what do you say about your carbon footprint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I say "Carbon Footprint" is one of the Greenies term for their scam. Every living thing is composed of Carbon with other elements. Carbon is not a pollutant no matter what propaganda is spouted.

Now that the scammers have about gotten all they can out of the Carbon and Carbon Dioxide scam claiming C0/2 is a pollutant, they have foisted another scam on us. By law now we are required to add another real pollutant to our Diesel Engine trucks and tractors. New Diesel trucks and tractors that we now use require Diesel Exhaust Fluid, DEF, be added to the exhaust system.

DEF does nothing to the Diesel exhaust of a truck or tractor. The exhaust still emits CO/2, carbon in the form of gas, now with Nitrous Oxide. the CO/2 is a harmless, in fact beneficial component of the atmosphere that is required by all living things, so now we have Nitrous Oxide, a true harmsul polutant mixed with it. 

I expect that we soon will be hearing that Diesel engines must be banned for the reason that Nitrous Oxide is polluting the atmosphere. I believe this is the eventual goal of the Greenies to force efficient Diesel Engines out of use.

EDIT: Removed political reference.

Nah, nitrous oxide is a feel good gas.  At least it makes me feel better when I have to visit the dentist.  :D

I'm reminded of growing up in the olde country, where most houses were heated by coal. Not a very efficient (indirect) way of heating, but it's what families had. Dad & I supplemented this by walking the river banks and harvesting tree limbs that I would later saw into fire logs. I used to take the (coal powered) steam train to school and back every day. The valleys were home to numerous coal mines, with the waste products marring the hillsides.

Every day, the colliery upstream from us would "wash" their harvested coal, and the river turned a very definite black. Not fun for us trout fishermen.

Family members, including grandfathers, uncles, and my father, were all coal miners. Dad started work in the mines at the age of 12, and "retired" early, before I was born, due to pnuemoconiosis (sp?), aka black lung disease, and had to start a new career. I didn't know my grandfathers, and I now understand why. I broke the mold, going into steel after school, before later transitioning to hi-tech.

My time in steel taught me about the industry's huge use of coal; Massive banks of 'coke ovens' indirectly heated coal to create coke which, when mixed with limestone, 'choked' the throat of blast furnaces so iron ore could be heated and converted to 'pig iron', before moving on to the steelmaking processes. A positive side effect was that the gas byproduct from the coke ovens at this one steel plant fed the whole of South Wales with gas (for cooking), before the energy folks switched to natural gas.

If anyone has seen the airborne effluent from an integrated steel plant, you'll understand that the so-called carbon footprint is quite high. It's not clear to me how we'd build many of our hi-rise buildings, infrastructure, and appliances without steel. I understand that new steelmaking processes have been developed to eliminate some pollution-creating steps in the process.

BTW I studied a bunch of the "side effects of technology" and related subjects on my various re-visits to college.

and everything we can do to help...can be erased in a minute by China.

If your worried about the price of gas, you might want to think twice. I personally do not trust big business to drop the price of gas just because they they can get the oil here. It's all about profit. If they can get it here it's cheaper for them. The oil companies will charge us the the going rate and stick the rest in their pockets.
Did we see a decrease in gas prices when the first pipe line was completed. That was suppose to decrease the price also. Didn't happen. Where I live regular is $1.99. Even with our own oil I bet yea yea it won't go below that price.

Just my $1.99 worth.

Ohhh this is a great thread to have fun with!

Growing up in south west Pa. Coming out of high school before the mid to late 70's. You could pick which jobs you wanted. Coal miner or steel worker. Both paid good wages. When I was kid. My dad was a mine foreman. He used to take me in the mines. It's DARK down there without a light! My grandfather was killed in the mine. My brother was a miner until he got laid off a week after Christmas one year. We had a coal furnace until I was about 8 yrs old. I can still remember throwing coal into it, and taking the ashes out. I can still remember the beehive coke ovens. In the winter. If you looked up into the winter sky with the clouds hanging low. You could see the glow of the coke ovens in the clouds. Driving past the coke ovens. You could feel the heat from them at about 400 yards off the road. There was never any snow around them for about 1000 yards it seems. Come to this area now. No coke ovens, 2 steel mills left near Pittsburgh, think there is only 2 mines left in operation. Both up for sale. The air is clean. The Mon River no longer looks industrial strength. You can swim in it now.

OLDRACER said:
Russ+Chris said:
Global warming started with ONE scientist. He was looking for enough gov't money to make a living. Looking through the gov't grants. He found that no one had studied anything about rising temperatures around the globe. He found a niche science. And it took off.

Could you give us a SPECIFIC reference for this? Who was this scientist? When, and where?
I've been trying to find the article that I read it in. It even had the guy's name in it. It was a couple of years ago that I read it. I'll keep digging.

TonyDtorch said:
and everything we can do to help...can be erased in a minute by China.
If you want a good laugh. Here are some good videos on china's pollution. LOL If they keep going the way they are. We won't have to worry about them in the not too distance future. They all will be dead from the pollution.

https://youtu.be/s0jvMkh1EQU

https://youtu.be/OwOBRH56Ic0

https://youtu.be/pqdgU5-CcyA

https://youtu.be/1M6s2DJrEaI

We had a coal furnace until I was about 8 yrs old. I can still remember throwing coal into it, and taking the ashes out.

Brings back memories. We had an 'open coal fire', and I was still taking ashes out when I was married and living in my own place, in my early 20's. Got up on a cold morning, lit newspaper to light kindling, to light firewood, to eventually get the coal lit. When the fire was hot, 80% of the heat went up the chimney. Used to warm the buns before heading to work.

Several times when I was refueling my RV I have had condescending motorcyclists ask me very smugly what kind of gas mileage I get. I tell them I only get about 8 miles per gallon. Then I tell them that my mortgage payment is 0 and my rent is under $300 per month since I live in my RV. Then I ask them how much is their mortgage and rent payment. It always shut them right up.

In regards to $1.99 gas.  A few years ago gas prices were around $4+ a gallon across the country.  Home heating oil was the same.  Refining of the "oil sands" started putting pressure on traditional oil suppliers.  Saudi Arabia and others increased production to make the oil sands process unprofitable.  The overall increase in supply has driven down prices to the $1.99.  +/-$.25 range depending on what part of the country you are from.  Since then U.S. oil producers have been authorized to export for the first time in decades.  Increased supply is good for consumers and businesses as prices drop and  money becomes available for other uses. 

The U.S. needs to increase supply in at least two more ways:
  1.  Build new refineries.  The current # can cause artificial supply issues especially at seasonal changeovers.
  2.  Drill where there are known reserves such as ANWR.

OBX said:
In regards to $1.99 gas.  A few years ago gas prices were around $4+ a gallon across the country.  Home heating oil was the same.  Refining of the "oil sands" started putting pressure on traditional oil suppliers.  Saudi Arabia and others increased production to make the oil sands process unprofitable.  The overall increase in supply has driven down prices to the $1.99.  +/-$.25 range depending on what part of the country you are from.  Since then U.S. oil producers have been authorized to export for the first time in decades.  Increased supply is good for consumers and businesses as prices drop and  money becomes available for other uses. 

The U.S. needs to increase supply in at least two more ways:
  1.  Build new refineries.  The current # can cause artificial supply issues especially at seasonal changeovers.
  2.  Drill where there are known reserves such as ANWR.

X2

There is a real simple way to give the price of gas the finger. Buy an electric car. I am going to get a Tesla model 3 as soon as they are available. ;D

Hi Tom,

I've got a friend who has an electric car. Pretty impressive! That thing can go from 0 to 60 in a blink of an eye. Sooner or later there will be more of these on the road and the stations to charge them. They still require solar or coal for their power. Best!

I have stayed out of this thread but tonight I'm more or less backing down on other political issues and I found a very funny cartoon (Dinosaur wearing a T-Shirt "Astroids are a Hoax" two more advising don't set him off or some such  It is a SPEED BUMP cartoon from about 2 or 3 days ago, too funny not to share)

Well. Here is something to think about.. First. I don't drive the Motor home all that often, oh yes, when I do it sucks about 1 pint of gasoline per mile  But I don't drive it every day..... So it's not really that much fuel.. I use around 50 Gallons of Propane in a "Heavy Use" year. (200 pounds) we used to use about 100 per month cooking (if not more) at my parent's house.

Electricity. The Sticks and Bricks had a 150 Amp Main breaker.... the RV-50, and often the site I'm on only 30 (Which is 30% of 50 Amp service) the RV can exist on just 50 amps of 120vac. (That's what the generator makes)  So overall.  I'm using a fraction of the energy I used when I had a house.... Both Gasoline and Electricity.

Of course I'm not driving 20 miles to work (And another 20 back) 5 days a week any more either. (About 1 gallon each way).

camperAL said:
Hi Tom,

I've got a friend who has an electric car. Pretty impressive! That thing can go from 0 to 60 in a blink of an eye. Sooner or later there will be more of these on the road and the stations to charge them. They still require solar or coal for their power. Best!
All we are waiting for is an infrastructure to be built and the prices to come down and then electrics will be all you can see on the road. I test drove a Tesla last year and darn near wet myself. It is not just the speed, they corner like an Indy car because of the batteries being so low. They don't really require the use of the brakes since they use regenerative braking. They only have a few moving parts so oil changes, brake jobs and routine maintenance is a thing of the past. 

I'm all for less pollution. My area is a lot cleaner today then it was when I was growing up in the 60's. As more electric cars come on the market and being used on the roads. That is increasing load on the electrical grid from the cars recharging. The grid HAS to be improved and up-graded. As it is now. It's barely making it. If half of the cars on the road today switch to electric. With no improvements to the grid. You'll have browns outs and blackouts. Electric companies would like to make improvements. But you have these NIMBY groups blocking it. To get around these groups. The Fed gov't has to step in a say it's for national security. Already seen one one these groups block a new transmission line between Wheeling WV to DC. The line was to follow an old unused right-a-way. God help us if we ever get hit with a solar EMP. It will set us back over a 100 years. Used to get daily e-mail up-dates from the grid operator on solar flairs.

SeilerBird said:
There is a real simple way to give the price of gas the finger. Buy an electric car. I am going to get a Tesla model 3 as soon as they are available. ;D

That's a nice thought Tom BUT in order to re-charge those incredibly expensive batteries we need equally expensive fossil fuel electricity generation plants or incredibly dirty nuclear plants.
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a simple alternative to fossil fuels so I vote for taking it from the Iraqi's and Iranians (oil that is). Tree huggers can go to...

Just my simple, humble opinion.

Keith

It will be interesting to see if/how many of those electric cars burst into flames because of battery/charger issues  :eek:  I suspect they've done some engineering work on that issue, but only time will tell.

Also if you want something better than a tin can like the Prius, it will be awhile before the prices come down to reasonable levels.>>>Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom