Pop Up Camper Repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prenger745

I have a popup camper.  One of the wood walls that the lifts screw into had rotted out (I am sure the caulking on the exterior failed, letting water in).  I took off the moldings and the aluminum exterior.  I have a new board ready to install.  However, when I removed the molding (it was a corner molding hiding the seam from the roof to the sidewall) it was filled with a putty-like substance...almost has the consistency of play-do.  It almost seems they overfilled the molding with this substance and then when it screwed down to the camper, any excess squeezed out and was removed.  Does anyone know what this substance is? And where I can get it?  Its not silicone.

Thanks,
Dan

It goes by a variety of slang names and "monkey goo" is one of the printable ones. It comes in tubes or a slightly firmer tape form. Window putty tape is commonly used in mobile homes and metal buildings and is readily available in home supply stores and mobile home supply shops.

http://www.mobilehomepartsstore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=403302

Plumbers putty should also work - it remains pliable for many, many years.

Another solution is butyl caulk, which is also sold as gutter sealant. It adheres well to metal and handles a wide range of temperatures and joint expansion.

And last, most any sealant rated for use on exterior windows and doors would do fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom