ford vs workhorse which is better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
John From Detroit said:
I used to drive Fords too.. I do admit they stopped just fine.  As for the rest of it.. Well.. ... I now drive Chevy's

Hey John, Just toying with ya, you know that, right? 
BUT!, how do you explain that FORD is still in business, and you, me and Obama had to buy 60% of GM (we also bought the other 40% and gave it to the unions) just so they could go bankrupt with style?

They went out of business building the best vehicle, right?  RIGHT!!

Richard 34A said:
Actually, Bill, the main difference here you can actually take issue with known problems, such as brake problems on specific Workhorse chassis, and not take flak. But all is okay with me, since the NHTSA forced Workhorse to issue a recall, just like I always knew would eventually happen... nice to see that Workhorse will be taking ownership and having to inspect and repair, as necessary, something like seven model-years. I would guess that you too got a recall notice from Workhorse, since I seem to remember you own a 2004.

You didn't specify; what kind of suspension and engine problems have you incurred?
There is a difference between taking issue, and flaming and insults.  It's good to see the flaming and insults don't go on here.

I did get the recall.  I fully expected the NHTSA to force a recall.  It's too bad it took so long and generated so much negativity on the other site.  I am looking forward to getting my brakes fixed.

My suspension had the old Monroe medium duty shocks.  They were dead in less than 5,000 miles.  WH did say they would replace them with Monroe gas magnum shocks.  To me it was replacing junk with junk.  I opted to apply the WH replacement allowance to a set of Konis.

My engine had a chipped #7 piston.  This is a known, but not frequent, manufacturing defect.  Needless to say, WH doesn't acknowledge the problem.  Also, I have had ongoing power shut downs due to a TAC module error code.  This is another problem that isn't acknowledged by WH.  I recently replaced the module and hopefully the new one will work properly.

There have been a few other minor problems.

As I noted earlier, I don't expect to be WH customer at any point in the future.

Photog said:
There is a difference between taking issue, and flaming and insults.  It's good to see the flaming and insults don't go on here.

I did get the recall.  I fully expected the NHTSA to force a recall.  It's too bad it took so long and generated so much negativity on the other site.  I am looking forward to getting my brakes fixed.

My suspension had the old Monroe medium duty shocks.  They were dead in less than 5,000 miles.  WH did say they would replace them with Monroe gas magnum shocks.  To me it was replacing junk with junk.  I opted to apply the WH replacement allowance to a set of Konis.

My engine had a chipped #7 piston.  This is a known, but not frequent, manufacturing defect.  Needless to say, WH doesn't acknowledge the problem.  Also, I have had ongoing power shut downs due to a TAC module error code.  This is another problem that isn't acknowledged by WH.  I recently replaced the module and hopefully the new one will work properly.

There have been a few other minor problems.

As I noted earlier, I don't expect to be WH customer at any point in the future.

Nice to see you've done a 180 on more than a few points in your reply.... Of course, we're all still Workhorse customers, until we sell or trade... guess that's why that just today I got a 'Recall Update' email from WK.

I've always said Workhorse because of the 8.1 Chevy engine coupled with the Allison Transmission....both of these work very well together.

But....the Workhorse Service facilities lack any type of good customer service, except for two places on the West coast, and I haven't heard of many problems with the Ford V-10 coupled with the Ford Transmission with the Haul Mode transmission overdrive.  I also hear that the Ford dealerships take these big Class A's in for service, and that is something that is worth it's weight in gold.

Also, Workhorse stuck their head in the sand too long on the huge brake safety issue, and would still be in the sand if the NHTSA wouldn't have pulled their head out.  ;)

Our next motorhome won't have either chassis.  ;)

Richard 34A said:
Nice to see you've done a 180 on more than a few points in your reply.... Of course, we're all still Workhorse customers, until we sell or trade... guess that's why that just today I got a 'Recall Update' email from WK.
Richard,
I'm not sure what would prompt this comment.  I told you in a PM some time ago that I had major non-brake problems and wasn't happy with WH.  Also, that I that I wouldn't be buying another WH product.  No 180 on my part.

Photog said:
Richard,
I'm not sure what would prompt this comment.  I told you in a PM some time ago that I had major non-brake problems and wasn't happy with WH.  Also, that I that I wouldn't be buying another WH product.  No 180 on my part.

What would prompt that comment?  ??? I have a good memory and certainly remember many things that were said 'over there' and who those people are, even those that have migrated here, for whatever purpose.

But the question in this thread is Ford or Workhorse and you've clearly stated you won't be a future Workhorse customer, so at least we both agree that our next MH won't be on a Workhorse chassis. I did get an kick out of the email from Workhorse yesterday, stating, in part, 'This is a voluntary recall that Workhorse has initiated in cooperation with the NHTSA.' Funny stuff, unless you were an owner of an affected chassis that WK all the way to the end refused to acknowledge or pay for any repairs, for what, almost three years?

Richard 34A said:
What would prompt that comment?  ??? I have a good memory and certainly remember many things that were said 'over there' and who those people are, even those that have migrated here, for whatever purpose.
Obviously, your memory is much better than mine.

All I ever suggested was that the WH Forum was a valuable resource and that it would be a shame if the sponsorship was lost because of several folks "bashing" WH on an almost daily basis.  Anyway, now that the recall has been issued, the bashing has subsided and worthwhile information is again being posted.

As to the recall.  It doesn't look to me like its really all that voluntary.

Have a great day!

Again
I had a 2005 V 10 Ford and had no Problems at ALL
I have a 2008 Bounder with a workhorse only used ONE /ONE/ ONE time
The coach has 717 miles on it at this time 216 when I purchased it.
I have a Warped Hub on the back side and fluid leaking from the rear  .
Workhorse won't cover the hob because the rims were upgraded by dealer or fleetwood

I have to find who installed the rims and did they tighten them
I have no way to prove this so I have to eat the money to replace the hub
They will only cover the gasket for the leak

roy said:
Again
I had a 2005 V 10 Ford and had no Problems at ALL
I have a 2008 Bounder with a workhorse only used ONE /ONE/ ONE time
The coach has 717 miles on it at this time 216 when I purchased it.
I have a Warped Hub on the back side and fluid leaking from the rear  .
Workhorse won't cover the hob because the rims were upgraded by dealer or fleetwood

I have to find who installed the rims and did they tighten them
I have no way to prove this so I have to eat the money to replace the hub
They will only cover the gasket for the leak

Not to discount your experiance with WH or Ford and I have a Ford I am really happy with but....

The rear axle is probalby the same or very similar Model 135 from Dana Spicer on both the Ford and WH. A warped Hub is odd to say the least. Bent spindle, bad bearings, bad seal even spun races are common. I am not saying it can't but I don't know how a loose or over tight wheel would cause a hub to warp with out causing lots of other collateral damage. Sorry for you bad luck on this but if it were mine I would get a second opinion from a truck or medium to heavy duty shop. Who knows the seal or race may just have a bit steel behind it and be in wrong causing the leak.

good luck

Wayne

Photog said:
Obviously, your memory is much better than mine.

All I ever suggested was that the WH Forum was a valuable resource and that it would be a shame if the sponsorship was lost because of several folks "bashing" WH on an almost daily basis.  Anyway, now that the recall has been issued, the bashing has subsided and worthwhile information is again being posted.

As to the recall.  It doesn't look to me like its really all that voluntary.

Have a great day!

And therein lies the problem; because people like me refused to accept Workhorse's lack of response to the problem and continued to hammer away (actually, it more like Workhorse ignored and refused to accept any ownership or responsibility, including their refusal to even simply notify the affected chassis owners). People like you labeled me and others as 'bashing Workhorse'. That's too bad because any manufacturer that produces a faulty product should be responsible enough to make it right and something as serious as faulty shouldn't take almost THREE YEARS to resolve. Even with a recall being issued, many of us probably won't have our brakes inspected and repaired come New Year's Day...

I guess you can call it anything you want, but in the end, plenty of the advice that was touted as 'the answers' turned out to be false and worthless, just as I said all along. And that really only led people to a false sense of security. Lucky for you, you never experienced a brake failure or had to cough up the cash for a major repair, but many Workhorse owner's haven't been so lucky. Even better for you, is the people like me who challenged Workhorse, filed complaints with the NHTSA, wrote letters to our politicians and continued to expose the brake problems on forums so it wouldn't just die away... you, along with every affected chassis owner, including me, benefit from the recall. Hey, maybe I. along with many others, have helped prevent you from a future serious accident from all that 'bashing' I did, so you too will end up with a motorhome was safe brakes.

Since we're all friends, no 'thanks' are necessary! Have a great and safe RV summer...

Folks, why not take the discussions about "over there", well, over there. This is here and, quite honestly, we don't give a darn about what was discussed elsewhere. We have a lot of empathy for folks who have experienced the WH/brake issues, and are so pleased that things appear to be coming to a resolution, albeit slowly.

Speaking personally, my hat is off to the folks who persevered and applied pressure in the right places to bring things to a safe and successful conclusion.

Y'all are welcome here!

Richard 34A said:
Since we're all friends, no 'thanks' are necessary! Have a great and safe RV summer...
Richard,

No thanks are offered.

You seem to be lecturing me rather than discussing Ford v WH.  Your claims about me are baseless and I resent them.  Please stop.  Also don't go off the reservation here, like you did there.

I think we can both agree that we won't be buying another WH.  Further neither one of us recommends WH.

Have a great day.  ;D

I think the only difference between Ford  and Workhorse is the Warranty .
The approved repair shop can be a problem also for me it's a 30 min drive.
I think it's BS 700 miles and they won't fix it the repair shop told me they"Workhorse" always look for the out.

Just a FYI My warranty start date is 4/29/09 and they are playing games.

I think Workhorse has become shell-shocked on the brake and axle issues. They have circled the wagons and are in full defensive mode, shooting all comers on sight rather than considering each case on its merits. Too bad - they started out an excellent company with great customer service and they really revolutionized the gas RV chassis.  They made Ford step up to some major chassis and transmission improvements that Ford and Chevy had neglected for many years and made the gas chassis motorhome a worthy competitor for the DP.

auto manufacturers do it all the time.... not going public with the recalls pissing off all kinds of customers.  So WH not willing to stepping up to the plate to fix whataver they screwed up doesn't seem all that shocking to me... I just hope whatever the brake issues are, that I do not experience them.  I am very pleased with how my 38p drives/feels at speed, definantly not as solid as a DP but a lot closer then it use to be I woul guess.

Dropped the RV off yesterday with a little over 30 issues with the coach (paint issues, no screen on 1 window, leveling jacks not retracting when put it gear, lots of trim issues etc), hopefully they will fix most of them however I know several they will not.  I guess that's what I get for buying a more of a entry level MH but I would of thought the quality should still be there. 

Photog said:
Richard,

No thanks are offered.

You seem to be lecturing me rather than discussing Ford v WH.  Your claims about me are baseless and I resent them.  Please stop.  Also don't go off the reservation here, like you did there.

I think we can both agree that we won't be buying another WH.  Further neither one of us recommends WH.

Have a great day.  ;D

Folks, why not take the discussions about "over there", well, over there. This is here and, quite honestly, we don't give a darn about what was discussed elsewhere.

Photog;

This was posted prior to your last remarks; seems clear enough, don't you think Photog? So, please stop... I also see that since joining here, 7 of your 15 total posts here have been directed at me. I hope you joined this forum for other reasons than that... if you have any thing further to say on the subject, just send me an email and we can focus on informational posts regarding RV's on this forum.

As far as Ford vs. Workhorse, it's so subjective that there is no clear right or wrong choice. I've had two Ford chassis MH's in the past and never had any issues with either one. I now have a WH but didn't buy it because it was a WH, but rather a Winnebago that was on a WH chassis. I liked the 5-speed Allison transmission and in 2006, they went to a 6-speed, both an appealing feature on WH's but not Ford. On the other hand, if I had known about the brake issues that were already on record, I would have gone with a Ford chassis, since Winnebago used both for my model year and floorplan. Plus, in that time frame anyway, the WH chassis cost considerably more... another consideration is the normal maintenance schedule: my older Ford's didn't seem to require as much maintenance and hence the cost far was less than the WH, though it is quite possible that the newer Ford's require just as much and the cost is equivalent.

Richard 34A said:
Folks, why not take the discussions about "over there", well, over there. This is here and, quite honestly, we don't give a darn about what was discussed elsewhere.

Photog;

This was posted prior to your last remarks; seems clear enough, don't you think Photog? So, please stop... I also see that since joining here, 7 of your 15 total posts here have been directed at me. I hope you joined this forum for other reasons than that... if you have any thing further to say on the subject, just send me an email and we can focus on informational posts regarding RV's on this forum.

As far as Ford vs. Workhorse, it's so subjective that there is no clear right or wrong choice. I've had two Ford chassis MH's in the past and never had any issues with either one. I now have a WH but didn't buy it because it was a WH, but rather a Winnebago that was on a WH chassis. I liked the 5-speed Allison transmission and in 2006, they went to a 6-speed, both an appealing feature on WH's but not Ford. On the other hand, if I had known about the brake issues that were already on record, I would have gone with a Ford chassis, since Winnebago used both for my model year and floorplan. Plus, in that time frame anyway, the WH chassis cost considerably more... another consideration is the normal maintenance schedule: my older Ford's didn't seem to require as much maintenance and hence the cost far was less than the WH, though it is quite possible that the newer Ford's require just as much and the cost is equivalent.

Probably as important, or maybe more important, is the brand of the MH. A zillion things can break or leak on a MH and has nothing to do with Ford vs. Workhorse.

yea, I was hopeing this thread people would state in which ways the actuall chassis differs, not just engine's blowing pistons vs brakes not working or whatever it is :) 

I was hopeing for info on how they actually feel when driving down the road, how they take wind, uneved roads/tramlining & all that stuff & also how the actual chassis differ. 

Just opened my Can of Wormssssss,,,,

All the worms said Workhorse,,,,,,Workhorse,,,,Workhorse,,,,,,,,sounded like a  seance,,,,,,,,or chant,,,,,

Worms,,,,,,know best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom