Full Timing in a 1997 Teton in NJ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WinstonsMom

I am a wannabe full timer considering what fifth wheeler I should buy.  My needs are different than most full-timers because I will be mostly stationary.  I plan on living in a fifth wheeler as a way to save money for about 5 years, maybe less.  Then I want to buy a shore condo that I can rent out in the summer and I will be living in the fifth wheeler for summers only and may do some traveling too.  Anyway, that's the plan for now  ;)

Question...I am considering a 1997 Teton San Gabriel Grand III, which is in my price range (under $30,000).  It's 40' with 3 slides.  My concern is it withstanding a south Jersey winter.  Winters here are relatively mild but I don't want to make a mistake either.  I have read a lot on the various forums and websites regarding skirting, using light bulbs where the tanks are, small fans circulating air, using electric heaters, insulating the water and sewar lines, etc.  Does anyone know if the insulation would be adequate in this fifth wheeler?  I'm not sure if it has double pane windows.  Summer heat is a concern too, maintaining a cool temperature inside.  Any experiences or advice?  I'm having a hard time finding info online for the same make/model.  I have already ordered a report from RV Consumer Group.

We had a Teton before we got our motor home. They are a great unit. The Tetons are considered to be one of the best cold weather 5ers made. I suggest that you get the serial number off the trailer and call Teton in Casper, WY. They should be able to tell you if that unit had been equipped with their premium "Arctic Insulation" package and dual pane windows.

If you get it and really want to help keep warm and do not plan to move it over the winter, get a skirt to prevent the cold wind from blowing under it.

Beware!! The Tetons a HEAVY units. Make sure the the truck you plan to pull it with has the CGVW rating + 15% to handle that rig.

Chet18013

Back
Top Bottom