Cleaning Pleated Shades?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LK23

I plan to remove the pleated shades that pull across the front window of our Itasca Horizon 40AD and have them cleaned.  Has anyone done this?  Where should I take them?  Dry Cleaners?

LK23 said:
I plan to remove the pleated shades that pull across the front window of our Itasca Horizon 40AD and have them cleaned.  Has anyone done this?  Where should I take them?  Dry Cleaners?

A dry cleaner may agree to clean them for you but, be prepared to replace them if the cleaning shreds them.

PhilB

Are they shades or curtains?  We've washed our curtains several times with no ill effects.

Ned - they have vertical pleats and the material is stiff.  We haven't done a thing with ours except use them.

I'm leaving this post here in the Winnie board in the hopes that Rex can get an answer from a Winnie owner with specific experience with our shades.

Ok, don't want to run those through the washing machine.  Can they be vacuumed?

Perhaps a spray-on, wipe off, fabric & carpet cleaner would work with the least amount of stress on the fabric;

What brand??...I Dunno :-\....Should have paid more attention to the Billy Mays commercials, I guess :p

LK23 said:

I have a Dutch Star with the pleated front shades and we cleaned our about 4 times befor replacing them this week.  I used a solution of OxyClean water in the bathtub.  I let them soak for a couple of hours during which I ocassionally swished them around.  Then I rinsed them and washed again with Woolite.  Rinsed and them soaked them with laundry starch to restiffen them.  Compressed them to the folded state and tied them so they had to dry that way.  Hung them up and let dry for a few days.  Then rehung in MH.

The shades were made by ??creative solutions?? in Elkhart.

We've taken ours to a dry cleaner once and they did a great job. I was afraid they might shrink if washed. The cleaner we went to advertised that they did drapes and curtains. 

I've had great luck on spot cleaning the shades and also my day/night shades using the Shout Cleaning Pads.  Really tough stains sometimes required 2-3 treatments, like for catsup.  I have 4 grandkids that love to travel with us and they can get things dirty in the strangest places... :D

Best Regards!

We removed the pleated shades in the front window and took them to Coit drapery cleaners in Denver, CO.  They recommended cleaning by hand to avoid shrinkage.  We picked them up today and they look like new, maybe better.  Cost:  $74

When I was in STL I ended up workcamping, the owner had a side business doing Ultra Sonic Blind Cleaning.  Mostly did miniblinds, but, the process worked really well on Day Night shades, vertical blinds, and also the front curtains, as he let me use the machine to do all of mine. 

Most major cities have some sort of Blind Cleaning business that uses this technique, and he was cheap at about $10.00 a blind if you removed them.  The ultra sonic process uses Piezo electrics that "Blast" off the dirt while the blind is submerged in a solution of mild detergent and water.  It is truely amazing how much dirt comes off them.

A common trade name used is "Shine a Blind" which is the MFG of the machine.  If you get through Saint Louis, I can hook you up with George, but I do know many other cities have similar businesses.  We will do that again when we need to clean ours, as it works very well and doesn't destroy the fabric.

John

I'm with John on the electric MCD shades, we saw them on a 2010 at the rally, pretty awesome. Got a price to have them retrofitted on our 07 Adventurer for min $700 - price goes up contingent on how much retro fitting. That will be something to do when we win the lottery.

In the mean time I have spot cleaned mine with Tuff Stuff, have used that on leather, carpet, floor and pleated shades. Pretty good stuff. Definately due to take them in for a thorough cleaning so appreciate the suggestions above.

Back
Top Bottom