How many people can ride in an RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rveer

We are 15 people who are planning an RV trip together. Most RVs we see have a sleeping capacity of upto 10. I was wondering if that is also the maximum number of people who can ride in an RV? I was hoping that all 15 can ride in the RV, though only 10 will sleep in it.

We are thinking of camping where some of us will sleep in the tent and the rest will sleep in the RV. Is that possible at all?

The maximum number of people that can ride in the RV is limited by the number of seat belts.  I don't know of any RVs that will sleep 10 people with any comfort.

Ned said:
The maximum number of people that can ride in the RV is limited by the number of seat belts.  I don't know of any RVs that will sleep 10 people with any comfort.

I know mine is quite crowded with FOUR!

Also...10 (or FIFTEEN!!) people plus all of their 'stuff'...unless you're in a Prevost (or other Bus Conversion)...you are likely going to be WAY over weight!

Note to self...NO trips with Rveer!

As Ned said, it is limited by the number of seat belts.  DOT regs indicate that a seat belt be available for every passenger.  I have never seen an RV layout that had more than 8 seat belts, and most have fewer.  BTW I have one of the highest capacity motorhomes with respect to listed sleeping capacity (eight) and I would never even think about sleeping more than 6 people in it...maybe 7 in a pinch if a couple of the people were kids.

Other respondents are being quite conservative. Here's the group we managed to get into our 38 foot coach:

Photo1

Photo 2.

Some folks slept standing up, while others slept sitting down, and most didn't sleep at all. IIRC none wore seatbelts, but they all came away saying "what a wonderful trip!".

Ned said:
I don't know of any RVs that will sleep 10 people with any comfort.

Yeah, I would agree.  But comfort must be a relative term.  Last year we saw a popup with an "add-a-room", that was holding TEN people.  That was at a CG in Ohio near Kings Island.  Pics attached.  (Tom, feel free to delete them after a while)

Attachments

• yIMG_3511w.jpg
    yIMG_3511w.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 129
  • yIMG_3519w.jpg
    yIMG_3519w.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 105
Tom, you sneeky-peak!  I'm in both of those photos and I can assure RVEER that only two people (Tom and Chris) slept in that motorhome after those photos were taken.  We all had our own motorhomes nearby!  These days most motorhomes are built for couples or smaller families.  Haven't seen one that would sleep even ten, much less fifteen, for many years.  Older RV manufacturers used to assume families would be using their products, but this isn't necessarily true anymore.

ArdraF

We did see a custom 5th wheel trailer with 7 doors for a touring group.  However, they had vans to carry the passengers when traveling and only used the trailer for sleeping.

Contrary to the protestations of others, they do make an RV that will sleep 32. Here are photos taken by yours truly:

Photo 1

Photo 2

I don't think that's what Rveer has in mind, but it would work.

On Seatbelts - -  Texas just passed a law that all riders must be strapped in,  front or back seat in vehicles.  Wonder if it applies to RVs also?

If the seat belt low doesn't apply to RVs, it should. I've ridden sideways on the sofa around mountain roads for nearly two hours and it was not the most comfortable trip I've ever had, although acceptable in a pinch. I wouldn't want to make a long trip that way.

Besides sleeping arrangements, there's the issue of bathroom facilities. Not likely to boondock much with a big crowd.

Rveer,

May I assume you are looking to 'rent' the RV for this adventure. If so are you planning to tell the rental agency just how LARGE your family is??  ;D They might take exception to renting to you for that purpose.(insurance)

If planning to buy better have really deep pockets.    GoodLuck

With 15 people (how many adults and how many kids?) you might want to consider renting 2 RVs or rent a big RV, buy a couple of tents, and rent a van. I believe I recall a family with 10 or 12 kids that appeared on Today Show and were traveling the country in an RV. The oldest kid followed the motorhome in a van.

Wendy

I believe the only exceptions to the seat belt laws applied to buses.  All private vehicles must have seat belts for all passenger positions.

Tom said:
Other respondents are being quite conservative. Here's the group we managed to get into our 38 foot coach:

Photo1

Photo 2.

Some folks slept standing up, while others slept sitting down, and most didn't sleep at all. IIRC none wore seatbelts, but they all came away saying "what a wonderful trip!".

Do you need a Wide-Load sign when you drive with the slideouts extended like that?

Wow! You guys are the most helpful bunch I have come across in some time. Thank you so much for all your replies.

As you might have guessed already, I am a newbie to RVs and we are planning to rent the RV for a 3 day weekend on Oregon. Thankfully 15 is not the size of my family but we are 3 families getting together for this trip. We want to ride together but don't know of any vehicle that we can rent that will carry us all. So I want to explore an RV.

As for sleeping, we are planning to sleep at the campgrounds anyways so all I am worried about is, can it carry us during day time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom