The Mermaids Cove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edjunior

Okay folks, I just have to pass this one on.  I went to a place here locally (the wife didn't want to go too far due to the gas prices) for Labor Day weekend.  It is called The Mermaids Cove, located in Spring Branch, TX., at the head of Canyon Lake.  And the verdict is...avoid this place.  While it is a pretty place, it is not professionally managed, in fact, the manager/owner never even showed up.  His brother-in-law was there sorta helping out, but even he bugged out on Saturday morning.  I made the reservation on-line, and never got any kind of a confirmation.  When I finally called him (a long distance call to Houston!), Rick didn't even know I'd made the reservation.  He said he was having computer problems.  Then he said something about getting an e-mail.  What it boils down to is, he just really doesn't know what he's doing.  If you want peace and quiet, it's not bad.  But that's just because nobody is there!  It is really a nice place, but it needs to be professionally managed, and cleaned up and fixed up.  Maybe in a couple of years, if someone comes in and takes over, it could be a place to go.  But for now, don't let the website fool you.

http://www.themermaidcove.com/

Well, it does say "rustic", and the price seems to be reasonable. What were your complaints ??

Woody

So who needs an on-site manager?  We have stayed in many small parks, especially state, county and USFS operated places, where somebody may come by once a day or once a weekend to collect fees. Other than that, we were on our own and happy about it.

Well, I didn't say it needed an "on-site" manager, though those are nice.  I said it needed to be "professionaly" managed.  By this, I mean it seems to me that Rick, the person that owns/manages it is doing it more as a side project, and really doesn't seem to know how to deal with the place.  The bathhouse/shower were so run-down, I didn't dare go near them.  There are numerous cabins that should probably be condemned (they are not available for rent, but probably harbor all kinds of critters, wasps, etc.).  They may be capable of being renovated, but I kinda doubt it.  They look pretty shaky.

When I first got there, my electric hook-up only had a 10 amp breaker in it.  Even the 50 amp hookups only had 10 amp breakers.  When I tried to fire up my AC, it didn't go.  The compressor made some noise, but no fan, then it all shut down.  I don't know if this was due to the 10 amp breaker, but I'm sure it didn't help it any.  Anyway, Glen, our neighbor for the weekend, is full-timing it there, and just happened to also know how to deal with the breakers.  He found a 30 amp breaker and replaced it.  Initially the AC did not come back, but after a few minutes, voila, it fired up.

As far as some of the activities there (the Wedding Chapel, etc.), when you get there, there is no place to go to find out about this.  There are no brochures, handouts, anything.  There is nothing to explain the sculptures.  You are basically on your own for anything you want to do.  Including getting any information about the campsite itself, and/or anything to do in the local area.

Now, all that said, since I was not really looking for much beyond a place to hook-up, and my initial problems were eventually dealt with, I got what I was looking for.  I know the area, and we went off to other places (Guadalupe River State Park) to do our activities.  So for me, it was not a major big deal.  However, others looking for what the website is offering will end up being disappointed.  In fact, two people pulled out right before we got there, and two more left shortly after we got set up. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom