Grand Canyon - South Rim Campgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toehead410

Hello RVForum...

The family and I are taking a trip to that big ditch in Arizona from middle Tennessee. I am not finding what I consider decent reviews and/or recommendations for campgrounds in July. We have a 30' travel trailer, the kids want a pool and I want some peace and quiet. Can anyone suggest campgrounds for us? Our preference is one that does not require reservations, but I assume this is the wrong place and time of year to wish for such. Feel free to give me the 'where to' and the 'where not to' camp suggestions.

Thanks,
Jason

Hello Jason,
There is one CG just outside the entrance to GC-South Rim that I can recall...it's Grand Canyon Camper Village.  All the reviews we've ever heard are 'not so good'. Even Trailer Life only gives it a 3/5/4. We won't stay in anything less than a 7 unless it's just an overnighter. There may be other CG in the area but I'm not aware of them since it's been at least 5 or 6 years since we were there. The only advantage at that CGs would be that it's is in town.  Close to the IMAX theater and the airport (where you can do heli-tours of the Grand Canyon) and some restaurants. We did the helicopter tour and it was wonderful.  Maybe someone else that's been there recently would have more info.

My recommendation would be to stay in the park.  We've always stayed inside the NP at Trailer Village. There are no pools there that I can remember, however, we don't do pools so I can't speak with any real certainty.  Trailer Village is not a resort but it is quiet and comfortable (30 amp only tho).  Some spaces are a bit tight...but do-able.  Reservations are a must at this time of year.  In fact the sooner you call, the better.  You can also make reservations at reserveamerica.com.  Much easier and you can see what spots are available (if any).

I know it's not much info...but it's all I know...and I hope it helps some!

I would also recommend staying in the park. You can walk to the park shuttle, you can walk to the rim area for shopping, eating and viewing. No pools but you don't need a pool when you're at Grand Canyon - you've got Grand Canyon !!

Wendy

We have stayed in Flagstaff. You also have easy access to Sedona and other sites. It's a pretty ride to the Canyon. Just an alternative thought.

Wendy said:
I would also recommend staying in the park. You can walk to the park shuttle, you can walk to the rim area for shopping, eating and viewing. No pools but you don't need a pool when you're at Grand Canyon - you've got Grand Canyon !!

Wendy

When you say, stay "in the park", Do you mean there is a park in the GC that you can stay in your RV? 

Yes...there is a campground inside Grand Canyon National Park named "Trailer Village" located appx. 1/2 mile (as the crow flies) from the lookouts.  Full hookups (30 amps only).

You can reserve a spot on ReserveAmerica.com.  That's how I did it!

Hello All...

It is decided...I think. We chose to do state parks for the entire trip. Interested? http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=115036163589206396414.00046c9470e0c92188945&ll=37.230328,-100.019531&spn=12.268551,38.71582&z=5
We are leaving July 12. Any feedback concerning our stops or the route is welcome.

Thanks,
Jason

Attachments

• Trip Calendar.xls
    25.5 KB · Views: 26
Have you made reservations at all the SPs you anticipate using along the way?  This time of year it would be prudent.  If not, have an alternate plan/campground to fall back on.  Pick up a Trailer Life Campground Book for assurance of places to stay.  I would hate to see your vacation ruined because there "was no room at the inn".  We usually don't rely on reservations, but we tend to not visit the big touristy places during the summer months.  We are retired and no summer vacations are involved for us. 

Daisy

I see you plan on staying at Lake Eufala in Oklahoma. We stayed there 2 years ago on our way to Nashville. There were lots of trees with an open area in the middle. Plenty of campsites available mid-week. The camp hosts followed us around the campground while we found the "best" campsite. It was hot and humid.

Enjoy your trip
Wendy

I agree with staying at Trailer Village in the park.  We stayed there last year and it's a great place to headquarter while exploring all there is to do at Grand Canyon.  There is no pool or other "amenities" at the campground, but you are at the edge of one of the wonders of the world! You can walk or ride to all the attractions including shopping, food, exhibits, hikes or mule rides into the canyon, and a trail along the rim with fantastic views!  There is a shuttle that covers all of the South Rim and stops at the campground so you may not even use your car while there.  Jump on it and see the wonders.  You'll forget about the pool!

The sites are roomy and level, with full hookups.  We even had a monster 14 point Mule Deer wandering around a few yards from the Motor Home!

Reservations are a must.  Check it out at this website:

http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging-705.html

TexasH said:
I agree with staying at Trailer Village in the park.  We stayed there last year and it's a great place to headquarter while exploring all there is to do at Grand Canyon.  There is no pool or other "amenities" at the campground, but you are at the edge of one of the wonders of the world! You can walk or ride to all the attractions including shopping, food, exhibits, hikes or mule rides into the canyon, and a trail along the rim with fantastic views!   There is a shuttle that covers all of the South Rim and stops at the campground so you may not even use your car while there.  Jump on it and see the wonders.  You'll forget about the pool!

The sites are roomy and level, with full hookups.  We even had a monster 14 point Mule Deer wandering around a few yards from the Motor Home!

Reservations are a must.  Check it out at this website:

http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging-705.html

Oh, come on now, there certainly are pools on the south rim of the Grand Canyon. And they are free. Merely hike down the Bright Angel Trail a few hundred yards and you will pass several of them that were created by the mules. Of course they are not very deep, but you will have no chance of drowning in one of them.

Trip highlights: Lake Eufaula State Park (OK) gets a big thumbs up. They have a "Frogatorium" there. Only in America. Moving westward, we stopped at the cross in Groom, TX. This thing is huge. Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood, AZ is our home for four nights. Nice park. Poor location for us and our planned sightseeing. We should have stayed in the Flagstaff area. Everything was a long drive away. Everything. From here, we drove to Grand Canyon National Park (wow, what a spectacle), Hoover Dam (a must see...take the guided tour...have you seen the huge bridge they are now building 1/4 south of the dam?) and Las Vegas (four hours in Vegas was not enough) and Meteor Crater (this is an incredibly large hole in the ground...you gotta see this). After this, we decided to not continue staying in state parks. State parks are beautiful destinations, but not a great choice for us to be close to our intended sight seeing stops. Traveling further south, we went to Canyon Lake (for a swim in the most scenic lake you might ever see - but I do not recommend pulling your 30' travel trailer on the road out there from the Apache Junction area...we were caught in a severe thunderstorm on the way out and because of the narrow cliff-side winding, twisting roads, it was very nerve racking), Old Tucson Studios (fun stop for the entire family), Goldfield Ghosttown (not so fun stop for the entire family), Tombstone and the OK Corral. You have to drive through this area and see the cactus. We highly recommend a similar trip for anyone who has never been to Arizona. Plan all your routes carefully if you have anything longer than 20 ft. There are many, many cliff-side roads with tight turns in this area. (Note to self: Don't forget to find route planners for travel trailers.)
Trip stats: 4800 miles driven, leave home on July 11 at 8AM, return home on July 25 at 3AM, 7 mpg trip average, lost one trailer jack somewhere in northern AZ, one repair stop, camped at three state parks and four KOAs, 5  people had lots of fun.

DeadHorseCampGround is a really cool CG  -- stayed there for a few days a couple of years ago -- good dinner/show at 3M RAnch(??) - base for Sedona - Jerome - train - balloon ride  -- BUT a LONG way from GrandCanyon. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom