Adventurer Hybrid on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olive

I read this today from RVEnews.  A family will be traveling in the hybrid for the RVIA promoting RVing, going green, and his new book.  I thought the Adventurer looked impressive when they introduced it last December. Looking forward to seeing not just pictures of it.

rvEnews RVIA article

Google has a few entries... here is one from Winnebago

I wonder how many pounds of batteries it would have to carry.

I am skeptical.  carson

Carson - thanks for the link!  It sounds more like a concept vehicle and might not be practical, but attaboys to Winnebago Industries for pushing the envelope  :)

I'm a proud tree-hugger and anxiously await the day that there's a pratical hybrid motorhome. But a 7% increase in mileage equates to about a half to two-thirds MPG increase over the 8-9 MPG I get now. I know it's a first step and I'll watch anxiously for improvements.

Wendy

7%, heck you can get that with a Banks kit.

I am also anxious to see a hybrid.  I am afraid many of the early ones will have very little gain, but you have to start somewhere.

I should have added more info to the first post. Sorry :-[  Thanks for the link Carson.

I agree 7% increase isn't much but is a good start for pushing a 35' box down the road. Throughout the years Winnie has been known to go for the tried and true so it is great for them to take the lead in this. 

Sorry, I don't get it.  Hybrid technology works on short stop and go trips. Once you are up to a sustained speed of 30+ MPH most of them are pure gas engines.  I get better highway mileage in my Honda Fit then the Toyota Hybrid. It is only in the city that it beats me, so how does this carry over to RVing? The Freight Liner Chassis was developed for buses and that makes sense, slower speeds and lots of urban stop and go.

I agree...doesn't seem like a Hybrid is a applicable concept for an over the road large vehicle.  I would LOVE to see someone experiment with a diesel electric or gas electric drivetrain however, similar to what locomotives use.  A high efficiency engine, or maybe even a small microturbine to make electricity to run electric drive motors at each wheel.  Limited battery storage would allow for some power storage and braking energy recovery but no battery only driving since that would require too much battery weight.  I am betting you could see a 20-30% efficiency bump with this type of set up.

Call me a skeptic. Where do all the used batteries go when the hybrid needs new cells? What will be the energy cost of recycling the batteries? When I pull out from a stop, with my 20K plus motorhome, pulling a 3,000 lb car, will the hybrid engine be able to handle the load, or will I just always be using the gas engine, and carry the extra weight for show?
It's not that I don't want to help the planet. I always take pictures and leave only footprints. I always leave my spot cleaner than when I came.
But I truly question the ability of the hybrid vehicle to satisfy the needs of the RV community.

Christian and Gary,  I am no ECO-engineer nor a government-engineer. Something tells me there is something terribly wrong with all this conservation talk.

I will only use numbers that I can't substantiate. A gas/diesel compression engine is probably in the neighborhood of 70% efficiency in regards to fuel versus HP power output.

If you have a 10 ton RV +/- it takes x amount of horse power to keep you going. If you went to engine/generator/motor (like a locomotive), where does the power come from?

Between the engine and the generator there is a loss in power. From the generator to the drive-train motor there is an efficiency loss. There is no way to amplify power from the original source, the engine. Someone tell me where the savings are going to come from.

If you say, the batteries will take care of that...well, where does their power come from? Batteries don't generate power, they just store energy. Charging them at home will raise your home power bill; on the road...who pays. Charging them while driving uses engine power.
  Who was it that said that energy cannot be created or destroyed, just changed.

The cost off batteries, their weight and their replacements in time, will negate any savings over time.

I am just rambling here, can someone explain why hybrids save money?

carson FL

The main argument for hybrids is NOT that they save money but that they save fossil fuels which are in limited supply and most of which come from countries that hate our guts.

Wendy

Forgetting that the electricity that powers those hybrids mostly comes from fossil fuel fired power plants.

I thought the batteries recharged while the gas engine was running. And what about dams? And nuclear power plants? Those aren't powered by fossil fuel.

My understanding is that the fuel savings in a hybrid come from recovery/storage of the braking energy which is normally lost to heat in a conventional vehicle.

That maybe offsets the fossil fuel energy used in manufacturing the batteries that have to be replaced periodically.  I have never seen any valid analysis that shows a significant savings of fossil fuels or overall energy consumption in the use of a hybrid vehicle.

Now build a small nuclear powered car and I'll be in line with a down payment :)

Don't have any numbers, and I'm not up on current (no pun) technology, but regenerative braking has been around for many years and is essentially "free" energy that would otherwise be wasted.

One version I worked on back in the 60's allowed the controlled lowering of the booms on dockside cranes similar to these; Mechanical brakes would burn out attempting to do the same job. The same technology was also used to brake the diesel electric locomotives I worked on in the same time frame, and I believe is used on the railroads today.

I'm with yoy Ned, Nuke powered!  Bet that will keep folks from tailgating.

Oh, I read in another thread we are wasting billions of gallon by driving with our DRL's.

So, solar powered DRL's next on my list.

[quote author=Wendy]I thought the batteries recharged while the gas engine was running.[/quote]

That takes incremental energy to drive the alternator, which ultimately is provided by the engine, and fueled from the gas tank. Kinda like turning on the A/C in the car - it takes a few more HP to run it.

carson said:
Christian and Gary,  I am no ECO-engineer nor a government-engineer. Something tells me there is something terribly wrong with all this conservation talk.

I will only use numbers that I can't substantiate. A gas/diesel compression engine is probably in the neighborhood of 70% efficiency in regards to fuel versus HP power output.

If you have a 10 ton RV +/- it takes x amount of horse power to keep you going. If you went to engine/generator/motor (like a locomotive), where does the power come from?

Between the engine and the generator there is a loss in power. From the generator to the drive-train motor there is an efficiency loss. There is no way to amplify power from the original source, the engine. Someone tell me where the savings are going to come from.

If you say, the batteries will take care of that...well, where does their power come from? Batteries don't generate power, they just store energy. Charging them at home will raise your home power bill; on the road...who pays. Charging them while driving uses engine power.
   Who was it that said that energy cannot be created or destroyed, just changed.

The cost off batteries, their weight and their replacements in time, will negate any savings over time.

I am just rambling here, can someone explain why hybrids save money?

carson FL

Ok, you make many good points... where to start...

First, an internal combustion engine in a car/truck/motorhome is at best, about 20% efficient at turning chemical energy from fuel into mechanical propulsion.  Furthermore, most combustion engines are "most" efficient at converting chemical energy into mechanical energy at or about their horsepower peak.  Unfortunatly, most driving does not occur at that engine rpm.  Most of the time, particularly when you are on the highway, an engine is at partial throttle and is even less efficient (let's say 15% for simplicity sake). 

Hybrid: A hybrid has the same basic limitation except a) it uses stored electric power for added propulsion so the combustion engine can be smaller b) said engine will run closer to its peak efficiency more of the time, and c) recaptured kinetic energy from regenerative braking reuses "free" energy.  As many have mentioned, this technology works best when regenerative energy can be captured from braking... otherwise, they are using engine power just like any other car, albeit a generally smaller more efficient engine.  Clearly the best application is for city/stop and go use.

Diesel or Gas-Electric Propulsion: A diesel electric propulsion system (or gas electric) uses a smaller combustion engine to generate electricity and only electricity propels the car.  The engines in these designs are more efficient because the ONLY have to run at their peak efficiency and can be designed to be very efficient at one RPM.  They generate power to propel the car and any remaining power is used to charge batteries, which in turn help propel the vehicle when more power than is available from the engine is needed.  In this application, the engine can approach 27-28% efficient overall and is much better for over the road (or rail) application.  This doesn't sound like much, but 8-10% increase over 20% is a net gain of 50% overall...a huge net gain.  The Chevy Volt, if it ever gets built, is designed on this concept.

Trolley Assist:  A concept that I think merits consideration is the use of "trolley assist" for over the road vehicles.  If we were to introduce an electric propulsion system as discussed above, you can then consider pulling power from an embedded rail system or overhead wire system, similar to an electric rail system as used in most subways and many east coast amtrac trains.  Of course, using power from a rail or wire would introduce the question of "who would pay", which would have to be evaluated, but could be easily overcome by using electronic tolling similar to the RFID technology used in EZPass toll tags.  To your question about the efficiency of grid-generated power vs. a vehicle...grid power is VASTLY more efficient from a thermodynamic and emissions perspective.  Your average coal-fired power plant is roughly 35% efficient at converting chemical energy into electrical energy, a gas-fired power plant (combined cycle) can approach 45 -48% efficient.  On top of that you have about 22% of power in the U.S. coming from Nuclear, 3% from wind, 10-15% from Hydro, etc.  Overall, the grid can make power more efficiently than your car by a health margin due to economies of scale. 

Anyway, now I am rambling.  There are no perfect answers, but there are certainly some great ideas that merit consideration as we look for ways to reduce our oil habit...whether you only care for national security reasons or for environmental reasons, or both, at the end of the day, we need to start doing things differently and start thinking "big" when it comes to changes in our energy infrastructure.

Back
Top Bottom