Ron Ruward in hospital 6-3-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for asking Carson, and I'm also curious. Ardra was the appointed (?) person for communications, and hopefully she'll see your message.

We've on the road and in still another campground with lousy cell but able to use the aircard (barely - a post just took 5 minutes).  After we get settled tomorrow I will hopefully be in a better place and can call Sam...been thinking about them too!

ArdraF

All,

Finally talked with Sam over the weekend.  She says Ron is about the same, although he's talking better.  The physical therapist told her she feels a little muscle contraction when they move his left leg (the most affected side).  Apparently they pick him up with some kind of a hoist to get him upright.  Then his feet are put into a type of shoe and they get his legs moving back and forth.  They also help him stand upright with what she called a tilt board so his legs move better when he can stand taller.  He goes to the dining room for meals and eats regular food now, but not enough so they're trying to improve his appetite.  They're doing another ultrasound of his back to see what's going on with the hematoma and she'll probably get those results about mid-week.  He still has pain in his leg, but it's not constant.  It seems to happen when one leg "flops" to the side.

Sam says it's still one day at a time so keep those good thoughts flowing in their directions.

ArdraF

Thanks for the update Ardra. Sounds like some positive improvement, but Ron still has a long way to go.

Yes, Tom, I'm afraid he does.  Not a fun time for either of them....

ArdraF

Howdy, Ardra.

Thank you so much for the update on Ron. It is very much appreciated.

Regards,
Jack and Liz

It's now the 11th here, soon enough will be over that way too. Just wondering if there has been any more updates on Ron, Sam and family.
Ardra, if you get a chance could you please pass my regards onto them? I cant do much to help them from way down under but I'm sending them best wishes for a positive outcome from all of this.

Ian and all,

I've tried to keep Sam informed of all the people who are sending good wishes their way, and your name was on the list.  I wanted to call her this weekend, but we're in still another campground with zilch cell phone service.  We're in line-of-sight of two huge antennas on a nearby hill but they must not be serving us.  Last night we had to drive out to a nearby hill to call my cousins so we could make arrangements to meet today.  We did luck out and are in one of the best campground sites for both satellite TV and the campground's free wifi, so it's not quite one of Terry's proverbial "hell holes."  Will call Sam in a couple of days when we get to a better place.  I wish Sam used email more but this isn't the time to push her on it.  She knows we all care and are sending good wishes their way.  Can't do much more than that until we see her....  Do keep sending cards she can show to Ron.  I know that's great moral support for them both.

ArdraF

Ian, actually we've stayed here before and it's a nice setting as long as you're not electronically challenged.  Some people are up in the trees in lovely sites and probably don't miss their satellite TV and such one bit.  ::)

ArdraF

Ian, nah.  Not a photo.  We're already gone from there and in a new state!  ;)  It's in western Pennsylvania and in a pretty area, but it's for people who want to escape from phones for a few days!  ::)

ArdraF

Update on Ron.  Sam said he seems to be improving very, very slowly.  When they did the ultrasound for his hematoma, they also took an x-ray of Ron's lung and the pneumonia is now totally gone, so that's good.  Sam hasn't heard anything yet about the hematoma, so that's still a big question mark.  She hopes to see the doctor this week to learn more about that.  Initially they thought it might have been caused by the blood thinners.  Ron still can't sit up for long periods because that causes the leg pain.  It's almost beginning to sound like sciatica and the nurses have asked her if he ever had an injury that might cause it.  He hasn't as far as she knows.  Ron gets physical therapy twice a day.  It includes a a tilt table where they get him upright and moving.  Also, his memory seems pretty good.  Today Ron asked Sam what day it was and she told him July 13th.  He thought for a moment and said, "Tomorrow's your birthday."  He remembered!  Heck, most guys are lucky to remember their own birthdays, much less their wife's!  :D  Aside from not being able to walk, his biggest problem seems to be food intake.  He needs to eat more but nothing appeals to him, including what used to be his favorite foods.  We all know Ron loves his meat, but even that isn't very exciting these days.  He did enjoy some peaches, watermelon, and bean soup today.  Just one of Sam's chocolate chip cookies seems to be all he wants and when Ron doesn't want some of Sam's homemade goodies, we know that's not normal!

ArdraF

Thanks for the update Ardra. Small but positive steps it seems.

Excrutiatingly slow progress, but progress is progress and is very encouraging.  Our thoughts and prayers are with Ron and Sam.  We're pulling for you!  Thanks, Ardra, for the updates.

Margi

We arrived in Lewistown this afternoon.  It was good to give Sam real hugs instead of cyber hugs.

We saw Ron this afternoon.  Sam says there's a big improvement from one month ago.  He's got movement on the right side, but very little on the left.  He's back on blood thinners which they hope will dissolve the hematoma which is near the groin, not the back.  That's why he gets pain in the right leg.  The hematoma may be pressing a nerve and he's to see a neurologist in early Sept.  The therapists are with him each day but they're spread pretty thin so if the hematoma disappears they'll take him back to the intensive therapy place in Billings.  He really needs to go there.

Ron still has his sense of humor and cracks jokes.  He's also talking relatively well and goes to the dining room for meals.  Ron says he wants to go home but that won't happen for a while because he still needs a sling-type device to be moved to the wheelchair, etc.  He needs to be able to walk before going home.  Overall, he's making progress but still has a long way to go.

We tried to bring both Ron and Sam up-to-date on framily.  Sam is grateful to all of you who have called and sent cards and thanks everyone for the prayers and good wishes.

ArdraF

We really appreciate the update Ardra, Please let Ron & Sam know we're continually thinking of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom