Toad battery goes dead overnight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
The following was extracted from jaxbull's message here and re-posted for better exposure and possibe responses.

I do have a problem.  Which is why I'm here.  I was searching for info on my problem when I stumbled across your site and it looked worthwild to join.  I just need to know where to post the problem.  Here 'tis.  We have a Roadmaster Brakemaster 9100 braking system. We hook it up in the morning, then follow the Honda manual instructions for shifting through the geers ending in neutral and leaving it run in neurtal for 3 minutes.  All other systems are turned off: radio, wipers, lights, cruise control, etc.  When we disconnect in the evening and drive the car around there is no problem.  However, on occassion we pull into a RV campground, find a nice long spot and can pull in the entire rig AND car without unhooking.  The next morning we repeat the shifting ... idling the car in neurtal.  Agains everything seems fine.  But when we get to our destination on the 2nd evening, the car's battery will no longer start the car.

Welcome Jaxbull,

I'm not sure if you are saying this problem just developed or has been the case since inception.

If the problem just started, it may be an indication that your "toad's" battery needs attention or replacement.

Considering an otherwise "good" toad battery, here is a solution that some of us use in this situation Toad Charge.

PS - make sure that you are leaving the toad ignition key in the first position that will provide outlet power and unlock the steering.  The battery drain will be larger if left in the full on position.

We towed a Honda Accord for 8 years and never had a battery problem due to towing.  As Lou says, be sure the key is in the first position that unlocks the steering only, and turn off the radio and fan and any other items that are powered up in that key position.  The only item that should be powered when towing is the braking system.  You seem to be doing that part correctly.

Doing as above we could tow for several days with just running the Honda for a few minutes each morning to relube the transmission and never ran the battery down.  Get the battery load tested, it may be just dying.  Driving the car will charge the battery more than just idling for a few minutes too.

If you have to leave the key in the unlock position while towing, chances are there is an unknown load that is draining the battery while the key is in the unlock position. Next time you are towing, try removing the positive terminal lead from the battery just before you are ready to start out and leave it off while towing. When you get to your destination, re connect it and start the car to lubricate the transmission.  Do the same the next morning.

My Dodge Dakota has the same problem you describe, unless I disconnect the battery while we are towing. I found that disconnecting the battery eliminated the problem, so indeed there is some load while the key is in the unlock/ignition off position.

Chet18013

Of course, if you disconnect the battery completely, you'll lose any information stored in the radio and clock.

I wouldn't remove the positive battery cable but the negative instead.  That's standard procedure for disconnecting a battery and less chance of causing a short.

Does not the Roadmaster Brakemaster 9100 aux brake require 12v just like the Brake Buddy?

Our Acura MDX has the same problem.  After having it happen several times and not being able to figure out why it was happening, Jerry started pulling the electrical plug and taking the key out of the ignition.  Problem stopped.  Now we just turn the ignition off and remove the key and it's okay. When the ignition key is on Accessory the battery goes dead.  Take the key out and the problem should be solved.

ArdraF

If your tow bar needs power this does not work but our 2002 CRV would run the battery down after a couple of days of towing. I resolved this by removing the "MISC" fuse (IIRC #8) and the problem went away. As a permanent fix I installed a bypass around the fuse holder with an inline fuse and rocker switch on the lower panel out of sight. Had no more battery issues in five years of towing.

WE now have a 2008 CRV and the same thing applies except the "MISC" fuse is #20.

On our motor home pulling a 2002 Saturn, I had to pull a fuse to keep the battery from going down. I permanently fixed the problem by changing the 4-pin cable to a 6-pin cable and running a #10 gauge wire from the motor home coach batteries to the Saturn battery. I put fuses in both ends and a 50-amp diode in the motor home side of the circuit to prevent back feeding the motor home batteries from the Saturn battery. Now I can leave the car hooked up as long as I want and never worry about having the battery go down. BTW, the big drain on the battery is the Body Control Module which is activated when the ignition is in any position except OFF. There are also a couple of other circuits on that fuse, like the alarm system and remote key locks which must be activated at all times.

I may be to late to help, but here goes anyway.

I have the same problem on the second day if I don't disconnect and drive around for awhile.

I had an accessory disconnect switch installed, no help.

I put a solar panel on the dash no help, maybe it was not the right size.  It was advertised to charge RV/cars etc.

Run the engine:
When you stop for food, break, or an hour before you quite for the day.  I know i know they claim you should not tow with your engine running, however, i have had to do so when my remco pump stopped working.

I carry a battery charger/jumper, extension cord.  Provided you have a generator on you rig you can charge/jump you toad.  The charger has saved me many times.

Russ, WB3FQI/6

Our 2009 CR-V manual specifies a particular breaker to pull and warns that the battery may run down otherwise. We have had success towing a full day without pulling the fuse, and also on consecutive towing days once or twice.

I wonder whether there's an aftermarket switch that would plug into the breaker socket, with another socket on the switch to mount the breaker? The breaker in our CR-V is located in a very inconvenient place up under the left side of the dash. A switch would help a lot, but I'm reluctant to modify the vehicle's wiring because of warranty concerns.

My Remco transmission pump is wired directly to the tow vehicles battery.  I understand a product recently came out to charge the towed vehicles battery as you go down the road using the Mh alternator.

I have not researched the product yet.

Russ, WB3FQI/6

Back
Top Bottom