FLORIDA TO MAINE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamboo

Planing a trip from, Florida to Maine, stopping in Williamburg VA & D C any other suggestion for stops would be appreciated.  When is a good time to see the fall colors there?

That's kind of an open question.  We have made the trip several times, sometimes driving straight through, so we stopped at Flying J's, Rest stops, etc and make it in 3 to 4 days from Nova Scotia.  Sometimes we take 2 to 3 weeks, sauntering troughout the North East, which has sooooo many beautiful areas to explore.  If you are looking for metropolitan areas, I'd recommend a few days in Boston, agriculteral then a few days in Lancaster Co Pennsylvania, rustic then the White Mountains, old grand houses will take you to Newport RI.  So, my best answer to you is to be flexible, take as much time as you can and see as much as you can.
    As for "leaf peeping", it is usually around the Columbus Day week end, but it does vary depending on elevation, how far north or south you are, and on other variable such as the weather.

Fall colors in VA and vicinity are late October and most of November, but it varies a lot with locale and weather.

I would stay well outside of DC with the RV and drive in to do the sight-seeing. Traffic in and around DC is horrendous. So are RV park prices, so stay 50+ miles away if you want to save money on campground fees.

When we were in DC last fall, we stayed at Fairfax Lake Park, Reston, VA.  The cost was $34/day.  About 10 minutes from the metro in Falls Church.  Don't take your car into DC, use the metro.

Ned said:
When we were in DC last fall, we stayed at Fairfax Lake Park, Reston, VA.  The cost was $34/day.  About 10 minutes from the metro in Falls Church.  Don't take your car into DC, use the metro.

Ha, I lived 5 minutes from Lake Fairfax for nearly 15 years!

I can also recommend Bull Run Regional Park, which is a little further west of the city (DC), but has a great facility, is open year round, and is right next to Manassas National Battlefield, if you are in to Civil war history.  I believe their full hook up rate was $39 this past fall.

I did the Florida to Maine trip last year and I did learn that the season for campgrounds ends on Columbus Day weekend.  Many of the state camp grounds close after Labor day.  Lake George and Vermont are at their best the first week in October but you have to check on line for exact conditions.  There are web sites that show you where to go and when.  Vermont is the most scenic in my opinion because they don't have any bill boards or heavy industry.  Not too crowded at that time either.  Maine has a lot to do for campers but it starts rolling in the sidewalks after labor day.  Half the fun is planning for the trip so it looks like you are going to have fun for the next several months.

Denis

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom