Water tastes like plastic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ruthandken CDN

I was wondering if it's normal for the water, when it is coming from a city water hookup to taste like plastic??  When we were parked in our driveway for the week, I had our water (using the white hose only) hooked up to my tap.  But the water, I noticed, especially in the bathroom, tasted like plastic.  No smell, just like a plastic container smells, the water tasted like that.  Is that okay, or can I do something about it?

If the water stays still in the garden hose for a little while, it will pick up a taste.  The plastic from the indoor plumbing does not, at least not in my house and trailer.

You could sanitize the hoses with bleach or vinegar. 

I personally prefer vinegar only because it's consumable and seem to work better at removing plastic smell from containers.

Try to use as 'short' a fill/connect hose as possible & TRY to keep it as much in the shade as possible. Probably won't cure it but it can't hurt.  When filling my water tank always let the water run til it's cold before I put it in my tank.  Might just be my imagination -- but it works for me.  Kate

Many folks have this plastic issue.. I don't.. Here is how I plumb it,  I am using White Potable Water hoses by the way (Just cause it's white don't mean potable)

Faucet--{optional regulator 1}------LONG WHITE HOSE---------------------------{Filter}--Short hose--{50PSI regulator}{City Water Inlet}

The current filter is a disposable activated charcoal job.. Works well.. I also use a Camco CX-90 when needed but it is a "High maintenance" unit.

Also, for drinking water I'm very likely to run it through a BRITA pitcher  This gives me another pass through charcoal and a few other filters, plus it tends to kill any nasty stuff that inhabits the water since it adds silver to the mix.

Yes, it's a white potable RV drinking hose.  Made sure of that.  There is a whole coach filter, which is brand new, I just put a new one in.  I do use a Brita in the kitchen, so never notice anything there.  It's just in the bathroom when I brush my teeth and then use the water to rinse teeth and/or take a pill that I notice that 'plastic' taste.  But will sanitize next time out...

I do use a Brita

Ruth,

Brita filters containe charcoal and remove taste and odor.  For RV use, since water borne illness is our greatest threat, you may consider upgrading your water filtration.

As you are in Canada, the best filtration you can get is made by .Rainfresh, a Toronto company whose products I have used in all our RV's since we began traveling.

In fact I triple filtered ou water, using whole house filters before the water gets ito the coach to protect the plumbing from sand, rust etc.  There are two whole house filters at the water inlet, one coarse filter, and a carbon filter.  Then at the kitchen sink, we use a Rainfresh "ceramic" filter which filters bacteris, viruses and cysts.

By doing it this way, water coming into the lavy sink is filtered for taste and odor, while the kitchen drinking water is filtered for organisms.

Canadian Tire has Rainfresh filters on sale every four to six weeks, so you can save some money by watching the weekly ads.

If you would like specific model information on Rainfresh filters, have a look at their website or let me know.

That Rainfresh looks really good.  Unfortunately, we would need someone to install for us, as MDH is not that handy.  But we do have the whole house filter and I will buy another filter that goes between the incoming hose and the RV itself and use that too.  That's about the best I can do, I'm afraid.  But thanks for the info.

I think it's the new hose,
But it may be the material it is made of i have 2 and one does the same thing so i don't use it unless i have to. i think one is plastic and the other is some kind of rubber-like material.

Back
Top Bottom