water heater switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

82corvette

I want to put a levton pilot light switch on my water heater. I only have 2 wires & think I need a neutral. Wher do I hook up the neutral to make the pilot light work? ???

What make/model water heater do you have? If it is an RV water heater it will almost certainly be a 12V and not have a neutral.

If this is for the 110v part of the rv water heater you will need a neutral to get the light to work. you should probably replace the wire from the water heater with one that has 3 wires.

this diagram is for the light to be on when the heater is is that what you are looking for?

Attachments

• light1.JPG
    light1.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 13
Make sure the switch is for the 120v power itself and not a 12v switch that operates a relay. Mine is the 12v relay type.
Assuming it is a120v switch, then you can use any conveniently available neutral. If there is a 120v outlet nearby, there will be a neutral there and you can run a wire to it.

An electrical inspector would say it is a "poor practice" to use a neutral for the pilot light that is not directly associated with the circuit being switched, but it is not expressly forbidden in the electrical code as far as I can see. The neutrals are all tied together at the load center anyway.

Where to find a neutral

If the switch is working on 120 volts.. The breaker box, it's the bar with all the WHITE wires. or you can pick up the white wire at the load end too.

If 12 volt, the fuse block..  It is the bar with a whole bunch of wires on it.  Though this is a "Ground" not a Neutral

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claassen
Back
Top Bottom