what do you say about your carbon footprint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

taoshum

I just bought a 34' Itasca DP and i thought about it a lot because of the energy consumption but I decided to go ahead because I dont' do any international flights or use much diesel or gasolline energy  in our other vehicles.  Yet, my neighbors are giving me a hard time about driving a MH while they travel often and have timeshares across the planet.  Does anyone else  get this trouble? 

thanks, Gary. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Our neighborhood doesn't have a HOA, so there are many RVs around here.  Strength in numbers.

However, one time a rude cretin did ask me about fuel mileage when I was refueling - he almost sneered when he asked "What do you get with that thing - about 5 mpg?"  I told him that the little 3 liter diesel had been getting about 16½ on trips.  He walked away, but I got the impression he didn't believe me.

Let's face it - a lot of people have already made up their minds about RVs.  We can tell them about how small our total carbon footprint is, but it won't have any effect on them.

I'd be happy to get 16.5 mpg when towing.  I get like 8 mpg towing and 18 mpg not towing.  The small SUV fools the tree huggers, but it does not fool me at the pump.

The ratio of the amount of time I spend driving MH versus the time it sits is very small.  How do your neighbors get to their timeshare (Fly?), how many families travel to the same timeshare and is the time share green or does it use electricity, gas?.  On the other hand one asteroid and the whole carbon footprint issue is moot.  I say enjoy your motorhome without guilt.

I looked at the per mile greenhouse gas emissions for air travel, compared that to my emissions for a cross country trip and found that the RV was much more emissions efficient once you put more than 2-3 people in it and that is assuming that you go as far in the RV as others fly, which usually isn't the case.  On shorter trips the advantage of the RV gets bigger due to the exorbitant amount of fuel burned in take-off and taxiing.

On a net basis, sleep well knowing you are being more "sustainable" in an RV than flying to your destination.  If it is that big of a deal to you, buy some carbon offsets  http://carbonoffsets.org/individuals.html  and brag about how your vacation was carbon neutral and ask your neighbors if theirs was.  ;)

Past that, don't worry about it...it's not worth caring that much about what others think of you.  You know the truth, they don't.  Enjoy your RV ;D

I'm an environmentalist - no, that's not a dirty word, it's just someone who cares about the earth and the environment and does what they can to keep it clean and in good condition. Sure, my motorhome only gets 8 mpg but I drive a lot less miles than most people drive. I use way less electricity in the 28-foot motorhome than I do in the house. I use less water in the motorhome than in the stick house. I recycle, reduce and reuse more in the motorhome than I bet most people do. So if you think your RV is making a carbon impact, save in other ways.

Enjoy your travels
Wendy

This is what we have to say about  carbon footprint: Al Gore went from a net worth of $2 million dollars to over $100 million dollars in just FOUR years based upon "carbon footprint".

Jack and Liz

I would think most people who RV are to a curtain level "tree huggers".  Never calculated my carbon foot print before, but doing some on line research (today), I think ours is about average to a little on the low side.  I think we all would like to leave the world a better place .... especially for my kids and grand kids.  We do try to offset our 16 mpg van with our 45 mpg Prius and we do recycle as much as we can.  We love the out of doors.  It is a wonderful place isn't.

Have never had a neighbor ask about our van gas mileage and indeed most of the people we know do not know that we drove up in in Prius.  I think most people are not that observant.

Can I tell those who wonder about RV's that our CRV is pushing the Tradewinds?

I try very hard to remember once every six months to spend one day feeling guilty about my carbon footprint -- the rest of the time it never crosses my mind.

I have come to this position because I have come to understand that if I did everything that the environmentalists demand/suggest, in the long run it wouldn't make one iota of difference.  The sad truth is that if we all did everything we could environmentally, the good effects will be wiped out by China building a few more coal burning power plants -- and they have hundreds in the works.

OTOH, to those like Wendy who walk the walk (unlike Al Gore who merely talks the talk), know that I really respect you for what you are trying to do and admire you for it.

Don

I don't think I could quote what I would say to any jerk that asked about my mpg, if he/she/it did it in a tone that I perceived as being detrimental to the environment. I would be willing to bet a year's income that overall we use much less energy the 7+ months we are away from home, than what we would use had we spent the winter in Rochester. And this is even before we shut the heat OFF in our home while away for the entire winter.

Our carbon footprint is meaningless. What is a huge problem is overpopulation. We are going to be standing shoulder to shoulder in 100 years. Almost 7 billion people living on a planet that is meant to hold 1 billion max. I have no children so I am doing my part to curb overpopulation. I have gotten the same "how much does it cost to fill that thing up" from snotty motorcyclists or rice burner owners at the gas station. My reply "It costs a lot less for me to fill this thing up than you pay in a mortgage payment every month. I live in this thing 365 and it is paid for." Shuts them up every time.

Wendy said:
I'm an environmentalist - no, that's not a dirty word, it's just someone who cares about the earth and the environment and does what they can to keep it clean and in good condition. Sure, my motorhome only gets 8 mpg but I drive a lot less miles than most people drive. I use way less electricity in the 28-foot motorhome than I do in the house. I use less water in the motorhome than in the stick house. I recycle, reduce and reuse more in the motorhome than I bet most people do. So if you think your RV is making a carbon impact, save in other ways.

Enjoy your travels
Wendy

Thank you Wendy.  I too share your commitment to preserve our natural world for future generations.  My family recycles diligently, we compost organic materials, and we cloth diaper our children.  I have had our house reinsulated, the HVAC upgraded, windows replaced, and have remodeled using sustainable materials.  I moved within 10 miles of where I work so my daily commute is only 20 miles (no small feat in the DC Metro region) and drive a fuel efficient (non-hybrid) car.  Our trash can only needs to be picked up once every three weeks, and our household energy consumption is meager relative to the average. 

I consider myself an environmentalist, and no it isn't a bad word.  To characterize all environmentalists as left wing yahoo's is no more appropriate than to call all Christian's right wing zealots.  The vast majority of people that consider themselves environmental or conservationists are pragmatic, reasonable individuals who merely want to save what's left of this beautiful planet and do our part to "leave no trace". 

Jackliz said:
This is what we have to say about  carbon footprint: Al Gore went from a net worth of $2 million dollars to over $100 million dollars in just FOUR years based upon "carbon footprint".

Jack and Liz

I would tell them where to put their carbon footprint!

FrankReno said:
I would tell them where to put their carbon footprint!

yes agreed!!
My other car is a 1978 Austin Mini. It has been getting an average of 45 MPG for the last 31 years!!

on the rear window of the mini. "I drive a mini what are you compensating for?"

Jeff,

Our Hyndai gets 22 to 25 mpg and much higher when pushing the motorhome.  The only problem I have had is tire excessive wear on the motorhome due to excessive braking necessary to control our speed....tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom