Ron Ruward in hospital 6-3-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy, Ardra.
Thank you so much for the update on Sam and Ron. Glad to hear that they're coming to Texas. Wow.

Best regards,
Jack and Liz

Tom, thanks so much for those photos of Ron and Sam.  Would you believe Sam and I shopped together for the fabric for that specific quilt?!?  I don't quilt but I love pretty fabrics and we always had fun going fabric shopping while the guys went to Fry's or fixed something.  For not being a quilter I sure know where the quilt stores are located and I can't begin to tell you how much I miss those expeditions!

ArdraF

Ardra,

Maybe once they are settled in Dallas you can do that with Sam/Donna again.  Then you can go see them and then come down and stay on our buddy pad too.  There are many things to do and see in our area and we would love to have you.

Here's a pic of Ron and Sam during a lunch stop while on an off road from a Qz forum rally. That was the first time I had seen them in their travel chair for two. Ron loved off roading w/forum members.

Ron and I were the initial users of mobile internet via satelite - back when it was considered against FCC regulations to do so. We trained in Gila Bend, then went to tripod mounts, and then manually operated roof mounts. Ron never moved on to automatic roof mounts and loved to brag that he could climb to his rig roof, set up the dish, find the sat and be on line within 15 minutes. He also loved to set up a dummy 50A post beside his rig in the desert. Newbee's would ask him to save the site beside him thinking the post was real.

The second pic was taken the day I asked him to go up there so I could record his speed.

Thank you, Ardra, for caring about Ron and Sam and keeping us up to date . . .

Attachments

• RonAndSamS.jpg
    RonAndSamS.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 38
  • ronAndPost.jpg
    ronAndPost.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 37
Great photo of Ron and Sam.

He also loved to set up a dummy 50A post beside his rig in the desert.

Aye Bob, and that was a full hookup, complete with electric, water, sewer and cable TV.

Attachments

• 50A hookups.jpg
    50A hookups.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 36
It's amazing how many memories we've all shared over the years.  To you forum newbies:  it's only just begun!  I envy your starting out on this wonderful adventure!  I would do every single minute all over again in a heartbeat.  :)

Margi

It's amazing how many memories we've all shared over the years.

That's for sure Margi, and folks can view some of those memories captured in our photo galleries. Just click on the Photos button above and select an album (they're all labeled). Reminds me that I'm delinquent in adding photos from the last couple of RV Forum rallies.

Thanks Ardra for keeping us up to date.

Peg and I have very fond memories of our time spent with Donna and Ron. Before we got Jack I started to carry dog treats like Ron for our friend's dogs. It cost me 2 hours at the Canadian boarder once trying to explain to the border guard why I had dog treats but didn't have a dog.

I remember the year at Quartzsite when Ron had just installed a train horn on their MH. My son Ken came to Quartzsite that year and brought his dog Zander with him. Ken and I and a couple of other guys were standing about 20 feet in front of Ron and Donna's coach when Ron blew the horn while showing it to someone. It took us two days to get Zander back in his skin.

And who can forget Ron hooking up their toad and putting the gorilla behind the wheel.

Ron and Donna are really a fun couple to spend time with.

Tom and Margi said:
It's amazing how many memories we've all shared over the years.  To you forum newbies:  it's only just begun!  I envy your starting out on this wonderful adventure!  I would do every single minute all over again in a heartbeat.  :)

Margi

I don't think I will ever forget an evening in ID with Tom and you when Ron and I were talking about boyhood pranks with the railroad, one in WY and the other in MT.  :)

Jim, oh yes!  When we were driving through Green River WY it reminded Ron of all kinds of childhood hijinks when they lived there.  It's probably a miracle he survived childhood!  One time they were climbing in the hills near town and he pointed out the box canyon he dropped down into and then couldn't get out.  And he loves trains!

Lorna, thanks for the kind invite.  If we're both there at the same time, of course we'd love it.  The last time we tried to get together you went off on a cruise to Alaska!  ::)  But Ned was a great guide in Milwaukee.  Seriously, we did miss you that time.

George, she did indeed return the motorhome to the bank.  They wouldn't negotiate and she didn't want it to just sit and rot.  Someone will get a nice motorhome that was well maintained up until Ron's stroke.  It also has good records.

ArdraF

Two of Ron's favorite stories were the railroad prank with grease and the cats in the ally near the Chinese restaurant.  :)

In May of 2001 we had the privilege of visiting Ron & Sam in Montana. George Foster always complained he never saw any wildlife while out west. Ron showed us herds of deer and antelope on one evening's drive. Here are two photos taken while we were there. Great memories.

Attachments

• DSCN0521.JPG
    DSCN0521.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN0517.JPG
    DSCN0517.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 44
Great photos Jim, thanks. Ron showed lots of folks the herds of deer, but we were there at the wrong time.

WOW! Was just reading the latest posts and catching up on the great photos. Thanks for the contributions.

Then a big surprise, Ron called me on Skype! As I am typing this I am chatting with him about when he worked in Australia for about a year. Talking about flying over the Ayers Rock and visiting Adelaide just for a few hours between flights.

Here are some snaps taken during the conversation, sorry for the poor quality. Ron is complaining about the poor network connection that stops him from getting into here and seeing what you are all up to.

He is looking forward to the flight to see the grandchildren and Texas but doesn't think he would like to live there, too many hurricanes and tornadoes LOL

"Be good to see those granddaughters again."

"Was beginning to wonder if they were going to get around to having any."

He especially asked me to "Please say Hi to all my friends in the Forum."

Enjoy!

Attachments

• ron-ru-skype-2012-05-26.jpg
    ron-ru-skype-2012-05-26.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 54
  • ron-ru-skype-2012-05-26-2.jpg
    ron-ru-skype-2012-05-26-2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 51
Ian,

Thanks for mentioning that Ron was on SKYPE.  I just got off after a nice discussion with him.  I will have to monitor more often as I had not been on SKYPE for at least 4 or 5 months.

It was good talking to him and he sounds much better than when I talked to him previously.

Yes Jim, we had quite a good chat even though at times there was some quiet times before he would respond. Was interesting as he was telling me about his time down this way and things they had seen.

Jim Godward said:
I don't think I will ever forget an evening in ID with Tom and you when Ron and I were talking about boyhood pranks with the railroad, one in WY and the other in MT.  :)

I remember that evening also.  What a couple of juvenile delinquents!  ;D  Luckily, you both turned out OK.  ha ha

Margi

Tom and Margi said:
I remember that evening also.  What a couple of juvenile delinquents!  ;D  Luckily, you both turned out OK.  ha ha

I think both Ron and I were pretty typical of the kids in our towns.  We did the fun stuff where no one got hurt, although I'm sure the railroads would not agree.  Some of the other stuff that went on was much worse, stolen cars, accidents while drinking - booze was easy to get, poaching game, drag racing, etc.

I'm not sure we turned out OK but at least we are relatively sane and law abiding!  :)

Jim Godward said:
I think both Ron and I were pretty typical of the kids in our towns.  We did the fun stuff where no one got hurt, although I'm sure the railroads would not agree.

I'll bet the cats wouldn't agree either :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom