Driver's License and GVWR??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So Utah doesn't have a weight limit for the regular license?

So far, this discussion covers driving large motorhomes.  The other often overlooked issue is towing.  Here in NC, and no doubt many other states, your standard license allows towing up to 10,000 pounds.  Many 5th wheel trailers are heavier than that and a commercial endorsement is required.

I would assume if you were involved in an accident and did not have the proper license you would be in big trouble.  I suspect they would tell you you were driving without a license, which would be true.

I've had the discussion with the main Florida DMV office in Tallahassee and there is no requirement for any special license for any private recreational vehicle, regardless of weight. Got an answer in writing via email too.

New Mexico apparently is not as kind.

Ned said:
So Utah doesn't have a weight limit for the regular license?

That is correct if it's non-commercial.  You can also tow triple.  MH-toad-boat.

I did a search on the NM statutes for "Class E" and there used to be a Class E, it seems that there is no more.  I just sent an email to the DMV Bureau Chief so maybe he will clarify the situation?  The postings that say that NM has a class E license do not seem to be current.

might call the state toopers station. the DMV people didn't know(another example of someone not knowing their job) so I called the state police, In arkansas they don't care about air brakes, size or weight. ya just gotta have a valid license...Gotta love Arkansas ;D

well, I finally got the scoop for NM and a new DL:

This is from the state office:

"In response to you email asking about a Class E license and driving a motorhome with a GVWR of 27,000+ lbs.

If you currently hold a Class D all you need to do is go into one of the Motor Vehicle Field Offices, complete the self certification form and let them know you want to change for a Class D to a Class E.  You will need to pay the fee of a new license and the Class E will allow you to drive you motorhome.  Below is the rule/regulation allowing this.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Chapter 5, Section G:
Class E (CDL Exempt) License

Revised February 28, 2008

Federal regulation allows states to exempt three groups of drivers from the general rule that a CDL is required to drive vehicles over 26,000 pounds.

New Mexico Class E (CDL exempt) license

By rule (18.19.5.112 NMAC) drivers with a Class E license may operate certain vehicles that are over 26,000 pounds on the public roads and highways of New Mexico without a commercial driver's license. The Class E exempt license is available to drivers of:
a.      Recreational Vehicles ? vehicles that are registered and used as a recreational vehicles.
b.      Farm and Ranch Vehicles ? vehicles that are: ? controlled and operated by a farmer or rancher or an employee of a farmer or rancher; ? used to transport agricultural products, agricultural machinery or agricultural supplies to or from a farm or ranch; ? used within 150 miles of the ranch or farm; and ? not used in the operations of a motor carrier or otherwise used ?for hire.?
c.      Fire Fighting Vehicles ? vehicles manufactured for and equipped to fight fires and equipped with audible and visual signals and operated by a person who is a member of a volunteer or paid fire organization.
d.      Military Vehicles - all vehicles owned or operated by the department of defense and operated by non-civilian operators. [Note: Military drivers are, however, typically licensed by the military, so would not normally need a New Mexico Class E license.]
Vehicle Certification

All applicants for a Class E license must provide a Vehicle Certification - MVD form #10414. THIS IS YOUR DOCUMENTATION FOR WHY YOU ISSUED THE EXEMPTION. MAKE SURE THAT THE APPLICANT IS QUALIFIED TO RECEIVE IT.
a.      RV driver ? may sign for himself, both first time and upon renewal.
b.      Farm or Ranch ? owner may sign for himself, both first time and upon renewal; however, the farmer/rancher must sign, both first time and upon renewal, for employee-applicant.
c.      Fire Fighters ? Fire Chief must sign, both first time and upon renewal.

Connie Torres
Manager
Driver Services Bureau"

[edit]Fixed font & white space.[/edit]

So you just show that you need a class E license and they give it to you.  No written or road test?

Yeah, no test, no questions, nothing but a fee and a lot of work just to find out...  but, if I got in a wreck, it wouldn't take a  genius to discover that I had no license to drive the vehicle and therefore no matter what the circumstances I'd be liable.  Plus I bet 90% of the MH drivers in NM don't even know about this little quirk.  My insurance agent has a MH and didn't know about it.  Maybe the judge would be nice and throw it out??????  Good Luck.

It does not appear as if a motor home meets the definition of a commercial vehicle in NM.  http://www.nmlegis.gov/Sessions/98%20Regular/FinalVersions/house/HB0133.pdf

Here are some links that might help you: http://www.tax.state.nm.us/trd_pubs.htm#mvd

Alaskansnowbirds said:
What upsets me is that DMV will register a motorhome over the 26,000 lbs and not ask to see your license that authorizes you to drive it.

That is exactly what happened to me. I am "moving" to South Dakota in a few months to save money on my registration and I won't have to get that stupid class B license.

Back
Top Bottom