Driver's License and GVWR??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taoshum

Yes, I'm a newbie here...  I just looked at my DL which is issued in NM and it says I'm ok for vehicles up to 26,000 lb GVWR.  Out of curiosity, I looked up the Itasca GVWR and it's over 27,000 lb.  So, I called the MVD office and they said "don't worry about it as long as you are not doing something that requires a Commercial Driver's Lic, like driving an 18 wheeler I guess.  Some of the larger MHs have GVWRs over 30,000 lb so I'm wondering what other people do.  Is this an issue?

thanks, Gary :eek:

15 states require a Class B license if you drive a vehicle with over 26,000 gvwr. If you live in one of those states and drive one and don't have a class B you could get into a lot of trouble. If you have an accident and you do not have the proper license for the vehicle you are driving the insurance company can deny the claim. You are also in violation of the law and could either get fined, go to jail or get sued. The commercial aspect has nothing to do with it. You need to carefully check the laws of your state and get the proper license if that is what is required.

Gary:

NM makes it pretty clear that if you are not required to have a CDL and operate a vehicle over 26,000 pounds you need to have a Class E license. As Tom points out you are in trouble if you are stopped or involved in an accident.

Florida specifically exempts RV s from their general requirement to have a higher class license for non-commercial vehicles over 26,000 lbs. Perhaps New Mexico does something similar?

I'd call a different New Mexico DMV office and get another opinion. It is not all that uncommon for a clerk to be wrong on subtle questions.

A few official words of the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles:

Commercial Driver Licenses (CDL)
CLASS A: Trucks or truck combinations weighing with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 26,001 lbs. or more, provided towed vehicle is more than 10,000 lbs.
CLASS B: Straight trucks weighing 26,001 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating or more.
CLASS C: Vehicles transporting placardable amounts of hazardous materials, or vehicles designed to transport more than 15 persons including the driver with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of less than 26,001 lbs.

NonCommercial Driver Licenses
CLASS E: Any non-commercial motor vehicles with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 26,001 pounds, including passenger cars, 15 passenger vans including the driver, trucks or recreational vehicles and two or three wheel motor vehicles 50 cc or less, such as mopeds or small scooters. (see below). Farmers and drivers of authorized emergency vehicles who are exempt from obtaining a commercial driver license must obtain a Class E license.
A resident who holds a valid Florida operator license may continue to operate vehicles for which a CLASS E driver license is required, until the operator license expires.
16 year olds [?]
17 year olds [?]

CLASS E-Learner [?]

Motorcycles [?]

CDL Exemptions:
The following persons are exempt from the requirements to obtain a commercial driver license:
[?] or Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes; or  [?]

RV Roamer said:
Florida specifically exempts RV s from their general requirement to have a higher class license for non-commercial vehicles over 26,000 lbs. Perhaps New Mexico does something similar?

I'd call a different New Mexico DMV office and get another opinion. It is not all that uncommon for a clerk to be wrong on subtle questions.

Gary:

The University of New Mexico has a good breakdown of the NM requirements. RV's are exempted from CDL's but are covered by Class E (Over 26,000 GVW).

CDL Exemptions:
The following persons are exempt from the requirements to obtain a commercial driver license:
[?] or Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes; or  [?]

A common exemption, but the quoted text doesn't address what class of license is needed for an RV of over 26,000 lbs.  The class E only applies to RVs less than 26,001.

Ned,
I read it as follows:
You don't need a CDL when you drive a recreational vehicle. --- So I cancel the CDL Classes A, B and C.
Only a NonCommercial DL is left. And that's a Class E DL.
Class E has that 26,000 lbs restriction. But RV-Drivers are exempted from this restriction.
Hope, I'm right...

If I had a NM DL and a motor home weighing over 26,001 lbs, I would write a letter to the DMV and ask what DL I needed. Hopefully, the written response would state what is needed and you would have written "proof" of what is required, just in case there is ever a question. Relying on a verbal response by some clerk won't hold much water (especially if they are not right), if you ever have to go to court because of an infraction or law suit. JMO

Mike, that statement only excludes the requirement for a CDL, but does not address what license is required for an RV over 26,000 lbs.  How you interpret is irrelevant, it's how the law and your insurance company interprets it in the event of an accident.

Ned said:
Mike, that statement only excludes the requirement for a CDL, but does not address what license is required for an RV over 26,000 lbs.  How you interpret is irrelevant, it's how the law and your insurance company interprets it in the event of an accident.

That's why I recommend a written response from the DMV. That should eliminate any question of what is required and the insurance company would have a hard time disputing what the DMV has "officially" stated in writing. Again, my opinion and I do not claim to be an attorney. ;D

I agree completely that when in doubt, get it in writing.  A letter may save you from lots of aggravation in the future if your license is ever in question.

I began to wonder also and a quick search produced this http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml useful information.

taoshum said:
Yes, I'm a newbie here...  I just looked at my DL which is issued in NM and it says I'm ok for vehicles up to 26,000 lb GVWR.  Out of curiosity, I looked up the Itasca GVWR and it's over 27,000 lb.  So, I called the MVD office and they said "don't worry about it as long as you are not doing something that requires a Commercial Driver's Lic, like driving an 18 wheeler I guess.  Some of the larger MHs have GVWRs over 30,000 lb so I'm wondering what other people do.  Is this an issue?

In Utah it says:

Not all large vehicles require a commercial license. Generally, RVs driven for personal or family recreation, military vehicles driven by the military, farm vehicles driven by farmers, and emergency vehicles driven by emergency personnel are exempt

PhilB

I would like to add that you only need to comply with the license requirements for the state you live in, every other state will honor you license, no matter what that states licensing requirements are. In another words, if you live in South Dakota that does not require a Class B over 26K and you drive your over 26k vehicle into a state that does, then you are exempt and your class C will be honored.

Phil, that's true in all states that I know of.  A CDL isn't required for any RV used for recreational use.  However, some states (15?) require a different class of license for vehicles over 26,000 lbs.  There is a written test and usually a road test as well, similar to but not as stringent as a CDL exam.  The CDL is only required for the commercial use of any vehicle.

Ned said:
Phil, that's true in all states that I know of.  A CDL isn't required for any RV used for recreational use.  However, some states (15?) require a different class of license for vehicles over 26,000 lbs.  There is a written test and usually a road test as well, similar to but not as stringent as a CDL exam.  The CDL is only required for the commercial use of any vehicle.

Ned,

I should have added a line that says the regular Utah drivers license is good for non-commercial use of an RV.  :)

There is a requirement for an extra license endorsment if you want to ride a motorcycle.

PhilB

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom