Bought TT & having shipped, should I wait to have WD hitch installed with my TV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austintx01

I am a newbie and in the process of buying a TT (27BHS Keystone Hornet) from a dealer in Ohio (Holman - I did not want to buy out of state, but they get great customer reviews on eBay and their price could not be touched by anyone in state).  I am having it shipped  - bidding it out on "uship.com" - so I don't know if it will be towed or pulled on a trailer yet (I'm not sure this is even possible given the size?).  Don't I need to have the WD hitch/sway bar (after reading a lot on this forum I plan to go with the Reese Dual Cam or Equalizer, not sure which yet) installed locally along with my Ford F150?  The dealer said they could install it, but it needs to be adjusted for my TV, right?  Thanks for any help

you do have to wait. I have a 28bhs and use the duel cam. I just purchased a new 2500HD Silverado to replace a 1500 and had to reset the hitch because of difference in hight.

You can get the receiver installed but to set up the trailer and determine the setting for the spring bars, you need to have the trailer handy. On the other hand, if you drive the truck to a local hitch shop, they won't have the trailer either, since you can't tow it there. Or will you have it delivered to the hitch shop?  The shop can select the size of spring bar for the WD mechanism based on the estimated tongue weight of your trailer. From there it is trial and error. Just make sure you can exchange the bars if they turn out to be too small.

Thanks!  I have the square receiver already mounted on the truck (came with tow pkg - '04 F150 FX4 Supercrew) and I towed a 25' TT rental unit a few weeks ago with an equalizer WD hitch the rental place loaned (rented) me.  I thought the equalizer setup just plugged into the square female receiver on the truck?  Gary are you talking about something else that gets mounted on the truck besides the receiver?  I thought all the "installing" was done on the trailer itself, then they need to be adjusted according to how they ride/load on the tongue of the truck (this is what they did at the rental place, but maybe they do it differently)?  If I don't have the dealer install the WD hitch/sway, I wonder how these "shippers" (most of them tow it with their own trucks) tow and if they use their own WD hitch...guess I better ask!  Thanks again for your advice

Nothing else on the truck, except the plug for the lights & brakes.  The rest is on the trailer, but there isn't really any variation there. The shackles that attach to the trailer frame are at a fixed distance from the tow vehicle, governed by the length of the spring arms. The variable is the height position of the spring arms in the trailer shackle and the strength (weight rating) of the arms themselves. There are 5 different spring arms available, depending on the tongue weight of the trailer. There are 400, 600, 1000, 1200 and 1400 lb arms. The Hornet 27BHS has a dry hitch weight spec of 790 lbs, so I would expect the 1000 lb arms to be used but set on fairly lopw on  the shackle to provide only a portion of their weight transfer capability.

You could install it your self - it's not rocket science.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlm611
Back
Top Bottom