Ron Ruward in hospital 6-3-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam just told me that Ron was moved to the rehab hospital in Billings on Friday.  It was a very long day because the ambulance got diverted first to Great Falls and then had to be cleaned before picking up Ron.  They finally arrived in Billings at 5:30 p.m. and everyone was tired.  She did get a chance to talk with the primary doctor who will head up his team.  It was shift change so she didn't get to meet most of the team who had gone for the weekend.  They'll be doing more tests and probably won't have him fully evaluated until mid-week.  Once evaluated Ron could be there for one week or four weeks or who knows.  Their goal will be to get him to a point where he'll be able to take care of himself as soon as possible so he can go home.

Meanwhile, Ron is settling into his new digs.  He keeps telling Sam to bring him his own bed.  Guess he doesn't like theirs.  :eek:  He's taken to a solarium-type room for meals where he sits up to eat.  Apparently little Adele has a real hold over her grandpa.  The nurses grind his meds and put them in something like pudding.  While they were there he didn't want the last bite so Adele told him to open his mouth and take his medicine.  And he did!  Guess now we know how to maneuver him into doing things!  ;)

Steve and family left today.  They got some things done to help Sam, including mowing the grass.  Their friends in Lewistown are there to help her so that's good.  Sam said to tell everyone she's not doing email - just no time right now - and she also asked me to thank everyone.  She really appreciates the moral support.  At this point it's one day at a time.

ArdraF

I Talked to Sam after I found out he had been moved to Billings and plan to stop by to see him Tuesday on our way east depending on his schedule.  Here's hoping things work out but the Hospital schedule will determine what will be.  I understand Sam will still be at home getting things under control and will join him later in the week.  We will be sorry to miss her but things happen. 

Thanks for the update Ardra. Grandchildren sure do have a way of wrapping their grandparents around a little finger, and Adele is very special to Ron.

Thanks for the update, Ardra. Glad to hear Ron made the move and is improving. Hopefully his stay in Billings will be short and he gets home where his recovery is sure to speed up.

Wendy

I stopped by the hospital  in Billings today and saw Ron.  He seems to be doing as well as expected and was complaining about the hospital food, what's new, and the bed. Sam was not there and that seems to bother him but that should be solved in a day or so when she arrives to take charge.  We talked for about 30+ minutes and he sometimes has a problem with getting words out and/or thinking about what to say.  He is till Ron and can be very obstinate about eating or whatever if he wants to.  He seems to have good rapport with the staff and they really seem to care for him.  This is similar to a previous experience with the hospital when my brother had a bypass there. 

Thanks  for the report Jim. I sure wish we lived closer so we could visit.

Ron from Big D said:
Tlhanks for the update Jim.  Sure hope he will be out and about in a reasonable time.

For the sake of Sam and the hospital folks. ;D

davemittan said:
And someone needs to put on a cowboy hat and put it in their avatar.  (Not me - I'd look too dorky)How about it, Lou?   ;D
Get well soon Ron.
Well how about this Dave? It's probably close enough for a cowboy hat, been through the bush a few times ;)

I don't care about looking dorky, I just want the best for Ron and Sam. No matter how hard we try, you just cant beat an original ;)

Ardra, please pass on my regards to Ron and Sam, hope things keep improving for them.

Attachments

• 090618-0221-1023-cowboy.jpg
    090618-0221-1023-cowboy.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 23
Hey Ian -

Nope - you don't even come close to dorky.

Don't let Ron see that pic - he'll want your hat!

Dave, I've got news for him, no way mate. That hat's been through too much with me over the years, goes all sorts of places, in all sorts of weathers too. I even took it with me to Japan last year, nobody mistook me for anything other than an Aussie ;)

PS: I just put that pic up as my avatar so he can see it when he gets back.

I had an opportunity to phone Sam this morning to get an update.  As in  most medical conditions there are always issues that come up.  Due to  some complications Ron will be transported back to Lewistown hospital and not begin his physical therapy until a hemotoma on his back clears up.  This problem is affecting his right leg and it is his left leg that needs therapy. So until he has  some leg strength therapy will need to wait. Then he will go back to Billings for physical therapy.  He has shown much  progress from the initial stroke but there will be a ways to go.

I got permission from Sam to give you their snail mail address for cards or letters.  Just send staff a PM  and request the address.  She does not do email or internet so the support would be welcomed.  I will also print all Forum messages reported here and mail them to her so he can have a good laugh and a good read!  She said his spirits are good.  Her family has all gone home and she has had  a couple of days to just recover from exhaustion of the whole process.

Betty

Thanks for the update, Betty. Sorry to hear about the setback but hope things turn back around and he gets back to improving.

Wendy

Jim and Betty,

Thanks for filling us in on the last couple of days.  Wow, how things can change!  Ron returning to Lewistown will be easier on Sam and lessen Ron's concern about her not being there.  Sure hope though that the hematoma clears up quickly so they can get to that left leg.

ArdraF

Ron was returned to Lewistown on Thursday (June 18th) and is at a nursing home there.  Sam said he was really tired after another long day and slept a lot today (Friday).

I learned more about the hematoma on his back.  Ron apparently had it before going to Billings but it wasn't until he complained about pain in his back after arriving in Billings that anyone really paid attention to it.  The hematoma is pressing on nerves near the spine which has caused back pain (not the bed after all!) and the weakness in his right leg.  Before leaving Billings they did a CAT scan.  The hematoma seems to be a bit smaller and is causing a little less pain.  As soon as that problem is solved and his right leg is strong enough to walk he'll return to Billings for the intensive therapy he needs for the left leg.

Meanwhile Sam is able to visit every day now.  Her concern is that Ron isn't eating much so the doctor said she can bring foods he likes as long as they're soft and easy to swallow.  Unfortunately he said he wants a pastrami sandwich and bread is not easy enough to swallow so that won't work.  She may try some spaghetti and see how that goes.  It's still one day at a time....

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Unfortunately he said he wants a pastrami sandwich and bread is not easy enough to swallow so that won't work. 

That's the Ron we all know and love!  Keep fighting, Ron.  We're all pulling for you.  :D

Margi

Wow.  Just found out about this today from a post on the Rally forum.  We hope and pray that recovery continues to be sure and steady.

Wendy said:
And let's not forget his lack of "affinity" for Affinity Group  ;D 
Wendy

And his love for Apple computers and Gulf Stream RVs!  ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom