Truck Trailer Towing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99blackz

I am looking at a Fleetwood GearBox 335FS, and was curious if my truck would be up to the challenge.  I have a Chevy 2500HD, with the Duramax and Allison trans.  Is it possible or absolutely not?

We need more info.  What is the year and rear end ratio of the truck, and gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the trailer.  GVWR is the unladen weight plus the carrying capacity. 

2006 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 Litre Duramax with 6 speed Allison Transmission with 3:73 rear end

Trailer is a 2005 Fleetwood Gearbox 335FS with a GVWR of 14300

Thanks.  It is going to be close so I gotta ask for more.    Regular, extended or crew cab?  Long or short wheel base?  2WD or 4WD?.  I am assuming that the trailer is a 5th wheel.  Right?

Sorry for the lack of info, didn't even think about that stuff!

Its a Crew Cab, 4WD, short box.  The trailer is a fifth wheel.  Also keep in mind that even though it is a toy hauler, the most I ever intend on having in the back would be a single golf cart.  And that would even be seldom.

Thanks for the help!

OK, Trailer Life's tow rating tables give 14,200 lbs as the rating for the 2006 short wheel base crew cab 2500 with a 6.6 TD, with a 3.73 rear end and 4wd.  Since that assumes only a driver and fluids in the truck, we like to discount that 10% to allow for passengers, cab baggage, weight of the hitch assembly, etc., bringing the truck's rating to  12,780 lbs.

That is entirely too light for a trailer with a GVWR of 14,300 lbs.  The fact that you might not always tow the golf cart is immaterial.  It is the heaviest weight that you would carry that counts.  

With a 5th wheel trailer, the rear gross axle weight rating (GAWR) of the truck is also critical.   Fivers, and especially toy haulers, are built so that 20%+ of the trailer weight bears on the hitch pin and thus directly on the rear axle.  2500 series trucks  are going to have problems there with big fivers.   What you really want to haul that trailer is a GMC 3500 with duai rear wheels.

Go lighter or get a new truck.

Toy hauler aside, approximately how much weight will you add to the trailer with all of the camping stuff?  Ball park?

99blackz said:
Toy hauler aside, approximately how much weight will you add to the trailer with all of the camping stuff?  Ball park?

You would not need a ball park; the state of Texas would be more like it.  It all depends on you and how you pack.  I have carried all my camping gear and food for a nine day trip in a 40-lb pack.  You ain't gonna do that.  Go with GVWR and forget the what-ifffing about cargo.  That is the path to kidding yourself.

Any old-timer here will tell you that the junk you haul wiil increase to fill the spaces available to stuff it into.  ;D

RV Roamer said:
The gear will increase to OVERFILL the space available. And the weight too.

Overfill you bet!   Every once in a while the stuff escapes from the trailer and finds its way in to our house.  We have to lock it in the garage until we can stuff it back into the trailer.

Myself, I think it breeds in the trailer when we are not around to catch it.  :mad:

Back
Top Bottom