Walmart Battery Technical Warranty Issue/Customers Beware!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pubtym

The simple, long standing, and accurate technical assessments of your current battery's performance remain: electrolyte specific gravity readings, battery load test, and static battery voltage readings. After having seen weak to failing test results from one or more of these three most accepted technical assessments on your battery, have you attempted to return a within warranty EverStart Battery at your local Walmart within the past year?

Using any or all of the above accepted basic battery assessments, were you technically challenged by the trained (?) counter service technician (?) and possibly verbally policy defeated in your attempt to warranty replace the battery at Wal-Mart by:

a. The Service Departments ?posted? (hand typed..no company logo.. gotcha) policy.
b. The streamlined gee whiz counter person's results of their Department's Midtronics PowerLogic PLC-900.
c. The stream lined gee whiz counter person's results of their Department's hand held Midtronics EXP ? 800

Using an internet search engine, I found other customer threads on the anomalies of this current situation at Wal-Mart?s Auto Service Department. ::)

Like a WWII GI running up Omaha Beach, I ran head on into this situation. I hope this thread increases your awareness of what you might encounter. :eek:

First, do you have recent technically based Wal-Mart battery return story?  Please share..

More to follow on mine..

Charlie

Maybe my local Wal-mart is slow to adopt new battery testing technology, but I returned an EverStart automobile battery, under warranty, just a few weeks ago with no problem.  I will admit that the returned battery's failure was easily demonstrated, although Wal-Mart made no effort or request to test it.

They checked the dates on the parer work and applied the refund, no problem.

BTW - I did not process the exchange through the auto service dept.  I simply purchased a new battery and presented my claim when I returned the failed battery for the core charge refund.

Like Lou, I'm surprised you ran into a test at all. I guess that probably happens if they have an actual auto service shop and you deal at that counter. In most, you just take the battery in and they swap it if the paperwork is ok.

I have a related story about a deep cycle battery and a Carquest store. A friend bought the alleged deep cycle Group 27 battery at his favorite Carquest auto parts store and within 6 weeks of constant deep cycle use it wouldn't run a constant 20A load for more than 25-30 minutes. He asked me for help in obtaining a usable battery and so I first took a run at returning the one he had bought. As I expected, the trotted out their portable load tester and the battery passed the test and it also tested for correct voltage when unloaded. Since I had been present every day during its use, I knew it couldn't perform as a deep cycle under a constant load, but there was no getting around the warranty specs. Arguing that it failed on a deep cycle load did no good. So, I went down the street to the professional battery shop and got him a Trojan 27AGM that is till in use two years later. My friend put the alleged deep cycle in his  pick up truck and it has been working fine too, doing what it was REALLY designed to do.

Lou (onaquest) said:
Maybe my local Wal-mart is slow to adopt new battery testing technology, but I returned an EverStart automobile battery, under warranty, just a few weeks ago with no problem.  I will admit that the returned battery's failure was easily demonstrated, although Wal-Mart made no effort or request to test it.

They checked the dates on the parer work and applied the refund, no problem.

BTW - I did not process the exchange through the auto service dept.  I simply purchased a new battery and presented my claim when I returned the failed battery for the core charge refund.

Sioux Falls, SD East Walmart Store current policy for auto department...all battery returns must first be tested on the Midtronics PowerLogic PLC-900. Auto Service Department had already checked my paperwork and saw battery was within warranty. Auto Service department must test and then refer (if any) batteries to main Custormer Service for paper credits etc. If customer disputes "good battery" reading from Midtronics PowerLogic PLC-900, from under the store counter, they pull out their second technical weapon..the Midtronics EXP-800..

Charlie

Tech talk homework assignment. ;D

Go to Midtronics home page and to both their PLC-900 and EXP-800 Operator Manuals. Read carefully...
http://www.midtronics.com/home/products/transportation/transportation.aspx

1. What test anomalies and potential reading errors can you find?  ???

2. What are the self-test procedures on the equipment?  ???

3. What are the published basic maintenance notes on this equipment and the consequences of lack of maintenance?  ???

4. What are the factory recommended recalibration recommendations? How does a typical shop technician know the equipment should be returned to factory to be recalibrated? ???

5. What handling warnings exist relating to damage of the equipment's components.. to affect the accuracy of the test result outcome? ???

Charlie

Charlie, I certainly hope these are rhetorical questions, because I don't accept homework assignments or take tests on weekends ;) :D

Seriously, I think you are asking the wrong folks.  Why not ask these questions of either Wal-mart or Midtronics and report your findings ???

Lou (onaquest) said:
Charlie, I certainly hope these are rhetorical questions, because I don't accept homework assignments or take tests on weekends ;) :D

Seriously, I think you are asking the wrong folks.  Why not ask these questions of either Wal-mart or Midtronics and report your findings ???

Lou, sorry to mislead you.

My point is, and my summarized findings are, yesterday, I spent a couple of hours researching all these questions by reading Midtronics Manuals on each piece referenced here. I know the answers and they are, in my opinion,  not in our favor as customers. The odds are, in my opinion, stacked against us by Walmart Management who bought the items for store technician use. I sincerely doubt whether the store counter technician has read..or really understands the manuals and the equipment's limitations.  The Assistant Manager of the Auto Department said he had never in four years had a customer come in claiming the battery was bad based on the specific gravity results I demonstrated before him...then using another department off-the-shelf specific gravity tester...showed him same results again....which he ran the test,  and read me the same results from the item's instructions. ::)

I requested the Walmart Regional Marketing Manager to contact me. The storewide assistant manager took my name and phone number for the call back. No calls from that individual yet. Reading the other similar feedback postings on this same Walmart issue..I suspect I won't get contacted...and I believe they know they have smelly water here with use of this equipment and its limitations with store technicians. I believe they know they can buffaloe most non technical folks with these geewhiz readings and have them walk out the store with a "good" bad battery. Thus, the purpose of this informative thread.:(

Charlie

My comment.. I understand the whole situation. Why buy a battery in a Big Box Store. Just to save a couple of bucks? My suggestion is to select a brand of battery that you know is universally accepted. Then go to your friendly automotive garage guy, who needs all the help he can get to keeping his business growing. He/she will appreciate it and consider you a good customer...that pays off in the long term.

For a good battery, that will last for many years, why shop for a bargain. Batteries in the long term cost you pennies per day.

My last battery change, from a cheapy, took me 1 secand to make up my mind. My friendly mechanic had a quality battery in stock. he asked whether I wanted an estimate...I said no way, please put it in and get me back on the road. I wasn't desperate just wanted to support my local repair shop. He's looking after all my cars, RV..Minivan..Jeep and only does what I tell him to do.  Have saved a bundle over the years, and he is very happy... so am I.

Rambling again,, carson FL

carson said:
My comment.. I understand the whole situation. Why buy a battery in a Big Box Store. Just to save a couple of bucks? My suggestion is to select a brand of battery that you know is universally accepted. Then go to your friendly automotive garage guy, who needs all the help he can get to keeping his business growing. He/she will appreciate it and consider you a good customer...that pays off in the long term.

For a good battery, that will last for many years, why shop for a bargain. Batteries in the long term cost you pennies per day.

My last battery change, from a cheapy, took me 1 secand to make up my mind. My friendly mechanic had a quality battery in stock. he asked whether I wanted an estimate...I said no way, please put it in and get me back on the road. I wasn't desperate just wanted to support my local repair shop. He's looking after all my cars, RV..Minivan..Jeep and only does what I tell him to do.  Have saved a bundle over the years, and he is very happy... so am I.

Rambling again,, carson FL

Carson, I understand your rambling :)

I estimate 80% of my buys are from favorable product research posted from a leading consumer report publication. What is not covered in that publication are the battery return issues at the local Walmart Auto Store. ::)

So, Walmart Battery Buyer Beware! :eek:

Charlie

Sounds to me that you are on an anti-Walmart kick.. Leave it there, don't want to get into that argument.

My post stands. Battery cost should be the least of your worries. Just buy the best.

"Friendly carson FL"

I always buy batteries from stores that sell mostly, if not only, batteries.  I've never had a problem doing that.

I returned a Everstart Deep cycle battery from my bassboat this AM.  The battery was purchased on 09/08. Took about two minutes to test. DEAD.  Brought me out a new one. No Charge.  I was in and out in about 10 minutes.  I have bought batteries for my PU, MH and Boat at Wilmar, and never had a problem .  On of the reasons I buy batteries fron Walmart is if I have a problem I can exchange them any where in the US or Canada.

Tony..

Charlie, you just might be putting more thought into this situation than even Wal-mart did.

I suspect some salesman approached a Wal-mart buyer with the idea of saving money by providing a surefire way of determining that a returned battery was "really bad", thus saving Wal-mart the cost of replacing a functionally good battery.  If you've ever been in Retail, (especially, owned your own business) you know this happens all the time. 

The buyer probably got a bonus and truly thought he had done both the Store and the customer a big favor.  I would be reluctant to believe that the thought or intent was to refuse replacement of truly defective merchandise.  The result, may be just that, however.

I can almost assure you that Wal-mart management does not know, or care, any more about batteries than that returns clerk you mentioned.  Their focus is bottom line, and understandably so.  You can't blame them for wanting merchandise that left via the front door to stay gone. 

All,

Yes, it might appear on this thread I'm anti-Walmart....but I do a lot of good shopping at Walmart. I'm not anti-Walmart...I'm anti-goat rope when it comes to straight forward and reasonable warranty return policies. What I experienced was technological muddy water on a battery return. I happened to know enough battery test basics to wave the "goofey " flag.

This thread was started to inform others of what I experienced this week...and what others on other forums have posted about same issue.
If you are happy with returns you have had on batteries from Walmart..I'm happy for you. If you happen to face what I did, hopefully you'll recognize it and stick to your guns.

End of story. I left the store with a a warranty credit and new "good" battery.. eventhough all the geewhiz Midtronics stuff said my bad battery was good..

New battery is now in motor home.   No more Walmart engine battery problem....till next year...maybe...but I will buy next battery elsewhere.

"Welcome to Walmart"...see you around the friendly Sioux Falls East Walmart Auto Service Department! ;D

Charlie

Charlie,

It might be worth a call to your state's Bureau of Automotive Repairs. The California BAR caught a large retail chain with their pants down some years ago; Anyone that took a vehicle to their automotive department was sold a battery, most unnecessarily. It cost the retailer big time in fines and training programs, and they were lucky not to lose their license to operate in CA.

The BAR will put a known good (or rigged) vehicle (or maybe a good battery) into the store and check them out to see if they're legit. If he store and the test are legit, no harm done.

When a Honda dealership tried to sell my wife unnecessary repairs, I called the CA BAR, asked to remain anonymous, and was told "we'll put a car into that dealership". I didn't follow up, so don't know the outcome.

Tom said:
Charlie,

It might be worth a call to your state's Bureau of Automotive Repairs. The California BAR caught a large retail chain with their pants down some years ago; Anyone that took a vehicle to their automotive department was sold a battery, most unnecessarily. It cost the retailer big time in fines and training programs, and they were lucky not to lose their license to operate in CA.

The BAR will put a known good (or rigged) vehicle (or maybe a good battery) into the store and check them out to see if they're legit. If he store and the test are legit, no harm done.

When a Honda dealership tried to sell my wife unnecessary repairs, I called the CA BAR, asked to remain anonymous, and was told "we'll put a car into that dealership". I didn't follow up, so don't know the outcome.

Thanks for input Tom,

SD BAR is on my agenda. I need to visit a few more regional Walmart Auto Service Departments first..need to see what's up.. Could be a regional situation.

Charlie

I bought my motorhome last December and the dealer installed four new golf cart 6v batteries from Sam's Club in San Antonio Texas. They never really held a charge. In April I went to a Sam's Club in Las Vegas with no receipt and took all four in to the auto department. With no argument at all and no testing, they took my word for it that they were bad and replaced all four with four new ones. They gave me a receipt for the new ones and told me they were 100% warrantied for the next year, even though the ones I turned in were only warrantied for 6 months. I will never buy batteries anywhere else.

I need to visit a few more regional Walmart Auto Service Departments first..need to see what's up.. Could be a regional situation.

Let BAR take care of that. In the CA case I mentioned, IIRC they put 117 cars into 112 stores. They have the resources to cover far more stores than you or I.

Tom said:
Let BAR take care of that. In the CA case I mentioned, IIRC they put 117 cars into 112 stores. They have the resources to cover far more stores than you or I.

OK...good point.

Charlie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom