheelchair is uncomfortable for him, he spends a lot of time in bed but, as Ron says, laying in bed gets old.

Sam had a ramp built at the house, so one day she took Ron home in the local wheelchair bus. When they arrived, the driver told Sam this would be last time he'd wheel Ron up the ramp unless/until she gets it changed to be less steep.

Ron appears quite lucid when he's talking, but does tend to wander off, apparently due to his short term memory loss. He remembers the visits by Ned & Lorna and the Fitzgeralds, and especially enjoyed seeing them in person.

Sam told me that Ron reads pretty well, and she takes the newspaper in for him to read. So, if anyone wants to send him a note, he'll read it. If someone wishes to call, Ron has a phone in his room. Since Sam spends the mornings there and returns in the evenings, the best time to call Ron would be between 1.00pm and 5.00pm local time (in Montana). Send me a PM if you need the address or the phone number.

I'm sure Sam would appreciate an occasional phone call to give her some support. Again, send me a PM if you need the number.

I spoke with Sam this morning and have some POSITIVE NEWS for a change.  Ron had another ultrasound and the hematoma is GONE!  He's also not complaining much about the pain in his leg anymore.  Yeaaa!  Sam said his legs are starting to regain some strength.  In the physical therapy area they have an Encore device he uses.  They hook him into the sling-like device which lifts him and helps him relearn how to stand and walk.  If he can stand on one leg they'll consider taking him back to Billings.  I told her that's the news we all want to hear!  Also, if he sits on his relatively soft bed he tends to be a little tippy, so they have him sit on a hard surface and he's making progress on remaining upright.  So he's also regaining some upper body strength.

Ron's rather iffy eating has continued to be a concern, although he's been eating somewhat better than he was.  He still has difficulty swallowing so they did a Barium test and found a small ulcer at the bottom of his esophagus.  There's no pain but the doctor said it could cause the swallowing problems so they'll be changing some of his medications.

I asked Sam if Ron is wanting to make another home visit and she said definitely.  He asks every day.  The problem is the ramp she had built is too steep and the person who transported him said he wouldn't do it again until it had a better angle.  So Sam's been talking with construction people to find out what is needed.  It seems the standard for a wheelchair ramp is one foot per one inch of height from the ground.  I recall their porch as having five or six steps so they need to make the ramp 38 feet long!  Luckily there's enough room because their yard is quite large, but they would probably make it angled with a landing - which, of course, has to be wide enough to go around the corner.  Nothing is ever easy!  Jerry suggested adding a winch-type device and pulling him up the current ramp which might save some cost.  She laughed and said Ron had already thought of that so she'll be looking into it.  Even that is good news because Ron's participating in the decision.

I know some of you have called recently and they really apppreciate hearing from you, so thanks on their behalf for providing moral support.

ArdraF

Thanks for the update, Ardra. Good to hear that Ron is making some progress. Baby steps are still steps forward. Sam and Ron continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

Wendy

Hi Ardra,

After Chet called you we did talk with Sam and Ron. His voice sounded as usual though his answers were slightly delayed. He still has a sense of humor. It was good to hear him again. Wish we could be out there.

Thank you Ardra and Tom for the updates. Good news is always great to hear. Please let Sam & Ron know that Arlyne & I will be keeping them both in our prayers and thoughts.

Jerry & Arlyne Ray

Our hearts are singing!  ;D ;D  Last night as we were preparing dinner, Jerry's phone rang.  It was Ron!  They had a great conversation that lasted well over half an hour.  There were occasional long pauses during "processing" but Ron was alert and sounded good.  Yeaaa!  Jerry told him everyone is sending good wishes his way.  I also spoke briefly with Sam and she was pleased that he's beginning to show a little more progress.

I had just finished typing the above when Jerry's phone rang and it was again Ron!  Last night Jerry had mentioned something about our motorhome tires.  He had been thinking about it and wanted to talk about it more.  Maybe this means he's ready to get back to living life again!

ArdraF
;D ;D

GREAT NEWS Ardra, ;D

Thanks for the update. Sounds like Ron is getting back to almost normal. We will keep the good thoughts and prayers coming for even more recovery.

Jerry & Arlyne

Wow!  That's the best report yet.  Thanks so much for keeping us up to date with Ron's progress, Ardra.

Margi

I was under the kitchen sink fixing a leak a short while ago, when the phone rang. Chris said "it's area code 406". Sure enough, it was Ron. I don't have anything to add to Ardra's report, but it was good hearing Ron's voice.

ArdraF said:
Our hearts are singing!  ;D ;D  Last night as we were preparing dinner, Jerry's phone rang.  It was Ron!  They had a great conversation that lasted well over half an hour...

Great news!  Next time, ask him about Gulf Stream, Apple, and KOA.  That should keep him going for an hour or more.  :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom