Replacement shower door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Our shower door is hinged approx 20% of the distance from one end, so the full width of the relatively narrow door is not available  and, of course, the door can't swing open all the way. This would have been a challenge 50 lbs ago, but now I have to squeeze into the shower. When the metal frame is cold I get a big surprise.

Has anyone been able to move the hinge point, or has anyone replaced the entire door and surrounding glass with something that provides a larger entry? The hallway in our coach is wide enough to accomodate a wider door or wider swinging door.

Tom,

The shower door in our Dutch Star is a regular one just like in the house.  I would go to a fixture supply store, plumbing shop, Home Depot etc., and see what they have and have it installed.  I no longer do that kind of stuff!!  VBG

Thanks for the suggestion Jim. I'll check it out, but assumed the one in the coach was smaller than domestic ones.

Tom,

Is the hinge a pivot type at the top and bottom of the door?  Would the trim on either the door or the shower be affected by modifying the hinge point?

If a modification is an option, you may want to check the yellow pages for glass companies who build custom shower enclosures in homes.  They seem to have a variety of hardware to assemble the shower stall and to attach the doors.

One option might be to replace the pivot (if that's how yours is made) with hinges installed on the edge of the shower door.  These glass shower guys may be able to do the mod or sell you the parts.

Thanks Steve. I hadn't noticed the detail of the hinge until your message forced me to go look at it  ;D  I've attached a photo of the top hinge. The bottom one looks the same. Good suggestion to talk to a glass shop.

Attachments

• shower_door.jpg
    shower_door.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 30
After looking at your photo I reasoned that must have been designed by a very skinny engineer with little experience.  Obviously the designing engineer has no knowledge of being horizontal challenged. ;D ;D ;D

Would Atkins or South Beach be easier than redisigning the hinge. ;D ??? ???

Ron said:
Would Atkins or South Beach be easier than redisigning the hinge. ;D ??? ???

LOL Ron, I thought of that, but we'd be home before I could fit through the door.

Ron

Joking aside, a "detour" to Sam's Camp actually crossed my mind, but we need to get home to take care of some stuff.

Your retired so come on over to Sam's Camp that other stuff can wait.  That pad is just setting there empty.  Apples on the tree so Apple pie is a good possibility.

All joking aside come to Sam's Camp.

We should be in the area in the next couple of weeks. ?Save me a slice of apple pie, I'll bring the cheddar :)

Back
Top Bottom